Subwoofer(s) - Brand(s), How Many, Active/Passive ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Surfing the net - I've noticed threads about subwoofers on many of the other big audio discussion boards, but not one on QQ, it seems to me that the needs for surround sound could be significantly different (1 bookshelf speaker + 1 subwoofer * 4 instead of 4 full range speakers, for example).

I bought 2 Polk PSW108 active subwoofers in 2018, one in my basement system and one upstairs for my planned media room.

Very recently, I've noticed that the PSW108 has to be turned down some (to prevent rattles) for a few recent movies - Oppenheimer for one, I'm considering getting a different subwoofer (maybe Polk, maybe another brand).

What brand(s) and type(s) of subwoofer(s) do you have (and recommend)?

Anyone using 2 different brands of subwoofers in their surround sound system?

Kirk Bayne

I run 2 HSU VTF-15K2. Plenty of oomph. Not bad price wise. I had one and two definitely evened out the response. SVS is a great. I have some 2ch friends that use Rythmik and I've enjoyed those.

I'm not a huge bass guy, so these two are just fine for me.

Currently using a Klipsch R-121-SW II [Reference Series 12"]

Pairs nice with the small Energy speakers that comprise the remainder of the 5.1 setup. Super deep but punchy in the 60-100hz range which is the sweet spot for most music I play. Crossover is at to 150hz with the Energy speakers. Handles those upper bass frequencies very well despite its size. This is a 'budget' system compared to many in this space. I like to think I've managed a lot from very little, or at least enough for my 1-5 hours/week playing surround music.

I had the PSW 10 inch prior to this Klipsch, it finally died after 6 or 7 years. I was pleased with the Polk and the Polk I had prior, which was also one of their budget model subs. Neither of the Polks were anywhere near as great overall as the Klipsch. And when on sale, the Klipsch isn't that much more money. Highly recommend spending a bit more for real returns.

Getting two subs make sense for really large rooms or in unique situations where the room shape/design/acoustics demands it. But for most of us, all that's really needed is proper placement in the room and crossover setting with the remaining speakers in the system.

Subwoofer --> Polk HTS 12" anyone?

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/subwoofer-polk-hts-12-anyone.769241/

Polk-HTS12-Subwoofer-PowerPort.jpg

I boight an Outlaw sub, probably in 2014, so it’s about a decade old, and it’s been doing a fine job for me. Once in a while, it doesn’t sense the input, but the threshold for coming out of standby seems pretty close to just above nothing.

Just one sub, located about in the middle of the room, and doubling as a spot to put my drink when I’m in the main chair.

Surfing the net - I've noticed threads about subwoofers on many of the other big audio discussion boards, but not one on QQ, it seems to me that the needs for surround sound could be significantly different (1 bookshelf speaker + 1 subwoofer * 4 instead of 4 full range speakers, for example).

I bought 2 Polk PSW108 active subwoofers in 2018, one in my basement system and one upstairs for my planned media room.

Very recently, I've noticed that the PSW108 has to be turned down some (to prevent rattles) for a few recent movies - Oppenheimer for one, I'm considering getting a different subwoofer (maybe Polk, maybe another brand).

What brand(s) and type(s) of subwoofer(s) do you have (and recommend)?

Anyone using 2 different brands of subwoofers in their surround sound system?

Kirk Bayne

Time for some audio housekeeping Kirk! Download some low frequency test tones and then track down and address those annoying sympathetic low frequency rattles...

We use a quartet of Seaton Submersive HP subs spread out in a Distributed Bass Array- pairs of subs placed at the 1/4 wave points along the front and rear walls of the listening room in our case. The modal averaging of the bottom octaves afforded by the DBA along with a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 providing time alignment for the nearer pair of subs along with PEQ for all four subwoofers results in smooth effortless low distortion bass which seamlessly hands off to my stand mounted mains.

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 2.24.45 PM.png

Last edited:
I have a question for you sub guys.
I have my audio rack with my L/R front speakers to outside of rack and two subs (REL's 3 total, 12' X 14' room) to outside of the speakers.
I see most have there subs to the inside and speakers to the outside.
My rears, two, are set closer to wall then fronts.
So if my rears are say 6" off the wall my fronts are 2' off wall.
If I remember correctly I think I did it this way because of my seat, making the perfect triangle.
I know the answer, experiment.
But I was wondering if there was a simple explanation as to why subs to the inside at front.

I have my audio rack with my L/R front speakers to outside of rack and two subs (REL's 3 total, 12' X 14' room) to outside of the speakers.
If I remember correctly I think I did it this way because of my seat, making the perfect triangle.
But I was wondering if there was a simple explanation as to why subs to the inside at front.
I suspect it often has to do with the triangle you mentioned. If the seating position is a decent distance from the fronts, say 10-12 feet, it might make sense to put the subs inside the mains. There can also be the consideration of a projector screen.

As for my subs, I have two sealed 15-inch subs from the defunct AV123 in my living room system. In my media room system, I have two SVS SB-1000s up front and a Klipsch R-10SW and an Emotiva BasX S8 on the sides. Some people say not to mix subs, but those work to my satisfaction in my media room.

If you've carefully placed your loudspeakers for best image and soundstage performance, it is highly unlikely that this location also offers the best measured low frequency performance. Due to the way that low frequencies propagate within typical domestic listening spaces, the optimal placement for your subwoofer(s) is apt to be a place completely divorced from your mains.

There are acoustic modeling software apps like CARA which will provide some starting point placement locations for subwoofers and speakers based upon predicted modal behavior and ray tracing. However how solidly your room's walls, floor, and ceiling were constructed can and will have a huge impact on prediction vs measured reality when it comes to the lowest octaves a subwoofer is responsible for. Ideal subwoofer placement location(s) are best derived through multiple time consuming iterative test placement and measurement cycles.

Last edited:
You need REW and a calibrated mic to know for sure the best locations for multiple subs.

Takes all the guessing out of the equation. It also enables you to maximize the integration of your subs to the speakers.

Multiple placement and measurement cycles can certainly help if you have enough time and inclination and enough placement options within your room.

No more than about $1000 (seems like a lot, but I'm still using my 40+ year old Polk Monitor 4s, so this amount spread over many years isn't that much).

Kirk Bayne

Well $1,000 isn't that much in the world of subs :)

I'm a big believer, given a fixed price point, in two smaller subs vs. one large one. Unless you have a near perfect room, one subwoofer will undoubtedly have nulls. A second sub will also have nulls but at different locations. Combined you'll get a much flatter response and eliminate the individual nulls.

From a value standpoint, I'm also a big believer in Internet Direct Companies over the likes of Polk, Kilpsch, REL, and so forth. Not that the latter are necessarily inferior or anything, just that there is better value in IDC.

@DrKlahn gives great advice. Try to stretch the budget a bit and look at dual Rythmik LV12M Direct or HSU VTF-2 MK5

Another great option and within your budget would be dual Speedwoofer 10S MKII. These come highly rated on AVS.

I have 2 sets of dual SVS-2000 sealed subs. Together they handle anything I will ever throw out. I got a pair direct from SVS and the other pair I bought 1 at a time as B stock, but still can't find any issues. Hands down one of the best values out there for subs.

Keep in mind, I am happy with my setup, others may agree or disagree, but SVS has a great budget friendly lineup. I don't know why anyone who doesn't live in an auditorium would need anything bigger than a pair of 10" subs.

Back