Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Missing multis AFAIK
You are particially right and wrong, hwere is what I found

The album has been re-issued remastered several times using tapes from different sessions. The master tapes for the Olympic sessions are believed to be lost, as Virgin Recordsthrew out a substantial number of old recordings when they purchased the studio in the 1980s.[49] Video game publisher Harmonix wanted to release Who's Next as downloadable, playable content for the music video game series Rock Band, but were unable to do so due to difficulty finding the original multi track recordings. Instead, a compilation of Who songs dubbed "The Best of The Who," which includes three of the album's songs ("Behind Blue Eyes", "Baba O'Riley", and "Going Mobile"), was released as downloadable content, in lieu of the earlier-promised Who's Next album.[50] The 16-track tapes to "Won't Get Fooled Again" and the 8-track tapes to the other material except "Bargain" and "Getting In Tune" have since been discovered.

I'll repeat what's stated upthread: the reality is that Dutton-Vocalion is a niche label specializing in easy listening and classical material. We're unbelievably lucky they are starting to issue titles outside their comfort zone (RTF, PPL, Santana, Garfunkel, ToP, etc) just for us.

Not to mention that the reissue/preservation of ANY quad material is a win for the membership of this forum. And hey, maybe some people actually like this stuff, so I think it's a little harsh to write it off as "settling".
Absolutely agreed. My comment wasn't so much about the label as it was about us. Tenacity can be a positive quality.

Oh yes....don't forget to add

Who's Next by none other than The Who.....A MUST IN MULTI CHANNEL.....I have no idea why it hasn't been done yet
I feel like there's suggestions...and there's fantasies. I'd love Who's Next in multichannel, but the odds that we'd get it from D-V seem like almost zero. I know they went a bit more pop with some releases, but that was still second-tier stuff (some of it fun, no doubt, but the license fees for Pure Prarie League couldn't have been that bad). The odds they'd do Aerosmith alone seem slight, let alone doing a new multichannel mix from a band where Pete Townshend tends to want to be involved in such mixes, failing hearing and all.

I know, being a curmudgeon. But this thread has a possibility of being helpful for suggesting releases that are in the general realm of possibility for Dutton-Vocalion but which they may not have thought of.. Maybe SteelyDave will tell me that I'm off the mark on this, but they haven't gone into the game of A-level releases by major labels outside of classical.

Incidentally, it doesn't seem wholly impossible that Michael Dutton would be interested in doing original quad mixes in certain cases. He's already done it a few times in the classical realm. Not sure he'd do it outside of that realm but it might be plausible?

Purely from a business standpoint though, the traditional audience for easy listening music is on a rapid decline, as far as pure numbers is concerned. Yes, they can count on a few new listeners ... but they are far better off expanding into more rock, jazz and blues titles if they want to grow. They simply can't sustain their business with a market segment that is well-into their 70s and 80s.
Their business is releasing somewhat dated music for which the license fees are low (along with classical, which is its own market). As time moves forward they'll continue to do so in different genres, but that doesn't mean they'll go into the market of A-list titles. Could be wrong, of course.

Don't many of their releases prove that those interested in quad will listen to pretty much anything released in that format? Ray Conniff? Percy Faith?

Indeed!

Let's hope that there is lots more from Ray Conniff. I was very pleasantly surprised how excellent his music is.
And while we're at it one wonders whether there might be any quadraphonic delights from James Last and Bert Kaempfert.

Variety is the spice of life.

Purely from a business standpoint though, the traditional audience for easy listening music is on a rapid decline, as far as pure numbers is concerned. Yes, they can count on a few new listeners ... but they are far better off expanding into more rock, jazz and blues titles if they want to grow. They simply can't sustain their business with a market segment that is well-into their 70s and 80s.

Some of us may be old and decrepit, but we haven't snuffed it yet.

Indeed!

Let's hope that there is lots more from Ray Conniff. I was very pleasantly surprised how excellent his music is.
And while we're at it one wonders whether there might be any quadraphonic delights from James Last and Bert Kaempfert.

We will just have to agree to disagree on the Muzak.

Indeed!

James Last has several Q8 released in Canada (at least 4) and a supposed QS album, so it is possible to mine in that direction.

There are loads of Rock, Jazz, Blues and Folk artists that aren't currently considered first-tier sellers who have released titles in quad ... Argent, Babe Ruth, Joan Baez, Black Oak Arkansas, Brecker Brothers, Willie Dixon, Dyzan, Duke Ellington, David Essex, Jose Feliciano, Dizzy Gillespie, Arlo Guthrie, John Lee Hooker, Janis Ian, Tommy James & the Shondells, Big Willie Johnson, B.B. King, Bonnie Koloc, Krokodil, Jerry Lee Lewis, Dave Mason, Lee Michaels, Nine Days Wonder, Passport, Raiders, Rare Earth, Redbone, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Savoy Brown, Three Dog Night ... to name a few.

There are loads of Rock, Jazz, Blues and Folk artists that aren't currently considered first-tier sellers who have released titles in quad ... Argent, Babe Ruth, Joan Baez, Black Oak Arkansas, Brecker Brothers, Willie Dixon, Dyzan, Duke Ellington, David Essex, Jose Feliciano, Dizzy Gillespie, Arlo Guthrie, John Lee Hooker, Janis Ian, Tommy James & the Shondells, Big Willie Johnson, B.B. King, Bonnie Koloc, Krokodil, Jerry Lee Lewis, Dave Mason, Lee Michaels, Nine Days Wonder, Passport, Raiders, Rare Earth, Redbone, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Savoy Brown, Three Dog Night ... to name a few.

Those are some great picks- the only ones that can really be ruled out are the ABC/GRT quads since the masters are allegedly gone.

Personally I'd like to hear the Columbia/Sony stuff first- the Dave Mason, David Essex, and Raiders quads in particular would be amazing on SACD

Back