Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read before that a lot of the GRT masters are gone, but if they still exist and could be located Rufus' Rags To Rufus & Rufusized would make for a killer two-fer. Rags has an excellent quad mix and two big hits to capitalize on ("Tell Me Something Good", "You Got The Love").

I've read before that a lot of the GRT masters are gone, but if they still exist and could be located Rufus' Rags To Rufus & Rufusized would make for a killer two-fer. Rags has an excellent quad mix and two big hits to capitalize on ("Tell Me Something Good", "You Got The Love").

I 100% agree with them fine tunes from Rags to Rufus. Still got the LP I bought in 1974...featuring the now legendary Chaka Khan.
Always liked it from the first groove to the last.

Problem with ABC and it's GRT-released tapes is that neither GRT, nor ABC exist anymore. So anything that might have been left at the GRT duplication houses probably either got turfed or taken home by the workers. That's sort of evidenced by how many GRT-reproduced titles we've seen have their master tapes appear on eBay over the years.
I'm not 100% how the process worked, but I'm sure a master tape was sent to GRT and duplication masters created from that tape. Now, did that first Master have to be returned or destroyed? Problem comes from if it were returned to ABC, by 1978, it was almost certainly destroyed or disposed of during the great purge. That is of course, unless some artists (such as in the case of Jim Croce) the artist/estate had paid the tape fees and was allowed to keep them. If it were destroyed, it was either destroyed or snuck into private hands. Then comes the big issue of does that person still have the tapes, were they stored properly, are they willing to do anything with them? Ugh. headaches.

We do know that some DO exist in private hands. Would be quite an ordeal to get those master tapes into the right hands, prepped, baked, digitized and then throw on top all the legal issues that I'm sure would come along with something like this.

There will be more surprises from a different label right around the corner............announcement should come in time for the Christmas holidays.....or sooner.

I'm also wondering whether the days of 2 QUAD albums on a single SACD are over as their newest batch [Sept. 2018] are ALL single albums. Without being privy to sales figures, one can only wonder how those titles, even at bargain prices, sold.

if Mofi start doing Quad SACDs again this Christmas, I'll cry jingle balls all the way!!! :ROFLMAO::QQlove

I don't think it works financially in the US market at this time for surround layers on standalone discs. Licensing is too high.

It seems to be that one of several factors needs to be involved. I'd like to be wrong, but....

1. surround is included in a box set with other expensive goodies
2. artist owns the masters, and is a part of the release, not having to license anything
3. it's already been mastered and issued, reissue does not have to deal with transferring tapes because there is already a digital (surround) master that sounds fine
4. European or German label, where licensing is much cheaper.
5. superstar release that will sell at least 50,000 units, so it's not a drain on profits so much
6. and finally, album is a b-grade title, and label is thankful someone wants to do something with it.

Man you are full of negativity. First it's "why won't D-V do any rock?" and then they do, and then it's "the rock D-V did isn't A-list!!". Maybe you should take a step back and look at the quantity and quality of what's come out this year alone compared to the two years previous. Start with the two Art Garfunkel albums, which have never been licensed for reissue by any label, ever, and you got them in audiophile-quality quad SACD. Not to mention the excellent Guess Who (I'd much rather have Road Food and #10 than a single disc GH v2) and Derringer (have you even checked to see if the Winter albums are OOP in the UK? They'd have to be for D-V to reissue them) two-fers (artists people have been asking for for years) and the recent Poco disc that might be one of the best-sounding, best-reviewed quad discs to date, and that's just in the last six months! As for country, you got the Lynn Anderson 2fer this year as well, which I believe is the first pair of straight country/western albums to see quad reissue on SACD - Rose Garden is one of the top selling country albums of all time, and the Greatest Hits album contains a further four Billboard Country #1s.

Maybe you should look at the way things are trending and think about the quick timescale that they've happened on, especially in light of the glacial pace that some other audiophile reissue companies work at.

A Little Night Music and the Rubenstein/Barenboim Beethoven Concertos discs are double LP sets on a single disc, and the Alexander Nevsky and Citizen Kane discs both feature bonus tracks. To fit two albums on to a single SACD, both albums need to be less than 40 minutes - I wouldn't read anything in to the arrangement of albums on a single month's release, especially when the majority of the discs feature more than an album's worth of material.

Thanks for the intervention...this seems like a repeat of the AF period...everybody loved Marshal and then they didn't...at first they just took for granted what he was doing for us...then it evolved into outright criticism...it's not enough that Dutton is giving us superb quality..but at an unbelievable price point..

It's not looking good for A-List rock titles on D/V. After all these months, and waiting, and waiting, and even praying, and we could not even get Best of The Guess Who Vol. 2 as a single disc? Got Derringer but no Winter. No Waylon, but Chet Atkins yes.

I am still thrilled that D/V stepped up and corrected the missing Return to Forever quad later -- that I felt I should have gotten (from AF) but didn't. But I am beginning to accept that a really hot rock (A-List) title is not right around the corner. :cry::cry::cry:

Wow....that's really sad there haven't been any A-List Titles titles released...and you waiting all those months...geeze...what a tragic event....oh wait...what about that Fleetwood Mac album...and that Gun's & Roses release...that does seem A-List to me...and the Big Pink...and a little group called the Beatles has one due soon...and a fella that played in that band...Mr. Lennon...his album sold a few copies...oh yea...that Jimi Hendrix dude...he's got 2 stereo hi rez releases coming along with a surround title...I think you might have heard of him...he's sorta A-List...and there was Styx.....Alan Parsons...Billy Joel...and the Doobie Brothers set is coming soon

Of all the times to complain about not getting surround releases...THIS ISN'T IT...we are getting so many A-Title releases that a lot of people are finding it hard to buy them all...and then there is you...waiting and praying for what?...Best of The Guess Who Vol 2:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I realize D-V's been doing the SACD gig for a while but only recently.... about what, a year - for the Pop Stuff? Give it time. Just like with Audio Fidelity, they're working with everybody else's schedule. The longest portion of time involves requesting, locating, and receiving permission to use the albums/tapes what have you.

The music industry has become so political, it'll make your eyes cross.

The Artist may say yes, the tapes will be located and readied but Management (if the artist doesn't manage themselves) may say No.
Or, Management says yes, the artist says yes, the corporation says yes BUT...... the tapes cannot be located or their only copy is damaged and unplayable.
There's so many variations it's close to fucking miraculous that we've gotten what we have over the last couple of months!!!

Do like I do. Gather together your Audio-Fidelity discs..... then gather together your Dutton-Vocalion discs and take a few steps back.
Then, consider now that we've been gifted with over 50 classic, Quadraphonic albums in the last couple years.

Remember now, this was stuff that was written off and regarded by the masses as "a failure" or "an exercise in futility" or "it sounds funny".

It's 2018 and we're getting QUAD in full fidelity unimaginable back in the day. If you ask me, I think that's pretty damned awesome.

So, sit back, relax, have a beer, light a blunt (if you're so inclined) and just enjoy what we have. It's easy to get excited over this stuff and we're a very passionate bunch but sometimes we just have to let things play out. There's more to come. I'm sure.

Quad SACD 001.JPG

it was a while ago (10+ years now) but MFSL did a small series of some Classical Quads from the Vox/Turnabout catalogue on Surround SACD.

Speaking of rare events...Mobile Fidelity was able to get the master tapes of Beatles material in 1981...it is the only time the master tapes have ever left Abbey Road Studios..

So, sit back, relax, have a beer, light a blunt (if you're so inclined) and just enjoy what we have. It's easy to get excited over this stuff and we're a very passionate bunch but sometimes we just have to let things play out. There's more to come. I'm sure.

View attachment 35461

Great point. That's one heck of a stack of SACDs! When you pile up the AF's and the D-V's, it makes a much better case for SACD longevity than having 100's of SACD's coming out in the Far East with artists we have no clue about (or real desire to listen to).

IMHO, AF started it and DV is keeping the 5.1 SACD flame not just burning, but TORCHING!! :)

I realize D-V's been doing the SACD gig for a while but only recently.... about what, a year - for the Pop Stuff? Give it time. Just like with Audio Fidelity, they're working with everybody else's schedule. The longest portion of time involves requesting, locating, and receiving permission to use the albums/tapes what have you.

The music industry has become so political, it'll make your eyes cross.

The Artist may say yes, the tapes will be located and readied but Management (if the artist doesn't manage themselves) may say No.
Or, Management says yes, the artist says yes, the corporation says yes BUT...... the tapes cannot be located or their only copy is damaged and unplayable.
There's so many variations it's close to fucking miraculous that we've gotten what we have over the last couple of months!!!

Do like I do. Gather together your Audio-Fidelity discs..... then gather together your Dutton-Vocalion discs and take a few steps back.
Then, consider now that we've been gifted with over 50 classic, Quadraphonic albums in the last couple years.

Remember now, this was stuff that was written off and regarded by the masses as "a failure" or "an exercise in futility" or "it sounds funny".

It's 2018 and we're getting QUAD in full fidelity unimaginable back in the day. If you ask me, I think that's pretty damned awesome.

View attachment 35461

mmmmmm... when you rack it all up like that, that's a delicious Tower Of Quad Power SACDs you got there!!!! nom nom nom nom!! :ROFLMAO:
we have indeed been most fortunate to have had all these Quad treasures resurrected in stunning Surround SACD fashion by both AF and DV.

(plus, do I spy to the right, a glimpse of a scrummy cart of the super scarce REO Speedwagon "This Time We Mean It" Q8... a truly fabulous Rock Quad mix by any measure!!! drool drool, that's too cool for school...!!!! :rocks )

on a personal note, i'm hoping the next DV Rock/Pop announcement is going to be the one to top all announcements thus far and that then we'll all be saying "this time they really mean it". :phones

Speaking of rare events...Mobile Fidelity was able to get the master tapes of Beatles material in 1981...it is the only time the master tapes have ever left Abbey Road Studios..

That MFSL was a far superior MFSL than today's MFSL. The Brad Miller MFSL would never have released a title that had a quad release without the quad layer as well. Brad was a surround pioneer. Today's MFSL is owned by a music reseller, and while they have done a decent job they are more bottom lined these days, and of course the market is a lot different in 2018 than it was in the '80s.

Great point. That's one heck of a stack of SACDs! When you pile up the AF's and the D-V's, it makes a much better case for SACD longevity than having 100's of SACD's coming out in the Far East with artists we have no clue about (or real desire to listen to).

IMHO, AF and DV are keeping the 5.1 SACD flame not just burning, but TORCHING!! :)

Speaking of bringing things back to life...like the quad format....receivers(and yes they still are selling them)are now "adding" phono slots again...due to the recent interest in vinyl....they had been eliminated on a lot of brands...

IMHO, AF started it and DV is keeping the 5.1 SACD flame not just burning, but TORCHING!! :)

<<<< what the man just said! ;)

FLAME ON!! :devilish:
ROCK ON!!! :rocks

Thank you Steelydave for clarifying my [admitted] error regarding D~V's September 2018 releases. I woke up bleary eyed the morning they were announced, noticed ubertrout's listing of the five new titles and without delving into the fact that some were INDEED double SACDs, I pressed BUY as I've done with ALL of D~V's QUAD SACD releases.

As for knocking D~V's lack of A list Rockers and the fact that quicksrt was peeved that D~V didn't release [horrors] Best of Guess Who Volume 2, I wouldn't really take that seriously as D~V has indeed enriched our musical palettes with some much sought after and IMO eclectic titles which I wouldn't have even thought of adding to my collection.

We ARE a tough bunch at QQ and we do want what WE want but as we should've learned over the years.......that will never be the case.

As Clinty has pointed out, we are [finally] getting more than our share of A~listers from the majors, albeit at a price, and ironically it's coming towards the end of what many naysayers [read: the downloaders] term 'physical disc replication.'

As for fredblue's [moist] dream that MoFi will reverse their STEREO strategy and start releasing QUAD/5.1 releases.......all I can say, Adam, is:

Last edited:
...So, sit back, relax, have a beer, light a blunt (if you're so inclined) and just enjoy what we have. It's easy to get excited over this stuff and we're a very passionate bunch but sometimes we just have to let things play out. There's more to come. I'm sure.

(y)(y)(y)

...and man that's one hell of a Q8 lineup on the side. Super jealous.

Thank you Steelydave for clarifying my [admitted] error regarding D~V's September 2018 releases. I woke up bleary eyed the morning they were announced, noticed ubertrout's listing of the five new titles and without delving into the fact that some were INDEED double SACDs, I pressed BUY as I've done with ALL of D~V's QUAD SACD releases.

As for knocking D~V's lack of A list Rockers and the fact that quicksrt was peeved that D~V didn't release [horrors] Best of Guess Who Volume 2, I wouldn't really take that seriously as D~V has indeed enriched our musical palettes with some much sought after and IMO eclectic titles which I wouldn't have even thought of adding to my collection.

We ARE a tough bunch at QQ and we do want what WE want but as we should've learned over the years.......that will never be the case.

As Clinty has pointed out, we are [finally] getting more than our share of A~listers from the majors, albeit at a price, and ironically it's coming towards the end of what many naysayers [read: the downloaders] term 'physical disc replication.'

As for fredblue's [moist] dream that MoFi will reverse their STEREO strategy and start releasing QUAD/5.1 releases.......all I can say, Adam, is:

no shit, sugar tits! :whistle: :love:

Back