Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you write that while on 'The Midnight Train to Georgia'? Pipped you.....
When my wife and I got married 32 years ago our first dance was to "You're The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me." When people subsequently have asked me(in my wife's presence) what our wedding song was, I always answer, "I'm Leaving On The Midnight Train To Georgia"(as my wife rolls her eyes!).

Without fully knowing how many initial pressings of any given title are ordered, it's hard to gauge the success of D~V's QUAD program. MoFi is now only ordering 2000~3000 pressings of any given title, both SACD and Vinyl, so that's a relative given. At one time I believe they ordered 10K.

At any rate, thankfully I've ordered every Pop/Rock/Easy Listening SACD title [even stereo] and approximately 90% of Epoch's classical QUAD titles which D~V has produced. How could I afford NOT to at those attractive prices, mostly especially the two fers. And if anyone has been paying attention, there have been absolutely no screw ups with the mastering/replication of ALL those D~V titles. Talk about fanatical quality control. Bravo, D~V!

See the source image

Last edited:
Hey I’ve been a good lit’l Mutt 🐶(mostly), I deserve a big ‘ol batch 🎁of shinny new Watford wonderfuls⏳ for Christmas 🎼💝🎅🏻

for being such a good boy this year the Dutton elves will bring you their 5.1 remix of How Much Is That Doggy In The Window with the dogbone-us treat track Puppy Love!! 😻

for being such a good boy this year the Dutton elves will bring you their 5.1 remix of How Much Is That Doggy In The Window with the dogbone-us treat track Puppy Love!! 😻
Sorry to say I remember Perry Como and Paul Anka and both of those songs when they were hits and enjoyed them both. Not so much now though. I still enjoy some Perry Como but not so much for Mr. Anka.

I would love to get an Arlo Guthrie two-fer from DV. 'Last of the Brooklyn Cowboys' was released on a quad reel tape (I have one I could loan them), and Arlo's Greatest Hits would be a great addition … 'Comin' Into Los Angeles' and 'City of New Orleans' would be fantastic, and 'Alice's Restaurant' is a must-have (even if there wouldn't be much surround effect).

SD-3030.JPG

For all you Quad People who know everything, I was thinking about the upcoming MOFI release of Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida which of course would be a fantastic surround release but was wondering if The Chambers Brothers could have a twofer Quad release, that would be cool, man.
View attachment 44733View attachment 44734

YES, YES.....a THOUSAND TIMES YES ........ THE TIME HAS COME!

But MOST unfortunately, according to the QUADRAPHONIC DISCOGRAPHY neither album was ever remixed in QUAD!

Here's a suggestion for next Christmas how about a twofer of Buffy Sainte-Marie of Moonshot and Illuminations? They are on the Vanguard label. Who owns that now? There are a few other quad pickings on that label too.

Vanguard is now owned by the Concord Music Group. They haven't been fans of Multichannel disc releases. So that may be a long shot.

The ownership of Concord changed between the time of the 30 Surround Sound SACDs and today.
The new ownership has been uninterested in Multichannel when it comes to disc releases.
A real shame too, as some of those Concord Jazz releases like the Maynard Ferguson, are special to me!

The ownership of Concord changed between the time of the 30 Surround Sound SACDs and today.
The new ownership has been uninterested in Multichannel when it comes to disc releases.

still i guess licencing their old Quads may not entirely be off the table.. but that is so sad to hear... 😢

I'm happy to say I've almost run out of suggestions, mostly due to the fact that D-V has actually released many of my suggestions.

I can only think of a few unreleased titles now, and the rest are supposedly off the table like Jerry Reed, Johnny & Edgar Winter, Paul Simon, etc.

Maybe Burton Cummings' 1976 self-titled debut?
There are FIVE Mac Davis titles to choose from and all of them have pretty decent mixes and all have at least a hit or two.
I would imagine any of the Elvis titles are all locked down and untouchable.
Still wouldn't mind some Dolly Parton or the single Waylon outing.

I'm happy to say I've almost run out of suggestions, mostly due to the fact that D-V has actually released many of my suggestions.

I can only think of a few unreleased titles now, and the rest are supposedly off the table like Jerry Reed, Johnny & Edgar Winter, Paul Simon, etc.

Maybe Burton Cummings' 1976 self-titled debut?
There are FIVE Mac Davis titles to choose from and all of them have pretty decent mixes and all have at least a hit or two.
I would imagine any of the Elvis titles are all locked down and untouchable.
Still wouldn't mind some Dolly Parton or the single Waylon outing.
Waylon, Dolly and Mac would all be instant purchases for me. Dream come true.....if so.

Back