Surround Albums to AVOID!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, you can assume that about me: i'm a baggins-wanna-be! is there an emoji for that? Stay Surrounded, Comrade!👝🅱❓:SB
I could have worded my response to Pups a little better. What I do assume is that anyone who hangs around QQ has had ample opportunity, via video and text formats, to know where I stand on Hemispheres.
Whether they've read the Hemispheres poll thread or not, I can't know.

A real stinker : :poop:
No not the shitin n hope release mentioned earlier!!

Rory Gallagher : Big Guns the Very Worst Of.

Probably the use of all deserving adjectives like, dull, lifeless, hopeless, lazy and a downright shame for this Rory fan.
Yes I was really disappointed when I got it, and the sound quality isn't that good either. I have every Rory Gallagher album. He was brilliant live the two times I saw him.

David Bowie - Station to Station. A brilliant album marred by an awful, unadventurous 5.1 mix.

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Live in NYC. Performances are amazing, but the fidelity is low, often harsh. The surround mix is uninspired. Pretty much just muddy arena ambience in the rear speakers.

David Bowie - Station to Station. A brilliant album marred by an awful, unadventurous 5.1 mix.

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Live in NYC. Performances are amazing, but the fidelity is low, often harsh. The surround mix is uninspired. Pretty much just muddy arena ambience in the rear speakers.
Totally agreed on StS. (n)(n)

As for Live in NYC, sounds good to my ears. Bob Clearmountain mix, afterall...
I have the SACD and the DVD concert video. Both sound fine on my system.

As for Live in NYC, sounds good to my ears. Bob Clearmountain mix, afterall...
I have the SACD and the DVD concert video. Both sound fine on my system.

I have both too. Wish I could be more enthusiastic about it. I was in the 12th row in front of Nils Lofgren at the show where 75% of this was recorded/filmed. It was an amazing evening.

Yep I fully endorse some of the earlier mentions... ☹

I’d also add...

George Harrison - Live In Japan SACD
Live albums can be a bit of a red herring in terms of surround - but this takes the biscuit. Nails on a chalkboard!

Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune SACD
Such a shame as this is a great album. But the mix is total pants! [In the UK ‘pants’ mean underpants, which has more of a negative connotation than trousers 😎] I actually think there might have been a technical hiccup on this? 🤔

I’m sure there are more unfortunately. I could even say the recent Allman Bros Atmos mixes on Tidal sound like turd...

Who’s gonna call out ‘Crash, Bang, Wallop’... ?!

Last edited:
I have both too. Wish I could be more enthusiastic about it. I was in the 12th row in front of Nils Lofgren at the show where 75% of this was recorded/filmed. It was an amazing evening.
Interesting! Well, we're all coming at these releases from different perspectives. Different expectations, tastes, systems, senses of hearing, etc.

Maybe to some extent you're comparing the memory of being there to Clearmountain's mix?

And me with Hemispheres. I've heard the original mix on vinyl, CD, hifi, headphones, etc. I'm probably more biased toward the original balance of things than some others.

And me with Layla. I think the SACD is pretty good (and that the Elliot Scheiner DVD is better). But maybe those more in touch with the original album find it harder to enjoy the SACD.

A hard pass for one is sometimes enjoyable to another.

The 2 Motorhead DVD-A I have are virtually stereo with very little surround sound

Speaking of Lemmy, the Hawkwind Space Ritual DVD is a disappointing upmix. Which blows because it is one of my favorite live albums. Space rock should be ideal for surround but I guess they didn't have the masters.

I am glad to have the set with extra tracks on the cds and a high res stereo on the DVD, but was really let down by the 5.1.

Yep I fully endorse some of the earlier mentions... ☹

I’d also add...

[...]

Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune SACD
Such a shame as this is a great album. But the mix is total pants! [In the UK ‘pants’ mean underpants, which has more of a negative connotation than trousers 😎] I actually think there might have been a technical hiccup on this? 🤔

I actually like (but don't love) this one - yeah, it's not like the BOC quad mixes, but it's a massive improvement on the fidelity of the stereo mix, not to mention the boxy-sounding quad mixes of the previous two albums. There are even some good surround-y bits including the guitar break in Don't Fear the Reaper circling the room. Would I like it to have more discrete stuff in the rears? Sure, but this is still at least a 7 for me.

Back