Switched-On Bach I Q8 discrete or matrix?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafquark

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Wendy Carlos wrote at her website that:

"Switched-On Bach I was mastered in two track stereo, but a couple of years later got the early quad treatment, too. We made careful new mixes at CBS's bequest. But that mastering was released in their phony-quad system: SQ, if only for a couple of years in the early '70's."

Does anyone happen to know which mix was used for the Q8 tape?

Thanks!

Like most Columbia titles, the Q8 is very discrete, as I recall.

It is.

Both vinyl and quad tape used the same mix. What must have bugged Carlos is that the inferior format of the two--Q8--automatically played a discrete quad mix, while the SQ Lp did not, thus mushing up the mix that was painstakingly assembled for CBS. CD-4 would have been the smart move for vinyl on everyone's part, but the fixation with compatability, among other considerations, meant we wound up with three primary formats instead, and only audiophiles made adjustments for all three, with the rest of the public confused and, eventually, disinterested, killing them all.

ED :)

Excellent title on Q8, plays very well. Probably one of the best title to shows up that SQ was really... Sucky Quad. The difference between SQ and Q8 is stunning.

I haven't heard the SQ LP, but I've heard a DVD-A transfer of the Q8 that sounds very fine. It sounded discrete to me, but I'm far from an expert on the subject of quad.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I really appreciate all the feedback. This forum is a veritable fount of quad knowledge :)

Back