Symphonic Classical & Jazz

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwight

QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
All music was processed through the type A Variomatrix!

There aren’t too many discussions of classical surround here at QQ, so I thought I’d mention a few symphonic jazz stereo recordings that I believe can compete with the best MC channel recordings that are ambiance and 3D space oriented.

The first is a Deutsche Grammophon cd 410 025-2, (Rhapsody In Blue. West Side Story: Symphonic Dances conducted by Leonard Bernstein.) RHAPSODY IN BLUE is the first cut and all I can say is “turn this baby way up! “ It’s a conductor’s perspective recording, with the image stretching wall to wall. Few discs capture all the colors of the orchestra the way this one does…brass has brilliance and great bite yet strings and woodwinds are rendered with a velvet touch. I only wish all recordings could manage that double duty. The Variomatrix lifts the air around these instruments and they seem to take on a palpable solidity, and as the recording reaches an absolutely rousing climax, there isn’t a hint of compression or distortion. There is a definite “Wow” factor about this Rhapsody.
Bernstein’s WEST SIDE STORY is a more distant recording, but it maintains the sonic clarity of the former piece. There’s a lot of air moving here and large percussive drums that Telarc would be proud of. Combine this with full, lush and sweet strings and the sense of an immense hall and you wonder why all classical MC recordings aren’t on a par with this spacious beauty.
There’s also a solo piano recording, PRELUDE FOR PIANO NO 2, with Bernstein at the keys.

The second cd is (Benny Goodman Collector’s Edition MK 42227 CBS Masterworks.) This is a series of recordings prior to 1968. Bernstein, Copland, Stravinsky, Morton Gould and Bela Bartók are the composers and Benny Goodman the artist who is common to each work. These 60’s recordings absolutely shine. Instruments seem to float in the air with great depth precision and clarity. The MC effect creates a large deep sound stage that’s a pleasure to listen to. The fact that most of these recordings are mid to early 60’s will have you shaking your head. One recording, the Bartók, is mono. These pieces are classical in form and disappoint some who want a more implicit jazz stamp, but if you’re not familiar with Goodman’s classical playing, you’re in for a treat.
Dwight

Back