• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Synthesized Coltrane Quad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I don,t know with what Decoder you were using
But I have played them with QDS1 and Surround Master
Plus the same speakers front and back
And found them full surround but a soft surround
Not to many solo,s in the rear
If you played them in a basic QS decoder the surround may be less.
QDS1 ? Well no but I did utilize something similar . Sansui QSD2 .

And no I'm sorry , but I never found 'em too glory surround showcase for QS. . Nothing at all like the "Dan's" nor Joe Walsh 's TSYD , TPYG.

Perhaps ABC/IMPULSE/DUNHILL quad discs were somehow Encoded with a Bad Encoder (sometimes) . Could xplain the inconsistency with some of their QS matrix product.
Project 3 and Ovation never seemed to encounter bad encodes from my observations.

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
After 'dual inventory' was phased out (by late 1968, for the most part), it pretty much made it tough for most labels to issue mono-only titles and leave it at that; instead, we got rechanneled albums, no mono counterparts, the latter obviously preferable to tape doctoring, but the anti-mono fix was in for Lp's (not 45's, however). Hard to say what the Impulse gang might have done to the Trane album back in, say, 1967, other than to issue a flat mono transfer AND a fake stereo edition. By the '70s it was uncommon for any label to issue a mono-only album and state that it was (some of Columbia's vintage reissues being an exception) and, as noted, since Impulse was stereo/quad compatible fixated at the time, I suppose someone felt the need to do something QS to it. But they--and we listeners--would have been better served to simply issue it in mono and state as much on the cover. Today, with the technology available, maybe some kind of contrived stereo could have worked--for stereo, still probably not much to be had for four speakers.

ED :)

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Thanks for your invaluable and concise update. I managed to find a 1 RBCD disc of Coltrane's Live in Seattle on Amazon [remastered on a single CD in 2012] and should be receiving it soon. It was originally recorded in 1965 so I imagine the QS encode was probably likewise synthesized from two channel stereo. I believe this was also the first time that saxophonist Pharaoh Sanders joined Coltrane's group for this live outing and have always been a fan of Sander's music, as well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VR95QW/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
Post #51 top of page 3

This is Larry's additional info regarding Ed Michel's QS encoded--ADDITIONS . Great sleuthing by Larry fr 2003 !!!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?1799-QS-albums/page3