The All Jethro Tull Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For future reference on this thread:
Jethro Tull – The Broadsword and the Beast: The Monster Edition
[IMG]

Performing Jack-in-the-Green, Wiesbaden, 4th September 1982
Photo credit: Carsten Bergmann
It was a period in which Martin Barre’s playing went through incremental increases in terms of musical proficiency, his expression and the degree to which he was articulate as a musician. His best work is the period that evolved through the eighties into the nineties. I don’t think you can get any better examples of Martin’s playing live than on some of the concert recordings that were done in that era. Listening to them is a great reminder of how good Martin was on stage every night. Ian Anderson
Also of note is Scottish keyboard whiz Peter-John Vettese whose impressive ear and musical savvy brought a new angle to Tull’s music of this period (and would become even more dominant on Walk Into Light and the follow-up Tull album Under Wraps). Vettese, though not as outwardly interesting as his inimitable predecessors had been, was nonetheless something of a character both on and off stage, and his period synths lent Tull’s music a different energy, with sometimes darker tones that blended well with Anderson’s compositions. An immensely important member during this time, Vettese – the man and the musician – is well spoken of by all parties involved; bandmates, crew, and producer Paul Samwell-Smith.
[IMG]

Performing Watching Me, Watching You, Wiesbaden, 4th September 1982
Photo credit: Carsten Bergmann

Barely readable article, better go to the original source and let the machine translator handle it:
https://amp.elmundo.es/loc/que-fue-de/2023/07/27/64c0eddee9cf4ab2748b4587.html
At the end of the article:

“ On 6 August, Jethro Tull will play at Real Sitio de San Ildefonso “

Also called "La Granja", it's a small village just 10 Km from my town Segovia. I was there, with my two children (30 and 33) and my wife. One of the prog bands that still can be listened by my sons and my wife. The show was good, with some ‘classical’ tracks. Even my daughter, that does not listen this kind of music at all, did know “Bouree” and was waiting for it.

The keyboardist John O’hara was not present, because he had got COVID, and his parts were recorded played back. Not very relevant except that there were less gadgets on stage. Really, Jethro Tull, for me, is not Jethro Tull without Martin Barre. It is just Ian Anderson’s band.

In the Broadsword reissue thread, I posted the cover from the latest Prog magazine which is taken from the album. The issue itself has three good stories worth reading.

The first is just the making of Broadsword. The second is an interview with the guy who designed the album cover. It includes a look at an idea for the cover that ultimately wasn’t chosen, but still interesting.

The third story is about JT in the 80s. It included the section below. In one sense, this isn’t really news. It’s been talked about in the past. But I was encouraged that it’s still being talked about, at least by Ian. With magazine lead-times, I don’t know how old this article is... maybe two or three months?

Anyway, for what it’s worth...

With A and The Broadsword And The Beast having undergone deluxe reissue treatment, we're bound to wonder if their successors might also be reissued in the coming years, starting with the ever-divisive Under Wraps, whose 40th birthday will be celebrated next year. The answer Anderson gives is an intriguing one.

"We were hoping to do a re-recording of all the drum parts, this time with a real drummer, which I think would be a huge benefit. I have someone in mind to do it, and someone else has provisionally agreed to do a new stereo and surround sound mix, so we'd be ready to roll if we were given the go-ahead. But I haven't heard back from the record company - it's up to them to decide if it would make financial sense. So we shall see.."

In the Broadsword reissue thread, I posted the cover from the latest Prog magazine which is taken from the album. The issue itself has three good stories worth reading.

The first is just the making of Broadsword. The second is an interview with the guy who designed the album cover. It includes a look at an idea for the cover that ultimately wasn’t chosen, but still interesting.

The third story is about JT in the 80s. It included the section below. In one sense, this isn’t really news. It’s been talked about in the past. But I was encouraged that it’s still being talked about, at least by Ian. With magazine lead-times, I don’t know how old this article is... maybe two or three months?

Anyway, for what it’s worth...
:cool::cool::cool: Jethro Tull The Broadsword and the Beast SW remix and sessions coming in 2023

Whenever I get one of these deluxe sets it always inspires me to play more of the JT discography. This time I sampled the 6 studio albums following TBATB. My own opinion of course, but of these I think only Crest Of A Knave really deserves the deluxe treatment. Where this album shines is in the writing and production, reflecting necessary stylistic changes to protect IA's fragile voice after throat surgery and a long hiatus. Despite complaints that it sounded too much like Dire Straits, IA himself considers COAK to be one of JT's best albums and reflects some of his best work as a producer - that's a big reason I think it will eventually get a deluxe reissue. And don't forget that Grammy! ;) .

While a remix of Under Wraps with real drums would undoubtedly be interesting and certainly more listenable than it currently is, I'm not convinced that the songs on that album can be fully transformed simply by adding a new drum track. King Crimson tried that with The ReConstruKction Of Light to mixed results. Of the remaining studio albums, Roots To Branches exhibits some interesting world music influences, but the rest are pretty forgettable. Having said that, I'd probably buy any of them that they decide to reissue.

https://www.yardbarker.com/entertai...bands_of_all_time_091923/s1__37672155#slide_1
https://www.loudersound.com/news/metallica-kirk-hammett-on-discovering-prog-rockBy his own admission, Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett was slow to pick up on Jethro Tull's charms, insisting to Goldmine last year, "But that’s really not the reason why I wasn’t into Jethro Tull, believe me. I just never got around to it." Once he discovered Tull, however, the guitarist immersed himself deep into prog, falling in love not just with classic artists such as Yes and King Crimson, but also the likes of The Mars Volta.

22. Teacher – Jethro Tull​

https://www.musicgrotto.com/songs-about-teachers/Jethro Tull makes the list with Teacher, which is all about the bond between a student and a teacher and how that should be celebrated. It talks about how influential teachers are and how they can be mentors and help students. Teachers can change the lives of those they teach, and Tull gets into the details of it in this uplifting and inspiring song.

Back