The BBB - The Pugilist, Auro3D BluRay (Just Released)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sal1950

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just got my new Widescreen Review today and in it was the announcement that Bernie Dresel had released a new album, The Pugilist on Nov 17th. Now available directly from the band at,
https://www.berniedresel.com/I have the first 2 (Bern Bern Bern & Live N Bernin) and found them to have both excellent SQ and immersive Auro 3D mixes. This one is a little different being a child of Covid,

"The production of The Pugilist took place against a backdrop of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic spanning several months during 2021. Unlike the two previous albums, which were recorded live and at Capitol Studios, respectively, The Pugilist was recorded without the band ever playing together at the same time."
https://www.berniedresel.com/bbb-albums-all
Great Big Band style jazz that will test your systems ability to reproduce horn dynamics and Bernie's drum playing.
Highly Recommended.
Sal

PS, Just ordered my signed copy, no extra charge. ;)

Last edited:
Just got my new Widescreen Review today and in it was the announcement that Bernie Dresel had released a new album, The Pugilist on Nov 17th. Now available directly from the band at,
https://www.berniedresel.com/I have the first 2 (Bern Bern Bern & Live N Bernin) and found them to have both excellent SQ and immersive Auro 3D mixes. This one is a little different being a child of Covid,

"The production of The Pugilist took place against a backdrop of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic spanning several months during 2021. Unlike the two previous albums, which were recorded live and at Capitol Studios, respectively, The Pugilist was recorded without the band ever playing together at the same time."
https://www.berniedresel.com/bbb-albums-all
Great Big Band style jazz that will test your systems ability to reproduce horn dynamics and Bernie's drum playing.
Highly Recommended.
Sal

PS, Just ordered my signed copy, no extra charge. ;)
Easy purchase, a must have IMO- thanks Sal!

BTW, though OT I'd like to mention that Widescreen Review also announced that after Dec 2021 they will no longer be doing a printed version, changing to web only distrobution instead. IMO that's a shame. They covered the surround film and music seen with a printed product that was SOTA in it's quality..
Now I'll have one less piece of material to read in my library each morning while doing my business. ;)
But subscriptions are going down to $15 a year.

Ordered. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. 🥃 🥃:cool:
My pleasure!
Like Bernie's 2 other BluRay releases before this, the stereo and 5.1 mixes are truly outstanding. But if you have the ability to play back the Auro 3D tracks, the mixing was done at the home of Auro, Galaxy Studios in Mol, Belgium. Auro doesn't get much better than this one. ;)
Oh yea, Bernie does know how to play the drums.

Ordered as well. I'll now have all three of his wonderful audiophile BD~As

The Pugilist (Pure Audio Blu-Ray)

THE PUGILIST (PURE AUDIO BLU-RAY)

BERN BERN BERN (Pure Audio) Blu-Ray

BERN BERN BERN (PURE AUDIO) BLU-RAY

Live N' Bernin' (Pure Audio) Blu-Ray

Just received my personalized signed copy of this. Great sounding disc, love the music (been on a big band kick of late) and this one you can just CRANK. Really great 5.1 mix. Unfortunately, I am unable to play Auro-3D so cannot comment on that. I wish there were an Atmos mix.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, Bernie is the drummer for Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band as well as the Brian Setzer Orchestra. His band is top-notch. They do interesting takes on some well-known tunes (Zappa's Zomby Woof, for example, as mentioned by @Marplot). I will now seek out his other 2 discs.

The other two are worth it. And believe it or not, stereo only, DD Verni & The Cadillac Band is great fun. You may want to sample it first to see if it is to your taste. (DD's day job is bassist for Overkill)

Back