SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
81CIis1VyEL._AC_SL1422_.jpg

Another lovely RCA QUAD SACD from Dutton Epoch but my favorite version of Falla's Nights in the Garden of Spain remains the inimitable Alicia de Larrocha's version on Decca.

81CIis1VyEL._AC_SL1422_.jpg

Another lovely RCA QUAD SACD from Dutton Epoch but my favorite version of Falla's Nights in the Garden of Spain remains the inimitable Alicia de Larrocha's version on Decca.
Incidentally, if someone is looking to fill out a D-V order to an even six, you can do a lot worse than Michael Dutton's remastering of Rachmaninoff conducting his own works on RBCD: duttonvocalion.co.uk store: Sergei Rachmaninov conducts Rachmaninov Symphony no.3 & The Isle of the Dead | Historic Classics | CDVS1921 |. His remasterings of Rach playing are also good, but seem to be out of stock.

These are, IMO, lovely performances, Brett with D~V's usual precision remastering and though it lacks that aggressive 70's Discrete QUADNESS, it fits the music perfectly.

A little trivia: Artur Rubinstein's son, John, was the broadway actor who originated the role of PIPPIN, directed by Bob Fosse, on the Great White Way:

See the source image

John Rubinstein with the Great Ben Vereen in the Original Broadway Production of PIPPIN. PIPPIN {or PEPIN} was the son of Charlemagne.

See the source image
And don’t forget that John composed the soundtrack for Jeremiah Johnson with Tim McIntire. According to director Sydney Pollack, they were "kids that just auditioned with a tape.” LOL!! ;)

Figured I better post this here...

Listening to the Alexander Nevsky from Dutton Vocalion. Wow, it's just powerful and jaw dropping. If there are other classical titles from Dutton, that are discreet quad and have that much intensity. I'd buy them.

To my mind, the Michael Tilson Thomas Carmina Burana fits that description, as does the Eugene Ormandy Shostakovich package.

I'm looking for a multi channel recording of "Siegfried's Funeral March" from Wagner's "Gotterdammerung." Any suggestions?
Another thing to keep in mind is that not all titles are in English; I remember searching for Rossini's - "The Thieving Magpie", and found I also needed to search for "La Gazza Ladra". Don't know if that would apply to the Wagner music?

Just a quick search on SA-CD.net I came up with this one; but can't attest to the performance.
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4820
First up, that link is for the entire opera and, although I have not played it in a long time, I do not recall being impressed greatly by Fisch's conducting. More than competent (and surprisingly so) but not impressive.
For recordings of the March along with several other Wagner excerpts, I can recommend this:
500x500

and this:
71tSfY43-RL._SS500_.jpg

At the age of 12 I started piano lessons, advancing to a classical piano professor who tsk'ed tsk'ed I started too late, only to have me wind up a wild rock n' roll Jefferson Airplane sort of fan who taught himself electric guitar. Such is life. At any rate, dear GOS, there is WORTH in classical music that cannot be denied!

As for Auryn Quartet on TACET, I'll have to understandably admit bias toward anything with keyboards, so I guess it is not surprising -- after having collected all the TACET surrounds, OCD for the win -- that my absolute favorite, with an incredible surround effect of the piano in the rear and strings up front, is this Schumann:

https://www.tacet.de/main/seite1.php?language=en&filename=production.php&bestnr=01443
I include the URL as it has a nice graphic of how the instruments are placed around the listener. For my surround fix in keyboards, I have to go for concertos and the like, as solo keyboards in surround come off as rather unimpressive (prove me wrong with some recs, oh quaddies!). I have Debussy and Chopin solo piano recordings in surround, but . . . the piano alone doesn't seem to lend itself to much discreetness on those.

Enjoying some Schumann in surround! :love:

E2D651BE-5557-4D72-B860-CE7D21571387.jpeg

I bought this cheap 4CD collection for my wife some years ago and as we'd had a classical outing last night, I thought I'd have some of this playing through the house this morning. When I was checking which CD to put on next I noticed the Stereosurround insignia and wondered what this may mean? There seems to be no further information on the disc. Anyone familiar with this? Seems that it is a Dolby compatible matrix?
IMG_9428.jpg

I'm looking for a multi channel recording of "Siegfried's Funeral March" from Wagner's "Gotterdammerung." Any suggestions?
Try Maazel/Berlin The Ring Without Words on Euroarts blu ray (DTS HD Master Audio Surround 5.1). I found shopping for it confusing but it seems available at Amazon and hbdirect for about $10.

Back