SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 46932

Now moving onto this nice performance of Brahms’s piano quartets. And yet... I have to say Tacet has spoiled me with their Real Surround recording. This Brahms set from the Eudora label sounds like half a recording with its ambient mix. To be sure, the fidelity is good and all that. However, listening to it just after TACET’s Mozart piano quartet recording, I’m left wanting more. Why do they scrunch all the instruments together on one side of the room!!!??? The thickheadedness of people is Incredible!!! 😵 😣 :p
I know I should seek out more options, but frankly with the definitive performance of these pieces already on quad SACD, I haven't really sought out others.
51gPALYKnvL.jpg

I know I should seek out more options, but frankly with the definitive performance of these pieces already on quad SACD, I haven't really sought out others.
51gPALYKnvL.jpg
Wow, I have the Brahms Sonata #1 in G of this series -- didn't know about this one. Isn't there a Schubert Trout version, too? Think I have it somewhere. . . .

Last edited:
Witnessed the Louisiana Symphony Orchestra performing Ludwig's 6th symphony last Friday and was extremely moving. I was sitting in the front row center; nobody sits in front, and it was a revelation.
No, you could not hear the 2nd violins nor the wind instruments perfectly but nobody does except for the conductor. I was doubting whether Ludwig loved or hated the cellists (viola de gamba in his time) cause , MAN, WHAT A WORKOUT THIS WAS FOR THEM!!!! I also heard a lot of cello parts that you do not perceive normally, especially pizzicatos...

Anyway.. wanted to ask you guys which of these is the most discrete. I see that the last 2 are from the 70s. Any help will be appreciated.

R-13863404-1562826261-1088.jpeg.jpg

R-13049235-1578148217-5402.jpeg.jpg

or
R-13732401-1559966822-6875.jpeg.jpg

I was doubting whether Ludwig loved or hated the cellists (viola de gamba in his time) cause , MAN, WHAT A WORKOUT THIS WAS FOR THEM!!!!
I think not. The 6th was premiered in 1808 and, from Wikipedia,:
"Contrary to a popular misconception, the cello did not evolve from the viola da gamba, but existed alongside it for about two and a half centuries."
"Around 1700, Italian players popularized the cello in northern Europe"

Anyway.. wanted to ask you guys which of these is the most discrete. I see that the last 2 are from the 70s. Any help will be appreciated.
I don’t have any of these but I can read between the lines of reviews. The Masur is called “cavernous,” the Kubelik is said to offer little beyond a stereo mastering and the Herreweghe is praised for “instrumental definition.”

I’d guess these are concert hall presentations.

Witnessed the Louisiana Symphony Orchestra performing Ludwig's 6th symphony last Friday and was extremely moving. I was sitting in the front row center; nobody sits in front, and it was a revelation.
No, you could not hear the 2nd violins nor the wind instruments perfectly but nobody does except for the conductor. I was doubting whether Ludwig loved or hated the cellists (viola de gamba in his time) cause , MAN, WHAT A WORKOUT THIS WAS FOR THEM!!!! I also heard a lot of cello parts that you do not perceive normally, especially pizzicatos...

R-13863404-1562826261-1088.jpeg.jpg

R-13049235-1578148217-5402.jpeg.jpg

or
R-13732401-1559966822-6875.jpeg.jpg
If you want discrete in Beethoven Symphonies, get this. I like the Masur and Kubelik recordings, but they're not active mixes the same way.
81kBfwUToWL._SL500_.jpg

Lost Voices of Hagia Sophia: Medieval Byzantine Chant
The Bluray/CD combo arrived yesterday.
The music, synthesized acoustics of Hagia Sophia (in 5.1 augmented to 7.1 through a Lexicon MC-12), and included notes are all stellar, to my mind and ears.
This is the first recording (or film) that has _ever_ made me wonder what an Atmos equipped system might add to the experience.
There are various formats in surround (besides stereo) so there is a lot to explore.
The drones plus melody lines (in sometimes antiphonal high voiced and low voiced choirs) combine with the 10-12 second decay time to produce transient polyphonic effects. I would have bet they were singing multiple parts at times**.
And the music itself will surprise you if you only know Western (Latin) liturgical chant.
I _really_ would love to hear what you all think. Especially if you are equipped for Atmos height channels.

** [Edit to add:] Greek and other Eastern chant uses isons (drone notes sung by (part of) the choir). They add a second note whenever they are used. I'm not talking about those here, though they are part of what sets up the polyphonic effect. That seems to happen sometimes by induced harmonics, sometimes when the ison pitch changes, and sometimes when the melodic part moves around - any of those can produce a transient third or fourth note as they are perceived along with the decaying previous one(s). You can hear that the decay has resonance peaks which I think help make this all happen. It is fascinating. The singers heard the real-time synthesized sound when recording, so they had some conscious control and tuned pitch and tempi to the room harmonics. (Hopefully I summarized that reasonably accurately from the booklet texts!)

Last edited:
The music, synthesized acoustics of Hagia Sophia (in 5.1 augmented to 7.1 through a Lexicon MC-12), and included notes are all stellar, to my mind and ears.
This is the first recording (or film) that has _ever_ made me wonder what an Atmos equipped system might add to the experience.
There are various formats in surround (besides stereo) so there is a lot to explore.
The drones plus melody lines (in sometimes antiphonal high voiced and low voiced choirs) combine with the 10-12 second decay time to produce transient polyphonic effects. I would have bet they were signing multiple parts at times.
And the music itself will surprise you if you only know Western (Latin) liturgical chant.
I _really_ would love to hear what you all think. Especially if you are equipped for Atmos height channels.

Thanks for the review!
Looks like it’s a hit!! Good news, indeed! :love:

https://cappellaromana.org/lost-voices-of-hagia-sophia-tops-the-billboard-charts/

The drones plus melody lines (in sometimes antiphonal high voiced and low voiced choirs) combine with the 10-12 second decay time to produce transient polyphonic effects. I would have bet they were signing multiple parts at times.
Yes, this one’s coming home with me; gives a new meaning to “Skywalker Sound”- I don’t have Atmos yet, but I bet it sounds glorious ;-0

Back