SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The DG beethoven 5/7 appears to be the same as what was done with Jeff Beck 'Blow By Blow', Nektar 'Remember the Future', and other pop 4.0 repurposed to 5.0/5.1 -- a low-level C and LFE channel were created from the 4.0 mix by duplicating content from the other channels.

What Sony did with, e.g., the first Boulez Bartok SACD, is different, AFAIR.
Agreed. A fake center that's just the front channels summed at a lower level isn't that big of a deal, and it can be removed easily by the quad nerds (or just not played). A remix that undoes that quad mix is a different story.

Nope, still never heard of them. But I'm sure they're jolly clever. I wonder if they ever attend actual music performances?
I know that Floyd and Ethan do and I would be surprised if JJ doesn't. I don't know Poppy, so I cannot say.

If you missed the latest entry in Osmo Vanska's Mahler cycle with the Minnesota Orchestra the first time around, it's on sale for half off today (December 23d) at eClassical:
https://www.eclassical.com/orchestras/minnesota-orchestra/mahler-symphony-no7.html

And speaking of Vänskä: I just noticed that his Mahler 10th is on pre-order at Presto Classical.
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8863810--mahler-symphony-no-10
Online press release from the Minnesota Orchestra identifies it as the Deryck Cooke version, although it doesn't say which (presumably III). Nothing on the BIS website yet.

And speaking of Vänskä: I just noticed that his Mahler 10th is on pre-order at Presto Classical.
Online press release from the Minnesota Orchestra identifies it as the Deryck Cooke version, although it doesn't say which (presumably III). Nothing on the BIS website yet.
I really like this one:
71G9DosslrL.jpg

Excellent performance in excellent MCH.

Apparently LAWO recorded Vasily Petrenko conducting Scheherazade and other Rimsky-Korsakov favorites in DXD, and only mixed in stereo. This seems like an obvious SACD/MCH release, but I guess they weren't interested. It's on NativeDSD but only in stereo, and at an inflated price.

Apparently LAWO recorded Vasily Petrenko conducting Scheherazade and other Rimsky-Korsakov favorites in DXD, and only mixed in stereo. This seems like an obvious SACD/MCH release, but I guess they weren't interested. It's on NativeDSD but only in stereo, and at an inflated price.
I don't know about them. I have 6 LAWO recordings in multichannel DSD64 or DXD, obtained as downloads, which makes me suspect that they do record in multichannel but do not release them on disc.

I don't know about them. I have 6 LAWO recordings in multichannel DSD64 or DXD, obtained as downloads, which makes me suspect that they do record in multichannel but do not release them on disc.
On NativeDSD it's only in stereo; I have to imagine they'd make a MCH mix available if they had it (pretty sure they do for other recordings).

Nope, still never heard of them. But I'm sure they're jolly clever. I wonder if they ever attend actual music performances?
I know that Floyd and Ethan do and I would be surprised if JJ doesn't. I don't know Poppy, so I cannot say.

Oh for heaven's sake. Of course all of them have attended actual music performances. And despite the hilariously misplaced condescension of peanut gallery randos (and I don't mean Kal), JJ and Dr. Toole have probably forgotten more about audio and hearing than most here will ever know in the first place.

I really like this one:
71G9DosslrL.jpg

This performance is up there with Sanderling, Chailly and Gielen as a reference version. It is also the only one of that group in surround and imho easily the best multi-channel version overall. Incidentally, as some of you already know, this same label did a terrific 5.1 version of all the Dutilleux orchestral music conducted by Ludovic Morlot.

I really like this one:
71G9DosslrL.jpg

I am looking to get the recording on disk , but the listings I see (on Amazon and Discogs) both say Stereo, not MCH.
On which download site is it available? Or is the disk simply mischaracterized? (Apologies on my lack of knowledge of the MCH download sites).

I am looking to get the recording on disk , but the listings I see (on Amazon and Discogs) both say Stereo, not MCH.
On which download site is it available? Or is the disk simply mischaracterized? (Apologies on my lack of knowledge of the MCH download sites).

I'm pretty sure that Seattle Symphony Media, like so many others, have given up on SACD. On their website, they erroneously imply that 5.1 downloads are available from Acoustic Sounds and, depending upon the page you're looking at, HDTracks and Primephonic. As far as I know, however, Acoustic Sounds actually has a monopoly on the 5.1 versions. (HDTracks, Qobuz, Presto and others do have hi-res stereo, however.)

https://store.acousticsounds.com/in...y=preownedbinmodified2_dt desc&CategoryID=403

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Seattle Symphony Media, like so many others, have given up on SACD.
They haven't given up because they never supported SACD.
On their website, they erroneously say that 5.1 downloads are available from HDTracks and Acoustic Sounds. As far as I know, however, Acoustic Sounds actually has a monopoly on the 5.1 versions.
Yes but you must act before 12/31 because Acoustic Sounds has announced they are ending their download operations.
Acoustic-Sounds.png

Back