SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's more decidely Russian, halbroome like Stravinsky's controversial Rite of Spring which caused riots upon its premiere at the newly opened Théâtre des Champs-Elysées in Paris in 1913.

See the source image

Based on music by Pergolesi, i.e., Italian, not Russian folk tunes as for Le Sacre

Last edited:
Thanks for those links, @ubertrout . So do we know how many of those fifty-odd BDAs include (even nominally) multi-channel content? There's Tannhauser, the Bernstein and Karajan Beethoven cycles, Kleiber's "complete" symphonic recordings, Carmen, The Planets & Zarathustra...anything I'm missing?
Doesn't sound like it.

And despite Kal Rubinson's boredom with the LSO Live Nielsen Symphonies, I came across this little blurb @ Presto Classical:
I do not disagree with the blurb as it references the achievement of the set which I acknowledge. However, if you consider the individual symphonies, most are better realized, imho, by other individual performances. Not surprising, I think.

43D9976F-8252-47AD-9620-69186CE34B9C.jpeg

FINGERGULL - In festo susceptionis sanguinis Domini

This is a beautiful recording of medieval chant for female voices. The title Fingergull means “Mass of the finger-gold” which celebrated the ecclesiastical feast “Susceptio sanguinis” (the acceptance of the blood of Christ). This dates back to 1165 when a holy relic containing a drop of Christ’s blood arrived in Nidaros in Norway.
The music is very peaceful and relaxing. The surround mix is wonderfully immersive.

View attachment 46689

FINGERGULL - In festo susceptionis sanguinis Domini

This is a beautiful recording of medieval chant for female voices. The title Fingergull means “Mass of the finger-gold” which celebrated the ecclesiastical feast “Susceptio sanguinis” (the acceptance of the blood of Christ). This dates back to 1165 when a holy relic containing a drop of Christ’s blood arrived in Nidaros in Norway.
The music is very peaceful and relaxing. The surround mix is wonderfully immersive.

I concur, another gorgeous 2L recording which reminds me .... have to spin it again! BTW, AmazonUS has a couple of copies used, VG, from $4.79 + s/h:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...d_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=
81AS-O%2BSsmL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Now available for pre-order/due out April 24th: Atonement -- music of Páll Ragnar Pálsson, performed by Caput Ensemble (who have also recorded for BIS and Naxos). 5.1 DTS-MA, plus 9.1 Auro 3D and Atmos mixes, all on Blu-Ray. With the sitewide sale (discount code SONOSALE20), it comes out to $16 and change, delivered.

I feel like Sono Luminus is one of those labels whose new surround releases we fans of contemporary music should buy sight unseen (er, sound unheard?), on the principle that even if you don't care for the music, you know it's going to be immaculately recorded, and the label and its artists deserve to be supported. The head of Sono Luminus is good friends with 2L's Morten Lindberg, and the two share much the same philosophy with regard to acoustics, recording technique, and "the Nordic sound" (and choral music). Their Atmos recordings are truly spectacular--worth upgrading your system for!

https://www.sonoluminus.com/store/atonement

Last edited:
Ughhhhhhh

I need help. Don't laugh...this shows my total ignorance on the subject. When I rip a rock SACD, it's so easy to categorize. Let's say I have The Beatles, Abbey Road. Super easy.

I have a folder called The Beatles. Within that folder, I have another folder named, The Beatles - Abbey Road.

Now, lets move on to the classical scene. OMG! Could it be any more complicated? How do I name this damn stuff?

I'm ripping my Vocalion SACD, Eugene Ormandy Conducts Alexander Nevsky. That's what it says on the spine. But on the back....well, you get the idea.

Ughhhhhhh

I need help. Don't laugh...this shows my total ignorance on the subject. When I rip a rock SACD, it's so easy to categorize. Let's say I have The Beatles, Abbey Road. Super easy.

I have a folder called The Beatles. Within that folder, I have another folder named, The Beatles - Abbey Road.

Now, lets move on to the classical scene. OMG! Could it be any more complicated? How do I name this damn stuff?

I'm ripping my Vocalion SACD, Eugene Ormandy Conducts Alexander Nevsky. That's what it says on the spine. But on the back....well, you get the idea.
You can drive yourself crazy with classical tagging. My view is functional - the tags are to help you find and identify what's playing. So typically composer is composer, artists is the "main" artists comma separated, and album is the album title. For a multi-movement piece, I include that in the track information.

Reactions: GOS
Ughhhhhhh

Lots of opinions on this, Gene; no right answer. If it's a disc of works by one composer, I tend to use the composer's last name. If not, then usually the principal performer(s). (But if it's an orchestra--as opposed to a vocal group or a soloist or a small chamber ensemble, then is the "principal" performer the orchestra, or the conductor, or...?) Obviously it's a problem for metadata, too: you need to fill in--and sometimes create--a lot more categories.

I say: name it in such a way that you're likely to remember where to find it.

Reactions: GOS
Now available for pre-order/due out April 24th: Atonement -- music of Páll Ragnar Pálsson, performed by Caput Ensemble (who have also recorded for BIS and Naxos). 5.1 DTS-MA, plus 9.1 Auro 3D and Atmos mixes, all on Blu-Ray. With the sitewide sale (discount code SONOSALE20), it comes out to $16 and change, delivered.

I feel like Sono Luminus is one of those labels whose new surround releases we fans of contemporary music should buy sight unseen (er, sound unheard?), on the principle that even if you don't care for the music, you know it's going to be immaculately recorded, and the label and its artists deserve to be supported. The head of Sono Luminus is good friends with 2L's Morten Lindberg, and the two share much the same philosophy with regard to acoustics, recording technique, and "the Nordic sound." Their Atmos recordings are truly spectacular--worth upgrading your system for!

https://www.sonoluminus.com/store/atonement

I just placed a sizable order with Sono Luminus DIRECT and couldn't pass up those 20 Dorian RBCDs for $30. They have a bunch of GREAT BD~A/RBCD combos discounted to $7.99, as well. Since I already have a sizable collection of SL BD~As, I can attest to their impeccable musicianship and sonics.
Buy with confidence and you can also sample some of their selections on their website.

Last edited:
Figured I better post this here...

Listening to the Alexander Nevsky from Dutton Vocalion. Wow, it's just powerful and jaw dropping. If there are other classical titles from Dutton, that are discreet quad and have that much intensity. I'd buy them.

IMO, except for the Arthur Rubinstein/Ormandy QUADS, they're ALL discrete and especially brilliant are those Charles Gerhardt Film SCORE QUAD SACDs from D~V ....... they will definitely give your speakers [and chubby 🐱 Lamar] a REAL WORKOUT!

FC25B8A2-1F2B-497E-9A96-F6DAF1A34413.jpeg

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5, Piano Sonata No. 18

Artur Rubinstein (piano)
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Daniel Barenboim (conductor)

Perhaps not Rubinstein’s best “Emperor”, it’s still nice to have and listen to. Quad mix is not very aggressive.

View attachment 46729

Artur Rubinstein (piano)

Perhaps not Rubinstein’s best “Emperor”, it’s still nice to have and listen to. Quad mix is not very aggressive.

These are, IMO, lovely performances, Brett with D~V's usual precision remastering and though it lacks that aggressive 70's Discrete QUADNESS, it fits the music perfectly.

A little trivia: Artur Rubinstein's son, John, was the broadway actor who originated the role of PIPPIN, directed by Bob Fosse, on the Great White Way:

See the source image

John Rubinstein with the Great Ben Vereen in the Original Broadway Production of PIPPIN. PIPPIN {or PEPIN} was the son of Charlemagne.

See the source image

Last edited:
View attachment 46729

Artur Rubinstein (piano)

It's not Rubinstein's best Emperor, but there's something magical about his indian summer of recording - someone whose career began in the 19th century still playing at a high level in the quad era, and even the wrong notes are somehow right. And having a conductor half his age (Barenboim still isn't as old as Rubinstein was at the time) works - Barenboim has a real sense of respect for the old master and accompanies rather than competes.

Back