The Tea Party - Illuminations DVD (DTS with audio-only track)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bright Side

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hey guys,

I'm really surprised nobody here is discussing this DVD. Seems like it's another well-produced and mixed surround title that slipped by the collective QQ attention. I only learned about it because haikubass mentioned it here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...est-Of-(2-Discs)&p=82421&viewfull=1#post82421

I wasn't aware of this Canadian alternative rock band before, but a couple spins on grooveshark convinced me that they're cool. Their style is a blend of hard rock with progressive influences and Indian and Middle-Eastern styles. The singer sounds like the guys from Pearl Jam or 3 Doors Down. No extra-long songs (all between 4 and 6 minutes), but they're still pretty complex and lend themselves great to the surround treatment. Try "Sister Awake", for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDYIlaaw_yI

Anyway, I figured I'd bring this up cos their "Illuminations" DVD (from 2001, you can still get it for about 20 bucks) features about an hour of their best video clips, with the music mixed in DTS by the band leader himself. There's an option to play the audio only, and it delivers: the mix is very active and offers great separation on every song. My only gripe is that on my small-speaker 5.1 system, the bass doesn't come through very well. There's little sub usage, leaving me wishing for more punch.

Still, the sound is dynamic and fresh, and it's not like there's no bass at all. It's quite enjoyable, and I imagine it works much better with large front speakers. I put the crossover at 200 Hz and get enough sub action to enjoy the DVD.

So anyway, now this DVD has its own thread. Would love to read your thoughts if you own it. If not, snatch it up while you can, at about 20 bucks, I think there's no reason not to.

I've been a The Tea Party fan ever since Splendor Solis in about 1993/94. That album, and The Edges of Twilight are their best work. I've seen them live probably 8-10 times, and they never disappoint. I saw them open for Page and Plant in Montreal on their "No Quarter" tour. They were on fire that night, and crowd really responded. The best The Tea Party show I saw, however, was on their "acoustic" Alhambra tour. It was a very small intimate show and Jeff Martin would introduce every song by telling some sort of story. Very cool. Roy Harper was a "guest" musician on that tour, which was pretty special too.

I am still a fan. I saw them in Ottawa just over a year ago when they reunited for a short tour.

My apologies for never mentioning this DVD before. It is probably because I got into hi-res surround after getting this DVD. And, the fact that this is not hi-res release.

I have made quite a few system upgrades since I've last listened to this DVD (which was probably 2 years ago). I'll put it in again soon and update this thread with my thoughts.

How would we start a thread in the "polls" section for this disc?

I love this disc! It's one of those things I'd have probably never heard if it wasn't for the surround sound thing. But I would have thought that I had read about it here and am surprised there isn't a thread about it before this. Now I have no idea from where I got turned onto it. But yeah, really good stuff. I always though musically it reminded me of the Page/Plant thing with the mid-eastern music influences with a singer that sounds like Jim Morrison.
There's also another live music vid by them that's only in Dolby Digital but is pretty good also. Intimate and Interactive is the name, I think.

K

Thanks QQ! Bought the last one for $8.24. Heard of this along time ago thanks for the reminder.

Guys, I'm happy you're into it. Coincidentally, my safety copy has arrived a couple of days ago. Time to change my avatar I guess...

Mine arrived yesterday - that was quick!!!!

I really like it...thanks for the tips on this one "The Bright Side" and "haikbass" (y)... looks like its now harder to find...

The DTS is great and I like the audio only option - I also like how they have subtitles on the music - you don't see that too often.

The vocalist has a bit of a Jim Morrison thing going on...:)

from the blu-ray.com forum:

I bought the blu ray in canada and when i play the blu ray i get
weird channel assigment it seem's the center channel show's up
in the right surround channel and the right main channel does not
sound ok it sound like a surround channel?

I just hope this isn't the case...

Yeah there are numerous reviews on amazon.de pointing out problems with the sound,too. They say it sounds tinny and weak. But then, somebody posted this statement from the band:

Tea Party said:
It has come to our attention that some of the recently released Blu-ray/DVD discs have an audio mix-up. Here's is the official statement from ViaVision in Australia, who is the label responsible for the release...

STATEMENT TO FANS

“It has recently come to our attention that on some copies of The Tea Party Live In Australia release, there is a manufacturing error that creates misassigned channels on the 5.1.

The issue has been addressed but if you feel that your copy has this issue, please email: [email protected] and we will tell you how you can get a replacement disc."

Apparently, somebody already got the corrected disc, too, and he says it sounds good.

It will be really interesting to read your comments, haikubass. Good find! I'm quite curious about whether they went with music immersion again. The band leader was pretty excited about 5.1 back in 2000 when they did the Illuminations DVD.

My copy was shipped today from Amazon.ca. I'll let you know if it has the issue once it arrives and I have a chance to listen to it. It is arriving in the same box as the Rush 2112 Bluray. What do I listen to first :D

I just received my copy today, and listened to it for the first time. I do believe I have a faulty disc. The center channel has almost nothing coming from it. In fact, all I ever hear is the bass guitar once in a while, which leads me to believe that maybe the LFE was in the center. I have a crossover point of about 60hz for my center, so the bass still gets redirected to the sub. So, the overall bass level actually sounds OK.

I think maybe the true center channel is in the Left Front, as most of the vocals and guitar come from the left. The right front sounds like it might be correct, as it includes some vocals and guitar (although significantly quieter than the left). The drums are the most pronounced in this speaker, as one might expect.

The surround channels are fairly quiet, and mostly include ambient sounds. A typical audience mix (unfortunately).

The overall soundstage is weighted to the left, so it sounds odd, but some listeners may not notice. Overall, it sounds pretty decent. It is still listenable, despite the issue. In fact, I think it will be a really excellent sounding bluray once the authoring is fixed! The video and performance are also top-notch!

Let me know if others hear the same issues. I'll be emailing the address above to get a replacement, and I will report back when I get a response.

Back