The Tea Party - Illuminations DVD (DTS with audio-only track)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent an email to [email protected] before Christmas and have not heard back. I sent another email yesterday. I'll let you all know if I hear anything. If I don't, I'll probably be sending it back. It isn't horrible sounding, but it bothers me to have an improperly authored bluray. If there was at least a good sounding stereo track, I would keep it, but the only option is 5.1 DTS-MA (also strange... I wouldn't have thought that was "allowed" according to the spec)

Anyone else have this bluray? How does the audio compare to my above description?

I "found" an MKV of this bluray out there in cyber space. It has a DTS track. I played it over my Oppo, and it confirmed that my Bluray has a bad authoring. On my bluray, the center channel is more or less non-existent, while on this MKV, the center channel has the majority of the vocals, and guitars coming from it. It sounds correct, although not clean as the DTS-MA on the bluray, but that is to be expected.

I would really like to get a properly authored version of this bluray, as it is a fantastic performance. But, I have not gotten a response from the email address listed on The Tea Party website. I will likely return it to Amazon.ca, or ask them to send me a new disk in hopes that it is correctly authored.

OK... this should be my last post in this thread, since nobody else seems interested :)

Amazon.ca sent me a replacement Bluray, and it has the same authoring issue. So, it is going back too, and they will issue me a refund. They said they would stop selling it while they check their stock and indeed they are showing it as "Item Under Review" on amazon.ca.

Too bad... this Bluray would be awesome if properly authored. I will probably try buying it again in the future since amazon is so good about their returns.

There's a copy of this blu-ray in my local store. I'll buy it and see if it has the same problem...

It will be interesting to see if the DTS core is correct and the DTS-HD MA isn't....:(

Yes, please do.

How do you listen to the DTS core rather than DTS-MA?

Hook up your Oppo via the coax digital out to your receiver & it "should" play the DTS core.

Just bought this now...when I have some time I'll put up pictures of the waveforms also...

Hook up your Oppo via the coax digital out to your receiver & it "should" play the DTS core.

Just bought this now...when I have some time I'll put up pictures of the waveforms also...

Thanks, my Oppo is only connected via HDMI and Analog (stereo and 5.1) right now. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to try it before sending the blurays back to Amazon.

Have you listened to it yet? I wouldn't be surprised if your copy is OK. This issue may be unique to the North American release.

I think maybe the true center channel is in the Left Front, as most of the vocals and guitar come from the left. The right front sounds like it might be correct, as it includes some vocals and guitar (although significantly quieter than the left). The drums are the most pronounced in this speaker, as one might expect.

The surround channels are fairly quiet, and mostly include ambient sounds. A typical audience mix (unfortunately).

The overall soundstage is weighted to the left, so it sounds odd, but some listeners may not notice. Overall, it sounds pretty decent. It is still listenable, despite the issue. In fact, I think it will be a really excellent sounding bluray once the authoring is fixed! The video and performance are also top-notch!

Let me know if others hear the same issues. I'll be emailing the address above to get a replacement, and I will report back when I get a response.

Mine is the same.... Vocals mainly in the front left - I swapped Center & Left front and it sounds OK....

FYI - I haven't got a coax hooked up so i can't hear the DTS core either. I wasn't able to rip it either... :(

Mine is the same.... Vocals mainly in the front left - I swapped Center & Left front and it sounds OK....

FYI - I haven't got a coax hooked up so i can't hear the DTS core either. I wasn't able to rip it either... :(

Thanks for the update.

I also tried swapping center and left front. It was better, but I didn't think it was quite right either. The right front was far more active than the original center, which had very little going on.

It's a damn shame this bluray has this issue. Despite the problem, the reviews are all positive on Amazon.ca and Amazon.com.

Good sound. Good mix – clear, discrete, lots going on but not overly showy. Well put together disc – can watch in DD, DTS, audio-only, and with lyrics over videos. It's not my favourite kind of music, so I don't enjoy it that much, but that's my problem. If you like this band, you'll love this disc.

Back