Though both GM & Ford have DVD/A & DTS compatible units...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrd

Since 2002/2003
in their 2011 line-up, which ones actually play discrete 5.1? (Many blend to 2 and then simulate surround.)

This is very confusing. And a shame, because much of the greater fidelity is lost by the downmixing

For example, I auditioned the THX2 in a Lincoln playing Love DVD/A, and now I'm really not so sure it was the true original 5.1 discrete playback. Can anyone confirm?

You mean they are actually decoding the 6 channels from the MLP DVD-A track, then down mixing to 2 channels and then doing an additional decoding/up-mix? Bizzare! I wonder why they would do that? While MLP has down mixing built in, some discs, like Queen's Night At The Opera doesn't have the MLP downmix parameters set correctly - the 2 channel downmix is only the front L/R channels. You have to listen to the PCM track if you want the 'full' recording - and since it's not a proper downmix, it isn't compatible with a decoder like Circle Surround, Neural or PL-II. And many DTS CD's are flagged not to downmix to a Lt/Rt matrix compatible signal at all.

I haven't bought a new car in years, so I have to ask about you saying that you auditioned the "THX2" in a Lincoln - is that just a model number or is it really the THX company, uh, "certifying" car audio systems? If so, I weep for the THX program and what it originally stood for.

I had a 1987 Chrysler New Yorker that had an Infiniti II system that was wonderful - I ended up putting a Fosgate Gavotte in it - the New Yorker's Infiniti system already had a center channel in place, so adding the Fosgate was a minor issue, and it made a MAJOR difference in the car - all cars should have center channels, either discrete or logic-derived - I always wanted to put one of my Fosgate Tate II 101A's in the New Yorker, but I never got up the nerve; I was afraid something bad would happen to it - and the Fosgate Tate can't be replaced as easily as a car can! My 1992 Chrysler New Yorker/Fifth Avenue had a Sony DAT deck in it - I LOVED the DAT format and imported prerecorded DAT's from Japan like crazy. I still use my Sony DTC-700 DAT recorder - unlike many people I haven't had problems with tapes mis-tracking over time or dropouts, etc... When MiniDisc came out I went totally gaga for it. I always thought DTS Digital Surround or Dolby AC-3 would be a good 'fit' for MiniDisc - allowing you to have a very small, well-protected and portable surround-sound format for the car. (BTW, was Philips DCC format ever made as a car unit? I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of one - I have one 'demo' DCC tape that says "for display only, not to final spec". How about an Elcaset for the car??? That's a format I sadly never got to try - I was only 10 when it was introduced.)

Disclord, here's some info GM-wise regarding the Volt's audio system.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?6311-Surround-sound-discs-play-in-the-Volt

And yes, ditto regarding a center speaker. Recently got new Cruze with Pioneer upgraded speaker system...they add a center speaker where the useless "bonus glove box" normally appears. They could be onto something big if they brought true 5.1 lossless surround into the mix. ;) Much less expensive than an Acura, plus it might add some more workers to their Ohio assembly. :)

Here's a link regarding the Pioneer system.
http://wot.motortrend.com/2011-chevrolet-cruze-wins-professional-sound-system-evaluation-9626.html

PS Yves needs to adjust fader three notches towards rear, makes world of difference in bass and imaging.

Disclord, here's some info GM-wise regarding the Volt's audio system.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?6311-Surround-sound-discs-play-in-the-Volt

And yes, ditto regarding a center speaker. Recently got new Cruze with Pioneer upgraded speaker system...they add a center speaker where the useless "bonus glove box" normally appears. They could be onto something big if they brought true 5.1 lossless surround into the mix. ;) Much less expensive than an Acura, plus it might add some more workers to their Ohio assembly. :)

Here's a link regarding the Pioneer system.
http://wot.motortrend.com/2011-chevrolet-cruze-wins-professional-sound-system-evaluation-9626.html

PS Yves needs to adjust fader three notches towards rear, makes world of difference in bass and imaging.

That's cool they play DTS CD's and DVD-A's... the car is a superb environment for multichannel, especially if the Center Front gets its own speaker. When Brad Miller was selling the Millennium 2.4.6 dts decoder the brochure mentioned it for car use since it ran on a 12 volt supply - I have 3 of them so perhaps I should think about putting one in my 98 Windstar minivan?

Did any car come with an SACD player or were any offered as after-market units? And do you know if the Neural surround decoding system comes automatically with Sirius radios in cars now, or does a car owner have to replace their head unit with an after-market one that has Neural built in?

I wonder if any car stereos in the 70's came with SQ or QS decoders, either basic matrix or Full-Gain-Riding Logic SQ (or even DynaQuad), as part of their Quad 8-Track units? Considering how cheap the Sansui Vario-Matrix IC's were (and Sansui would sell them to anyone without a license), a hobbyist could have made a killer Vario-Matrix synthesizer/decoder for their car. Heck, it could be done now since the Vario-Matrix chips are still easily available.

I don't recall any factory or aftermarket car "stereo" that came with an SQ or QS decoder. And back then, I would have known about it and probably bought it! :D
Would have been a nice feature, but I don't even remember a unit with a "MATRIX" button.

I know there were a lot of guys who wired their back speakers with the two positves of the front speakers and got some wild surround effects. But back then, the Q8 was king for surround in the car. That I had!

I remember Radio Shack had their "Quatravox" enhancement in some of their car stereo products (and home receivers) - even a stand-alone Quatravox unit for the car - but I think it was just a Hafler L-R/R-L Dynaquad-type 'matrix' and not meant for any specific encoded format.

Since both Full-Logic SQ and QS Vario-Matrix were offered as VERY low cost IC sets, it's weird no one offered either decoder in a car stereo - the logic-based matrix systems are a natural for the car with FM Stereo broadcasting being the dominant source of music! It's yet another weird thing about the Quadraphonic era - and the DVD-A/SACD era seemed hell-bent to duplicate that kind of strangeness in various ways. At least the quad era had better music releases and better mixes.

Back