Toshiba SA-304 and Toshiba SA-504-mods?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelPublic

Hi all,

I've got an old Toshiba SA-304 receiver and am picking up a SA-504 tomorrow (if all goes well).
Has anyone done any mods on these? I guess the usual, maybe replace the caps and of course clean them.
Suggestions or recommendations?
pics for your amusement of the 304
2 3 4

MichaelPublic said:
Hi all,

I've got an old Toshiba SA-304 receiver and am picking up a SA-504 tomorrow (if all goes well).
Has anyone done any mods on these? I guess the usual, maybe replace the caps and of course clean them.
2 3 4

Several generic ideas. First, get rid of the old power lead, and solder in a shielded variety. I'm NOT advocating 'hifi power chords' here (you know -the huge snakes rubbed on the thighs of virgins etc), but a nice, cheap, shielded mains lead that costs only a few £ / $ at the most with a good-quality plug. Pick one with the largest conductor area possible. Stick a ferrite clamp on it too. A nice, cheap and quite effective mod. Instant upgrade; and makes far better engineering sense than 99.99% of all those over-priced luminous pieces of junk on sale.
Some of the resistors might be past their best too -try replacing a few of these as well as the caps -at the least, you should replace the caps in the power-supply which will be well past their sell-by date.
Plug into a mains filter if you don't have one -very useful. PC mains cleaners will do the job as well as anything if you don't fancy doing some DIY.
Finally, you could re-wire some parts with large-guage conductors. Probably won't make a difference, given the short lengths involved, but some of the solder joints are probably going off now anyway, and this is as good a way as any to improve them. I wouldn't bother trying anything more fancy than these though.
Best
Scott

MichaelPublic said:

Hi Michael,

I'm a owner of the 504 (have two in mint condition) and a 304. Did you got the 504? If, if there's no manual with it I can send a copy of mine per e-mail if you like.

I see you have the manual of the 304. Can you send me a copy?

Regards,

Marcel

MichaelPublic said:
Hi all,

2 3 4

Thank you for the pics, I have a 304 that I bought years ago along with the 8 track quad player plus a Technics SL-B200 turntable. All in mint condition.
I would like to have the manual as mine was lost over the years.
Here's a hint if you don't already know it, make all your leads to the 4 speakers the same length. This way you get rid of reverberations or echo when you place your speakers around the room.

regards,

Ande
Retired or as my wife says, simply retarded..

[Hi Marcel.
I'm an SA 504 owner (I received it by my father..). I need any information about this amp/rec., including users manual. Did you help me, please?
thank you:)
[email protected]

I have a Toshiba SA-304 and I scanned the manual awhile ago. The hard copy is at my parents' house, but if I can find the PDF file I'll post it here (I posted a link to it a long time ago but its no good anymore).

- James

ive a toshiba sa-504 receiver for about 5 yrs now got it from a salvation army and its definitly a keeper havent found any speakers that can handle it yet, but its gettin old and needed parts since before iv gotten it id really like to et as much info about it as possible including owners manual.iv also have an older kenwood 550 watts 3 channel need info 4 also was my late uncles from mid to late 80s i belive.

Back