Toshiba SD-4960 Universal player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailguy

Under a hundred bucks for a player that handles SACD and DVD-Audio; does this sound too good to be true? Well, I think it is.

What you get is a lightweight unit and a remote that is functional but tricky to use. With that being said, out of the box it will play your DVD-V's nicely. In addition to the usual CD's and mp's, this machine will play your DVD-A's and SACD's. Well, at least for awhile. After two months my unit lost the ability to play the hi-rez contend of a DVD-A, i.e. it recognized the disc as a DVD-V. There are no settings to correct this; it's a pretty straightforward unit.

Toshiba is being helpful. After calling the toll-free number, Jeff instructed me to forward just the unit to Lebanon, TN and it would be replaced. There are no repairs to be made; there are no parts available. For this reason, as of right now the warranty is good for at least two years.

The bottom line is if you're thinking about buying one you will get what you pay for. If you already have one and experience problems Toshiba is there to help.

Follow-up on 05-16-05:

Toshiba sent a brand new sd-5980 instead. Now that was generous of them because that is their top-of-the-line DVD player with HDMI output. But it doesn't fit my purpose because it doesn't play DVD-A or SACD. So I sold it on Amazon.com and now I will begin the search for a new one.

Attachments

• 4960.jpg
    4960.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 103
  • sd-4960_cljackpack.jpg
    sd-4960_cljackpack.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Looking at the shot, I don't see any way it can play multichannel - there are no RCA outputs.....
Is it one of the ever increasing crop of "stereo only" players?

Yes it can play multichannel, it has the 6 outputs. I posted previously on this player; I have had the same experience:i.e. after a period of about 6 months it was not able to recognize DVD-A's, and played them as DVD-V. The test was to play a DVD-A only disc, i.e. Piano; which it blanked out on. The second replacement unit I gave away, and bought at Pioneeer Elite 47ai. Toshiba was nice about replacing it - but after two units . . .

Back