Turntable suggestions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am putting together my first quad setup (starting with a QX-949 paired with four KLH Model 17s) and recently came across a Pioneer QL-600A quadrilizer for cheap. OK, time to build a second setup in this room!

My question is what would be a good turntable to use with this second setup. I already have a Pioneer SA-6500II amp waiting in the wings to work with the QL-600A. I have looked on many threads here and elsewhere, but I'm still unsure. I am only interested in SQ/QS recordings with this setup (the one through the QX-949 will be set up for CD-4). The guy from whom I bought the four KLH speakers has two turntables that have piqued my interest; one is a B&O Beogram 3404 and the other a Thorens TD-166 mk II. I know very little about B&O as a brand (other than that parts are scarce) and nothing about Thorens. I know I need low capacitance in the cables, from what I've read here; I have no idea if the arm already is set up for that in the previous models I mentioned? Someone said on another thread that they didn't want to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and I think that applies to me too: I don't want to make this any more difficult. I would welcome any suggestions for brands/models that are reputable and not flimsy and be a good match to the QL-600A, OR if you can tell me a little more about the models I previously mentioned. Would prefer brands/models that already have low capacitance in the arm so I don't have to change anything there.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
My suggestion would be a Linn LP12 or Rega 3. Many Grado cartridges have extended frequency response suitable for CD4 and work well in ‘not expensive’ tonearms. Honestly, B&O is not genuine hi fi quality.

The original BIC 900 series tables work perfectly for all quad LPs, including CD-4. As far as CD-4 cartridges, get ones designed for CD-4 to avoid unexpected disappointment.

Doug

I had a Thorens TD-166 (MkII?) for a while, never a mechanical problem. Uses standard cartridges. The problem I had was if the belt was too tight then the arm assembly would rub against the plinth, sub assembly not quite free floating.

As far as I know you can use any turntable you like, old or new but you have to have a cartridge installed with extended frequency range (40000 Hz?). The Thorens is good but a tricky subchassis player (german made) and the B&O (danish made) could also be ok. The problem with buying 2nd hand is that you might have to repair something on it and spare parts are sometimes not available anymore! If you're not an expert who also can judge on the overall state of the player and be able to fix it by yourself I would not recommend buying used equipment especially since you normally don't have warranty.
If I would be you I would watch out for a dedicated cartridge first because there are not so many on the market which fulfill the needs for playing quadrophonic records (frequency range!). You also have to check with the cartridge whether it is a MM/MI (Moving Magnet/Moving Iron) or MC (Moving Coil) model because the latter needs extra preamplification (Pre Pre Amplifier or Step Up Transformer) for the lower output voltage compared to the other models. Once you have sorted out this step you can concentrate on a turntable preferably a new model suiting your budget.

Good Luck!!

Horst

Last edited:
Over the last 5 years I have been very happy with my Technics 1200G. I love this table. I use a Hana ML cart for stereo and a Hana SL for mono. I have them weighted equally so I can just screw one in and out of the tonearm to switch between mono and stereo. Then all I have to do is change the stereo/mono setting on my McIntosh amp and I am in business. I have added an upgraded Japanese rubber mat, stillpoints isolator weight, & a automatic tonearm lifter to save wear on those carts. This is the best vinyl setup for the money I have ever had and I have had many over my 50 years of playing vinyl records.

I like Direct Drives but can’t get over how ugly those DJ tables look. I could spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to get something that would be better looking. Ended up getting a Rega Planar 3 a couple of years back that others are recommending and hot rodded it (added a metal subplatter, ceramic ball bearing, NEO PSU, etc.) and swapped out the Elys cartridge for the Exact.

They are now offering the 50th anniversary Planar 3 for a limited time. It comes with upgraded parts over the original Planar 3 which includes the NEO PSU (speed control) so you won’t have to change the belt to play between 45 and 33 1/3 speeds, for not much more money.

Highly recommended! Good luck! I hope you find the right turntable to fit your needs within your budget.

By the way I once had a B&O turntable until it bit the dust. I kept the MMC 10 E cart. If anyone is interested PM me and maybe we can make a deal. Thanks.

Over the last 5 years I have been very happy with my Technics 1200G. I love this table. I use a Hana ML cart for stereo and a Hana SL for mono. I have them weighted equally so I can just screw one in and out of the tonearm to switch between mono and stereo. Then all I have to do is change the stereo/mono setting on my McIntosh amp and I am in business. I have added an upgraded Japanese rubber mat, stillpoints isolator weight, & a automatic tonearm lifter to save wear on those carts. This is the best vinyl setup for the money I have ever had and I have had many over my 50 years of playing vinyl records.
Since the SL is a shibata stylus, and the ML is a microline, have you tried playing CD-4 discs, and if so, do they demodulate well?

surroundophile, good question. I have not tried that one but I would need a quad amp or some other piece of hardware for that to work wouldn't I? Right now my turntable is connected to a Mcintosh 2 channel amp so anyone that has suggestions on what that requires let us know. I just do quad, 5.1 and atmos using my Yamaha RXA-3080 via HDMI from my OPPO 205. Both my Yamaha & Mcintosh share my front main speakers as the Mcintosh has a home theatre by-pass so the yamaha is connected to the mcintosh with rca cables via front pre-amp from the yamaha to the mcintosh HT bypass input. I have a separate subwoofer for the mcintosh and yamaha. The sub for the yamaha uses LFE and the sub for the Mcintosh uses a crossover setting of around 45hz as my front mains on their own go only go down to 32hz. So when I listen to multichannel I turn on the yamaha and a trigger cable turns on the mcintosh. When I listen to 2 channel vinyl I just turn on the macintosh and for 2 channel cd's including stereo sacd's I just use the mcintosh along with my OPPO 205 via the audio only XLR outputs on the OPPO. With that audio only dac for the OPPO 205 my 2 channel cd's sound outstanding. I wanted to separate all my multi channel from my 2 channel stuff and it has been amazing. The Mcintosh MAC-7200 is not cheap but I plan on passing that one on to family members as they have a great history of lasting forever.

Seems that some didn't get that the turntable will be used for quadro playback! In this case not all cartridges work! Turntable itself is a different story, that could be anything spinning :)
Would be nice to get to know a budget from duckpin76 or other feedback otherwise he'll get recommendations from 100$ to 100000$!

Since the SL is a shibata stylus, and the ML is a microline, have you tried playing CD-4 discs, and if so, do they demodulate well?
CD-4 depends NOT on the stylus (a normal good is OK), but depends on the frequency range!
When it all started I got a VM-35F (from AT) which had an eliptical but goes up to 50kHz - no problems.
With shibata you can bring a higher force up to 2,5p on the record without damaging anything - that's the only difference!

The primary reason for the development of the Shibata stylus was to provide a greater reliability in picking up the supersonic carrier frequencies through the increased vertical contact area and, as a bonus, it also allowed higher tracking pressures with no increase in record wear due to the same factor.

Doug

https://pspatialaudio.com/carts_4_CD4.htm
Remember that some channel separation above 15kHz is also needed for CD-4 to work, the above link is the most recent investigation of phono carts for CD-4.

Perhaps a crossfeed scheme like the Technics SH-400 CCC could be used to try to improve the channel separation above 15kHz for a specific phono cart.

Kirk Bayne

Back