TVs (and Monitors)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAbsentMind

Formerly IronWaffle
QQ Supporter
Being that this is an audio forum, it makes sense we don't (or I couldn't find) a thread to discuss televisions, but now that so much surround music is streamed through video devices (Apple TV, Fire Stick, etc.), I thought it'd be useful to add this increasingly central hardware to our topics. While I'm personally interested in recent and current Sony and LG, I think the topic can/should be broader and deeper. Good, bad, and ugly. CRT TVs, computer monitors, that Plasma that they'll have to pry from your cold, dead hands.

So, here's my own First World Conundrum:

I'm about to replace/upgrade my decade-old 65" Samsung UHDTV/3D-TV to a 77" OLED. By any account, the improvement should be so vast that either the leading Sony or LG models should do the trick. But before I spend $2000+ to hang one on the wall, I wanted to learn more from others with fairly recent OLEDs. Once it's here, it'll be logistically difficult for me to return something that big.

My own concern with the new TV is how it handles banding. I've always been sensitive to it but now that I stream a lot on Apple Music with its gently mutating gradient backgrounds... it's become an ever-present annoyance front and center. Since Apple an esoteric use-case, I think this is really the only community that may share this peculiar little focus. I'd love to know what others are using that may not have (or has minimal) banding, even QLED or other tech.

Since I enjoy the scrolling lyrics (sometimes) and since the TV is a black monolith in front of the sweet spot (always), turning it off isn't my ideal workaround. Neither is using screensavers and controlling from my phone.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any thoughts, advice, etc.

I'm planning to get a new 4K/UHD TV in the next year or so, I recommend getting a TV with Dolby Vision display capability (not sure if Samsung does).

AFAIK, the banding is in the original video and isn't related to the display technology, many TVs have video noise reduction systems that can be used to reduce the visibility of certain things in the source video, maybe there's a setting (or a few) that reduces the visibility of banding (I don't use video NR systems, except when they are nondefeatable, such as in the VHS videotape HQ system).

Kirk Bayne

I've not had any noticable banding on my Sony 65 A80J. No experience with LG.

I do worry about shortening the life of the panel by having it on when listening to music. I have a computer monitor hooked up to an Oppo 103 for navigating MCH discs. And I do use my Iphone for navigating Apple Music when streaming.

I've not had any noticable banding on my Sony 65 A80J. No experience with LG.

I do worry about shortening the life of the panel by having it on when listening to music. I have a computer monitor hooked up to an Oppo 103 for navigating MCH discs. And I do use my Iphone for navigating Apple Music when streaming.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. I’m leaning towards LG (for budget reasons) but this alone might be worth it.

Banding and, soundwise, sibilance are the bane of my media existence!

I agree about lifespan. I turn off the screen when using my Oppo 203 for music. I may do the same on Apple TV once I swap TVs. If not always, sometimes.

Back