two versions of CD4 Quadraphonic Elvis Aloha from Hawaii

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

ttodd0450

I have in my hands two Lp CD4 lp's of Elvis Aloha from Hawaii.,
Both have the same cat#VPSX-6089., both have orange RCA labels. BUT one of the quadra disc has:"QuadraDisc" on top, "RCA" on bottom (darker orange label), and the other lp set has: "RCA" on side , Quadradisc on the Bottom, (Lighter orange labels,).
My obvisious question is which album is more rare, and worth more. I have come across one site that lists the quadradisc along the top as worth three times more.. is this true???

"Aloha From Hawaii" is one of the most, if not THE most, common CD-4 Quadradisc records of all time. Some people ask insane amounts for these records not knowing how incredibly common they are.

As for label variations, earlier pressings are going to be more desirable for performance reasons but are not necessarily rarer. The earliest pressings are on thicker vinyl with the quadradisc logo in "rainbow" letters. Mid pressings are on thinner vinyl with the quadradisc logo in red letters. Later pressings have brown labels and may actually be the rarest. There may be other label variations but those are the three I'm familiar with. This concerns domestic US releases only. Foreign pressings (especially Japanese) are going to be worth a premium.

The album also appeared as CPD2-2642. Except for the record number, the jacket is the same as VPSX-6089; the record sleeves are exactly the same. The LPs in my copy have black labels with no mention of "Quadradisc", "quadraphonic" or "quad". Maybe someone has a copy with different labels. Copies show up regularly on eBay, though not as often as VPSX-6089.

I thought I had copies of all the label variations of VPSX-6089. Mine include the early reddish-orange label with the "Quadradisc" logo at the top, adorned with a multi-colored "d"; and an orange label with the "Quadradisc" logo at the bottom in white, except for a dark orange "d".

Looks like I'm missing the versions with the red "Quadradisc" logo and with the brown labels.

Larry

...now if you got the version with a "Chicken of the Sea" promo sticker on the cover, that's worth some cash.

Back