Universal Music Vinyl Record Crowdfunding Reissues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
am I seeing things?? the World's biggest record label is asking for money up-front to fund reissues now..!? I understand an act that is/wasn't mainstream or isn't signed to a major label needing fan support and funding to reissue something for the fans rather than the masses, etc.. but seriously Universal want us to pledge for Foo Fighters and Nirvana stuff..?!? Unbelievable... what a sorry state of affairs.

Here are the labels that Universals owns/presses that issued Quad titles:
20th Century
A&M/Horizon
ABC/Blue Thumb/Bluesway/Command/Dunhill/Impulse/Project 3
Avco
BASF
Brain
Capitol/Apple/EMI/Harvest/Haven/Odeon/Regal Zonophone
Capricorn
Chess/Cadet
CTI/Kudu/Salvation
Janus
London/Brunswick/Deram/MaM/Parrot/Threshold
Mercury/Philips/Vertigo
Motown/Tamla
Musicor
Ohr
Passport
Polydor
RSO
Sire
United Artists/Blue Note/Liberty
Virgin

http://m.guardiannews.com/music/2013/jul/16/universal-vinyl-crowdfunding-rare-albums-reissue

What labels are in their back catalog that made quad LP's? I'm sure they have some.

Maybe we should get some reissued.

20th Century
A&M/Horizon
Avco
BASF
Brain/Ohr
Capricorn
Chess/Cadet
CTI/Kudu/Salvation
Janus
Mercury/Philips/Vertigo
Motown/Tamla
Musicor
Passport
Polydor
RSO
Sire
Virgin

quad kitty is not sleeping, do you think they would? That-would be the * whoops-no t word.

Maybe we can make them make the Motown CD-4's :p

Maybe we can make them make the Motown CD-4's :p

I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for that. During the days that UMG was making SACDs and DVD-As, there were requests for the Motown Surround CD-4s to appear in hi-rez.
On their forum, the UMG staff said they couldn't find the '70s Quad Mixes in their tape libraries that were used for the CD-4s in Japan on Motown and Tamla.

20th Century
A&M/Horizon
Avco
BASF
Brain/Ohr
Capricorn
Chess/Cadet
CTI/Kudu/Salvation
Janus
Mercury/Philips/Vertigo
Motown/Tamla
Musicor
Passport
Polydor
RSO
Sire
Virgin

Universal swallowed up all those labels.. like a colossal sea creature basking with its mouth wide open, sucking everything up in its path and spitting bits back out again --- and now they want us to cough up in advance for them to cough up some of those crumbs...?!?

NO WAY.

I don't care if it does mean old quad vinyl reissues, I find this news disgusting. I will not be pledging a penny to these bastards. they have destroyed competition in the music business by ruthlessly buying out/taking over all their competitors... and now they've killed So many of their competitors off, they have the damned nerve to ask for money in advance for releases. it's not just unhealthy, it's super-deluxe SICK. the little guys need the pledges to get their stuff out.. but a gluttonous global mega corporation super-label? NO!

I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for that. During the days that UMG was making SACDs and DVD-As, there were requests for the Motown Surround CD-4s to appear in hi-rez.
On their forum, the UMG staff said they couldn't find the '70s Quad Mixes in their tape libraries that were used for the CD-4s in Japan on Motown and Tamla.

they have the tapes for Diana's "Last Time I Saw Him" CD-4.. but when the time came for Hip-O to reissue it, they saw fit to present the Quad mix on plain ol' stereo redbook.... :mad:@:

seems that's how it work. label have to get at least 100 pre-orders with price tag on average $18~23 per unit,
to justify re-print of the album. thus it's not mass issue but rather limited run. if that's the deal, i can't see
anything wrong in such idea. alas would be better if they could do this with DVD-A/SACD which were deleted,
delayed or OOP.

assessing numbers to gauge interest before going to the expense of reissuing something obscure is good business practice and plain common sense -- but why should an organisation on this scale have to resort to pre-order financial donations/pledges for reissuing huge acts like Nirvana..?? Absolutely APPALLING, they should be ashamed of themselves.

for small acts & labels I'm behind these pledges & crowdfunding etc all the way -- 100%, it's the only way a lot of this stuff will appear nowadays ..but for massive-selling acts on the biggest label in the world, it's not even funny. why did Universal buy up all these labels and their artists and back catalogues if they're not going to put their money where their mouth is and have faith in their investment and release these things using their own finances & resources..!?

you support the big labels by buying their gargantuan artists' material, some of that money goes back into just these kinds of reissues for their artists that don't sell in vast quantities, etc.

you support Universal in this "endeavour" if you want to, I'd rather pledge money to an artist that Universal DUMPED than pay a bloated corporation upfront when they could well-afford to self-fund anything they choose from their archives, if they weren't run so incompetently.

Adam you're too emotionally approaching this :)
it's not really matter as long, as there will be happy customers.
my guess UMG is doing an attempt to adapt this model into their structure and looks at this more
like market research, insured by the monetary found, to show seriousness of intentions of those, who voted.
that's why i mentioned that will be great if similar model would be applied to DVD-A and SACD. particularly
keeping in mind production of such mediums obviously is cheaper than production of LPs, doesn't need to
dig into archive and mess with old tapes, etc. i guess many of OOP or mixed but never been printed surround
releases will gain 100 votes with money up-front in blink of the eyes.

Whenever I skim the threads that have been updated, I read the title of this thread as "Universal Music Vinyl Record Confounding Reissues," which is what it is!

Seriously, when I first learned of this, I thought, "You're late to the party. There are already plenty of players in the vinyl re-release niche, and now you're just trying to get in on the action." Ho-hum. The re-issues are already on their way, whether I help fund it or not.

Now back to speculation over quad reissues...

Brain/Ohr

Brain never issued quad titles, other than "maybe" reissues from artists formerly at Cosmic Couriers like Klaus Schulze or Tangerine Dream.

Ohr / Pilz / Cosmic Couriers are labels formed by Rolf Ulrich Kaiser, known for giving his artists drugs without their knowing, to record "happenings". Some musicians got tired of his "cosmic ideas" and left the label. I think distribution went to Mikulski and then ZYX while R.U. Kaiser completely disappeared and never was seen again.

Brain Records was a sublabel of Metronome, and had nothing to do with Ohr Pilz CC. They are now under the Universal labels.

-Kristian

According to Mark Anderson, Schulze did have a Quad on Brain:
KLAUS SCHULZE -
Cyborg. Cosmuc Music CLE 33001 (SQ) [France], Brain 2/1078 (SQ)
[Germany]

Although I own lots of Brains, I don't own any Quads and Irrlicht is the only Ohr Quad I own.

Did not mean to imply that Ohr and Brain were the same or related labels. Sorry.

Also, I'm sure there are other labels owned or distributed by Universal beyond my list that released Quad titles.

Brain never issued quad titles, other than "maybe" reissues from artists formerly at Cosmic Couriers like Klaus Schulze or Tangerine Dream.

Ohr / Pilz / Cosmic Couriers are labels formed by Rolf Ulrich Kaiser, known for giving his artists drugs without their knowing, to record "happenings". Some musicians got tired of his "cosmic ideas" and left the label. I think distribution went to Mikulski and then ZYX while R.U. Kaiser completely disappeared and never was seen again.

Brain Records was a sublabel of Metronome, and had nothing to do with Ohr Pilz CC. They are now under the Universal labels.

-Kristian

If you are an artist using a crowdfunding platform such as kickstarter, you have some great resources available to you once someone donates. You may have gained a few bucks, but you’ve also gained a fan and that relationship should be treasured. Crowdfunding is truly an effective way of raising money for a cause or project.

If you are an artist using a crowdfunding platform such as kickstarter, you have some great resources available to you once someone donates. You may have gained a few bucks, but you’ve also gained a fan and that relationship should be treasured. Crowdfunding is truly an effective way of raising money for a cause or project.

crowdfunding is great for "the little guys" but Universal have tons of money to fund releases already, they can afford to conduct market research and then make a calculated risk to release stuff or not based on the findings. the only way I could stomach this from the largest record label in the World was if it were to help more 5.1 mixes from Universal's vaults & artists, etc.

Back