Donn Landee Interview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
In the Feb/Mar 2024 issue of Tape Op, Greg Renoff interviews veteran Warner Bros engineer Donn Landee. A significant portion of the interview is on Landee's work with the Doobies.
https://tapeop.com/interviews/159/donn-landee/
He has this to say about mixing the DBs in quad:
The intro to "China Grove" is one of those riffs that was tailor-made for the era of AM radio. It grabs your attention. How did you record that?

Tom was using his Echoplex for a delay; it was too noisy so we had him record without it. Ted and I told him we could add it in the mix. He said, "Are you sure?" But when we mixed it, we forgot to add that effect!

That sounds like it was a significant problem. How did you get the echo back into the mix?

At that time, we [Ted Templeman, Lenny Waronker, and Landee] mixed everything simultaneously in stereo and quadraphonic. I made a new stereo mix by combining the quad mix to stereo and adding the effect in the intro and breakdown. We did this after the album was mixed. I don't remember if we ever did anything about the quad mix not having the effect.

In 2020, Rhino re-released the quad mixes of the early Doobie records, and audiophiles rave about those reissues. But I remember Ted telling me that he thought that recording and mixing with quad in mind was not enjoyable at all.

Working with quadraphonic ended up being a waste of time. The Amigo Studio A control room was built for quad, and we made quad mixes for every new project. At first, it wasn't so bad; we made some quad mixes and they sounded pretty good. But they were to be released on vinyl. When JVC brought in a quad system and played back quad disks in Studio A, they sounded horrible. Still, I think if you played the original quad master tapes today, they'd sound pretty good.

Another person unsatisfied with JVC'S CD-4 system , or in other words a nail in quads coffin.

It's really too bad they didn't switch to a matrix quad format or at the very least issue matrix quad albums alongside the CD-4 .
The quad reel to reel system was definitely the format of choice for the engineer, but quite costly for the average Joe consumer.

But now , we have finally... something equally as good , (maybe even better) thanks to Rhino's Quadio bluray program. At a really reasonable cost as well, for not just quadraphiles but everyone into Iconic music .
Thankyou @ForagingRhino ...and all at Rhino WEA .

Thanks @humprof..for this wonderful interview into quad , with Donn Landee. Quadraphonic engineer extraordinaire.

In the Feb/Mar 2024 issue of Tape Op, Greg Renoff interviews veteran Warner Bros engineer Donn Landee. A significant portion of the interview is on Landee's work with the Doobies.
https://tapeop.com/interviews/159/donn-landee/
He has this to say about mixing the DBs in quad:

Very interesting, and it explains why the Doobies quad mixes are nearly identical to the stereo mixes, or in the case of China Grove the stereo mix is identical to the quad.

The comment about "we made quad mixes for every new project" at Amigo is intriguing - @ForagingRhino do you have an extensive accounting of the quad assets you hold, or should we be looking through Herschberg, Landee, and Waronker stereo mix credits for possible unreleased quad mixes?

Very interesting, and it explains why the Doobies quad mixes are nearly identical to the stereo mixes, or in the case of China Grove the stereo mix is identical to the quad.

The comment about "we made quad mixes for every new project" at Amigo is intriguing - @ForagingRhino do you have an extensive accounting of the quad assets you hold, or should we be looking through Herschberg, Landee, and Waronker stereo mix credits for possible unreleased quad mixes?
No.
You have to search artist, album title, master.
For each and every.

Hmmmm..... Templeman, Landee & Waronker worked with Little Feat on Sailin' Shoes at Amigo just before they did Toulouse Street with the Doobies. Perhaps there's an unreleased Feat quad?

No Little Feat as I asked Steve when I had the opportunity , back in September.
Love Little Feat , and maybe there's a chance to have a newly minted quad when that time comes.

Back