USB turntables

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw my first USB turntable the other day and I thought "what a great idea!" I've been wanting an affordable option to play vinyl in my office through my computer. Unfortunately, the turntable was very cheap (in terms of quality).

However, I've since found that there are numerous USB capable phono amps on the market, which will allow you to use any turntable you want. I plan on going this route but haven't decided on a phono amp yet. I'm seriously considering this one since it is so darn cheap and seems to be getting good reviews.

Sorry, but no firsthand experience... yet...

Lonster's inquiry now has me researching USB phono stage options. Before I go jumping on the ART USB Phono Plus v2, I want to find out the specs, but I'm having trouble finding them.

Basically, these boxes have ADC (analog to digital conversion) circuitry that will impact the quality of the output. I would prefer to find one that samples at 96kHz but so far I'm only finding ones that sample at 48kHz (such as the Pro-Ject Phono Box II USB). No word on the ART since I can't find specs...

So, the hunt continues...

USB 1.1 = 12Mbps
USB 2.0 = 480Mbps

Should be plenty of room for stereo on 1.1. USB 2.0 could handle 4 channels (or much more.)

I have one just used it to do a stereo record for my kids school have not had time to play with it much but works great line level out strait to my cd burner. have not tried the usb yet.
Jim

I have an Audio Technica AT LP 2D which I picked up new for under $150 - it doesn't have a USB connection such as the ION but from what I understand, it's much better to go direct into your sound card and bypass the USB port. I use it primarily to back up some of my more "dated" LPs from back in the day when the most important use of an LP was to incorporate the album cover to sort out the seeds:smokin.

It's not hi fi but it definitely helped to salvage some old chestnuts that were previously collecting dust.

None of the CNet reviews on USB turntables rate them anything better than 7 out of 10. They're pretty lightweight, with not much acoustic isolation, and the built-in preamps are pretty weak sauce when compared to what's in even the average receiver, let along a nice pro unit (still searching for a Pacific Recorders TX-990... anyone? Anyone? Beuller?).

My opinion: if you have a good TT already, stay with it. The extra hassle of running an input to your sound card is worth it.

ok for all your help jon:

I did get a ion usb turntable as well
it i was amazed at the recording. but
Now tati have the lexicon omega
I can record albums from my original
turntable.Either way I found that when I run them
through soundsoap it clens them up real nice
instead of editing the pops and cracks myself.
but anywy that is my experience with the usb turntable.

I was lookin around at these and the Numark TT-USB was the best of the low end TT
the Stanton: T.90 USB was better, but really its improvements were for a DJ
these are light plastic so far.
there was one well made usb turntable at a much higher price but I can't remeber the name now

The only one I'd even touch would be the Sony, and it looks like they cranked up a production line that had been forgotten in 1985...

So can these things record 24/96 stereo through a USB port?

I was looking at the Stanton but it doesn't say.

Jon:

Classy new Avatar! :smokin

Justin

Thanks Justin!

The latest Sound & Vision has a review of the Pro-Ject Debut III USB turntable that is very favorable. I can find it on line for $299 from many legit places.

Anyone here have this model? I'd still like to know if you can plug this into a PC USB port and record at 24/96 into Sound Forge or AA.

Back