Pioneer PL-560 TT and quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Anyone ever use a Pioneer PL-560 as a quad turntable? Unsure if it is set up for this use. There is one for sale locally at my used record shop at a good price. Looking for a companion to my Dual. Not familiar with this model but it has a lot of extra goodies.

Thanks,
Brian

Any TT should be useable for Quad! It's the cartridge which has to be suitable. It should track up to 40 KHz, so you have to look at these ones first.

The Pioneer PL-55DX I bought overseas in 75 was made to quad specs including low cap tone arm wireing and TT to reciever connections,original cartridge was a PC-Q1.

Thanks for the replies. I’m sure this has been covered ad nauseum on here, but how can I figure out if there is already low capacitance in the arm? Will I need to use a multimeter, or is this information found in the spec sheet?

I know I should look for a Shibata cartridge, or the like …

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1978-10.pdf#page=101
This chart says 50pF for the Pioneer PL-560 turntable, it should work fine for CD-4 (using a phono cartridge made for CD-4 playback).

Kirk Bayne
Comparing with others from 1978, 50pF is quite good! Assuming that the original cables have not been changed.

Chinese made capacitance meters are very inexpensive and useful to check the turntable wiring. Just remember to remove the cartridge first!

Back