VU Meters

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty impressive. I like! Extra cool that you know how to match this to Alexa voice control. Maybe I didn't read close enough but what is the numeric digital read out on the right side? Haha, I also have used the "wooden cleat" construction method but I'm more of a foam core guy. Compared to simple quad, ATMOS displays are whole next level in project complexity. The only similar one I've seen similar on the forum is by Zeeround, see #17.

Your Youtube video has no motion... it is a series of still photos, yes?

The small display on the right side is just a digital voltmeter that shows the 12.0 V (aprox) of the PCB power supply.

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07Z7BH7S7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put it there just for fun, and also to have a feeling of how good is the power supply. As you see in the link above, I bought 4 of them, each one with a different color. BUT to change the color I have to disassemble and remove it. I did already thought about that to make it easy. ;)

The last link in my post is a full video. It is not Youtube, but imgur. When I click the link (on the video/picture in the post) I can see the 'full video' play and in the imgur page with an option to activate the sound and hear the music that match the display. Does not work for you?

DIY VUMeters BOX Finished

I finally finished my DIY VUMeter Box for the 13 channels of the Denon 8500. Taking the signals from the pre-outs. COVID times and retirement has enabled it.

I like these Chinese VUmeters. They are programable with different displays modes and different settings,

I had to amplify the voltage level from the pre-outs. I tried initially with the small 3W amps mentioned some posts above, but they generated much noise and was not easy to display anything. Saturated Full bar LEDs nearly all the time.

So, I decided to build some voltage level amps using standard LM324 Op-Amps. With Potentiometers to have a variable Gain from 20 to 80.

Also, I put a spare WI-FI controlled switches, from my previous Speaker Switch Box, to enable ON/OFF with Alexa. I didn’t find a suitable Box, so I ended up making it myself with cardboard and wood.

I have had a lot of fun and I have dusted off my skills of electronics and DIY manual works.

Once I calibrated the displays, to show more or less the same amount of LEDs for the same amount of signal level, I Did see graphically with my eyes all the theory I already knew:

- With DTS, surround backs are replicates from surrounds. The same pattern is followed by both VUMeters. But if an upmixer is engaged with DTS, then different content is send to the surround backs.
- Neural:X sends more content level to the Heights than DSU.
- With DSU 'Center Spread', the Fronts display got higher and Central smaller, and viceversa.
- Auromatic upmixer makes the same patterns to the Heights as its corresponding floor level speakers. And little content to Central High and VOG.

Here you have some pictures of the final assembling stages. At the end below, a link to a video showing how it looks. The VUMeter LEDs are in a central display mode, but they can be programmed also as standard bars growing from below, with or without peaks, moving peaks, etc.

If anyone is interested in the design details, I'm still compiling all paper notes, and designs spread on Word and Excel files to a Final Document. I will share it if anyone is interested.

View attachment 60947View attachment 60948View attachment 60949View attachment 60950View attachment 60951View attachment 60952View attachment 60953

This is the Link to the Video. You have to click it and enable there the sound to fully see it:

Ostras, Pedrin!!!! eso es trabajo de chinos casi!!!!

I've fitted my SM2 with VU meters so Chucky will know how big a box the SM3 or Super Surround Pre-Amp will need to be built into for a proper display!! I was going to build my own but couldn't be arsed, especially as these Bulgarian (!) ebay ones cost less than I'd have to have paid for the components and cases. Not sure they're terribly accurate, but it doesn't really matter, they flap around quite convincingly....

P1030212.JPG

Unlike me, decorative rather than functional!

Last edited:
I've fitted my SM2 with VU meters so Chucky will know how big a box the SM3 or Super Surround Pre-Amp will need to be built into for a proper display!! I was going to build my own but couldn't be arsed, especially as these Bulgarian (!) ebay ones cost less than I'd have to have paid for the components and cases. Not sure they're terribly accurate, but it doesn't really matter, they flap around quite convincingly....

View attachment 61004

Unlike me, decorative rather than functional!
Me likey the crazy effort, and definitely “Proper!”
Way to drive Chucky n DTB back to sanity.:giggle:

Ostras, Pedrin!!!! eso es trabajo de chinos casi!!!!

Pues si. No veas el tiempo que me ha llevado. Pero he insistido hasta terminarlo, porque mis anteriores jugueteos con Arduino se quedaron solo en prototipos que no terminé y me dio mucha pena.
Me he puesto al día un poco en electrónica y me he divertido mucho.
Y mi mujer muy contenta porque dice que con eso alejo el alzhéimer.

I have spent too much time. But I insisted to finished it, because my previous Arduino gadgets ended as prototypes without final conclusion. And it was a pity.
I've caught up on electronics and have had Lot of fun!
And my wife is happy and telling me that this way I put Alzheimer away.

Really nice!

Yeah I would be interested in the op-amp stuff.

HERE YOU HAVE MY 13 Channel VU Meter Documentation Set

I finished documenting everything for the Posterity and for those of you who want to see how I did it, and some more pictures.

It would even be valid for someone who wants to build another similar one.

Start reading the Design and Building Guide PDF. The rest of documents not needed unless you need more...

Attachments

• AVR VUMeter-Design and Building Guide.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 231
  • AVR VUMeter-Rest of Documents.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 184
Back