Weird Oppo bdp-103d issue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I picked up an Oppo bdp-103d a while back so I could have a reliable bluray player in the living room, and also have something to backup my SACDs. Since I do most SACD listening in the car, or on my other Oppo player, it's been a while since I played an SACD on this player - but I do rip them frequently.

The other day, I threw in a single layer stereo SACD, and got an unknown disc error. Eject and reinstert, same error, won't play the disc. I grab a 2nd disc that's nearby, also happens to be stereo only single layer, same error, unknown disc.

So I spun up the ripping software again, start a rip of the 2nd disc, and - it's ripping without issue.

I need to do more troubleshooting - see what it does with hybrid discs, multi discs, throw more discs at it, but wanted to get the facts down to start with, and start asking the question - anyone else see anything like this? Unknown disc error suggests a hardware issue recognizing the disc - but successfully ripping a discs suggests there's no hardware issue as the hardware is able to read the data off the disc. The player is regularly used for dvd and bluray playback without issue. This is a rather confusing set of circumstances, the tests completely contradict one another.

Further testing has demonstrated that the player will thrown an unknown disc error at any disc with an SACD layer - hybrid or not - multi or stereo only.

I've confirmed that it will play CDs just fine.

So it seems the hardware is fine, it can read an SACD just fine when ripping with iso2dsd, but the software in the player itself has a bug or glitch that causes it to throw an unknown disc error at any SACD.

The thought occurs to upgrade the firmware - but I don't trust Oppo for one second! It's well known that firmware "upgrades" are often downgrades, and can be unreversible. I have no idea if upgrading the firmware will break my ripping capabilities, which is a huge reason for buying the player - and worse yet, if the upgrade breaks this functionality, and doesn't fix the problem, now I"ve completely destroyed any usefulness in this player as far as SACD goes.

Anyone know what the most current firmware is for this player that won't break or downgrade it?

The firmware update did the trick. I'll need to test that ripping still works, but sounds like that shouldn't be an issue. Weird, because I know for sure it was playing SACDs fine earlier this year, not sure why a bad firmware will just decide to stop recognizing one type of disc at some point.

The firmware update did the trick. I'll need to test that ripping still works, but sounds like that shouldn't be an issue. Weird, because I know for sure it was playing SACDs fine earlier this year, not sure why a bad firmware will just decide to stop recognizing one type of disc at some point.
Good to hear. And yeah: none of the 10x updates removed the ability to rip SACD--only the ability to play SACD-R.

My 105 (yeah, I know, different deck) never had any problem with SACD, but it occasionally won’t output video when playing a blu-ray. I tried it connected to my computer monitor with a different cable, and that sidn’t fix anything, so itks probably not HDMI handshake issues. I’ve occasionally “fixed” it by removing thumb drives, unplugging overnight, or just trying again. I have no freaking clue what’s going on, but the infatuation is evaporating.

Back