Well I dreamed I saw the silver spaceships flying.. (Q4/Q8 Titles)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks interesting, but do they actually seperate the guitar parts or do you get one long mono file with all the guitars mixed to it?

Thanks for link fredblue. They also offer a free program supposedly to isolate tracks:

http://jammit.com/how-it-works

the stems work within their proprietary Jammit software.

that's one of the flies in the ointment, as far as I could see.. how to re-work these into a surround mix, without playing each individual stem back and recording each one in real time to then work on..?!

I'm just too much of a Luddite to do it all.. but it does seem like a challenge worth undertaking to finally get that incredible Boston album in true discrete surround.. at last!

Ok, one more that I personally think should have been thought about while the opportunity was there to take:

BlueQ8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love mixing into surround and would be able to at the very least do a DTS CD of it. It'd be about $100 to download all the stems. Hmmmm.....tempting....

Did anybody else notice that there were Yes - Close to the Edge stems on Jammit as well?? Am I to assume that the story goes that SOME of the multitracks from that album went missing - not ALL the multitracks went missing?

Did anybody else notice that there were Yes - Close to the Edge stems on Jammit as well?? Am I to assume that the story goes that SOME of the multitracks from that album went missing - not ALL the multitracks went missing?
Very interesting. They have stems for the complete Close to the Edge album. It would cost about $100 to get them all, then somehow extract them from their apps to remix it.
It looks like each stem you buy comes in a separate app with one individual instrument and a mix of the rest. Does anyone here have any more info on this? Format, bitrate, are these mp3 like the Rock Band extractions? I might try a cheap song to get into this.
From their faq:
Jammit is the first music software solution that isolates individual audio tracks from the original multi-track masters spanning the history of popular music from the 1960s to present
Jammit songs go through an involved production process of licensing, finding master tapes, digital transfers, mix re-creations, stemming, transcribing and authoring before it hits your device.

Why do I hear some of the song even when “Band” is muted out?
Older recordings may have been tracked live and you can hear some of the other individual instruments through the bleed in the room when they were recorded. Also, sometimes the rights holders feel it necessary to embed some of the mix into the isolated tracks in an attempt to deter illicit use.

the stems work within their proprietary Jammit software.

that's one of the flies in the ointment, as far as I could see.. how to re-work these into a surround mix, without playing each individual stem back and recording each one in real time to then work on..?!

I'm just too much of a Luddite to do it all.. but it does seem like a challenge worth undertaking to finally get that incredible Boston album in true discrete surround.. at last!

Reading the FAQs there was a comment....that sounds hopeful....

"You just have to select Export Recording under the File menu, open you email program and manually select the file as an attachment, then email. Note that on the OS X version of the app, your recording will be exported as a full quality WAV file that may be too large for you to email."

The question is can you export the stems themselves as WAVs....

looking through the stems on the app, there are Pretenders tracks, Albert King stems, all sorts of really cool stuff with lots of potential.

certainly the most interesting things to me are the Boston and Yes stems.

it makes me wonder if these stems are available because the likes of Sony & Warner prepared them for 5.1 mixes of Boston, Close to the Edge, etc., or even used them to create surround mixes that for whatever reason never saw a commercial release.

you never know, in some roundabout way, folks like us buying them to remix into 5.1 for our own surround pleasure, may lead to Jammit getting funding to license more exciting multitracks..!?

I posted in another QQ thread yesterday about the availability of multitrack stems for a good half a dozen out & out Bee Gees' classics, which would I'm sure also be incredible in surround.

Yes stems.
it makes me wonder if these stems are available because the likes of Sony & Warner prepared them for 5.1 mixes of Boston, Close to the Edge, etc., or even used them to create surround mixes that for whatever reason never saw a commercial release.

Except we were led to believe the Close to the Edge multitrack tapes were missing. It certainly sounds like someone found them.

"You just have to select Export Recording under the File menu, open you email program and manually select the file as an attachment, then email. Note that on the OS X version of the app, your recording will be exported as a full quality WAV file that may be too large for you to email."

WAV export is good, but what is the source format, making WAVs from MP3 is not great.

So you could lower the band fader, then export the stem solo as a mix. That will work to a degree. I just wish I could buy all the stems for a song in a single app, or a full album app even better.
I'm pretty sure that's what they want to avoid, it's supposed to be for learning a specific part of a song.

No. You can export only your recorded track. The only way I can figure to get the stems is to record them from the speaker outs. I can't get it to play over my hi-rez sound card either where I have access to the digital stream.

If you're using Windows you may try Virtual Cable. Don't know at present time how it does works with W7, back in the days it saved me a lot of troubles on XP.

of the "newer" stuff on Jammit, there's stems for Maroon 5, Daniel Powter, KT Tunstall.. and in the acapellas site I linked to previously with the Bee Gees there's stems for lots more recent/chart acts like Lady GaGa, Katy Perry, etc.. there's so much to play with!

I may just have to download it all and play around with it, even though I haven't the foggiest what I'm doing..!!

No. You can export only your recorded track. The only way I can figure to get the stems is to record them from the speaker outs. I can't get it to play over my hi-rez sound card either where I have access to the digital stream.

So can you record with just 1 stem?

I had a brief fiddle earlier and had to mute everything else and use audio hijack to record each individual stem (within each package of stems) in real time.

then I hit a brick wall trying to accurately cue & edit up all the individually recorded stems in garageband... and this is all before I'm anywhere near creating a mix -- not that I know what program I'd need to do that anyway!?

I'm not sure i have the patience/ability/software to do this, so I might just bow out and leave it to the rest of you guys.

one thing it has shown me, it certainly gives me even greater respect for amateurs & pro's alike who pull this kind of thing off seemingly without breaking into so much as a sweat..!

Back