West Bruce Laing - Why Doncha

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
What is up with this quad mix? Is it just me, or is the fronts mono, with things missing? I'm not sure if this is laziness and they mixed in triphonic, or if there is a missing channel where the missing parts went. Any opinions on this?

I converted a Q8 of this title for a friend of mine, and it sounded OK to me, do you have a bad tape? Is it a Canadian or US tape?

JonUrban said:
I converted a Q8 of this title for a friend of mine, and it sounded OK to me, do you have a bad tape? Is it a Canadian or US tape?

Does the front sound mono to you in your conversion? I listened to it several times before I actually noticed. As far as things missing, it isn't anything blatantly obvious, and I didn't really notice at first since I don't have a stereo version of this title. I recently listened to an mp3 of pollution woman, and noticed a small vocal part missing, which when I listened closely to the quad tape, I could kinda hear ghosting of it. So I figure either one of the front channels got doubled and the other is missing, or it's just lazy mixing. Also, I made this notice on program 2 of the tape, I attempted a transfer which I never finished due to the hum noise on my crappy harmon kardon q8 deck, but I still have my backup of the recorded in audio, and I only pulled up program 2. I'll have to check 1 and see if that is also mono fronts. Might I be able to get a copy of your transfer for comparison purposes?

ok, program 1 obviously has stereo in the fronts, but all of program 2 is mono in the front. I'm going to double check my wavs. I did also pop the tape in for a second when I first noticed this, and put on program 2, and noticed mono as well, so I don't think it's my wavs. It would be odd for an album to be mixed half quad, half lazy tri, so I'm led to believe it is the tape. Bummer. As far as it being Canadian or US, I dunno, how would I find that out?

We can tell by the catalog number and the cartridge/label design. Are the songs listed on the "front" of the tape below the album cover artwork (Canadian) or are they relegated to the back (US). Probably has a catalog number like CAQ-31929....

My HK8+ was the cleanest player I had; there's a service issue if you have noise.

timbre4 said:
We can tell by the catalog number and the cartridge/label design. Are the songs listed on the "front" of the tape below the album cover artwork (Canadian) or are they relegated to the back (US). Probably has a catalog number like CAQ-31929....

My HK8+ was the cleanest player I had; there's a service issue if you have noise.

sounds like mine is a US tape. The song listing is on the back, and that is the catalog number of the tape.

ArmyOfQuad said:
Does the front sound mono to you in your conversion? I listened to it several times before I actually noticed. As far as things missing, it isn't anything blatantly obvious, and I didn't really notice at first since I don't have a stereo version of this title. I recently listened to an mp3 of pollution woman, and noticed a small vocal part missing, which when I listened closely to the quad tape, I could kinda hear ghosting of it. So I figure either one of the front channels got doubled and the other is missing, or it's just lazy mixing. Also, I made this notice on program 2 of the tape, I attempted a transfer which I never finished due to the hum noise on my crappy harmon kardon q8 deck, but I still have my backup of the recorded in audio, and I only pulled up program 2. I'll have to check 1 and see if that is also mono fronts. Might I be able to get a copy of your transfer for comparison purposes?

You got me wondering. So I just listened to my US Q8, and sure enough--all the songs on the second program have duo mono front channels. Strangely, this is also the case for one song on program 1: "Out in the Fields". Next, I listened to the SQ version through my Tate. Same results (incidentally,the SQ version even has a different song running order). Whether or not this is intentional is hard to say. The vocal placement on all front channel tracks, I believe are mono throughout, even on the tracks where there are discrete instruments to the front left and right. Might be what the engineer intended(?) :mad:@:

I was curious about the SQ version, I'm glad someone was able to report on that. I'm guessing this is another case of lazy quad remixing, another title to add to the list of bad quad mixes.

Back