What you did for love...of gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bktouchstone

QQ Supporter
This is for humorous stories of the extremes we go to for our gear. I'll start with "gear preservation" but you may have a great story about the same or maybe gear acquisition, lust, envy, etc. Feel free to share your stories of gear extremism!

Beginning about 2016, we moved from Denver, CO to to the Portland, OR area, and to reward me for my general amazingness, my spouse gave the green light to some Bowers and Wilkins CM10-S2 speakers. 4 of them and a matching center channel. Of course a new receiver was needed as well, and a new large screen flat panel TV for movies. Setting up my new man cave also involved getting plastic cable routers to hide the cable because it isn't only my man cave after all. In addition I custom made sound panels which involved some light woodworking as well as (yikes!) a trip to the fabric store where I found some cool Dr. Who and Star Trek themed fabric for the exterior of the panels. Because we weren't planning on moving for 5 or more years, I couldn't see keeping the boxes the speakers came in, so threw them out. Big mistake, as we were moving a year later to our new final destination, California, to escape the months and months of rain in Portland. We were drenched refugees by the time we arrived in the Bay Area.

To protect each speaker for the long distance move required a meticulous application of custom cut (by me) cardboard pieces and finally wrapping the whole speaker in wrapping plastic (like Saran Wrap) and then lovingly placing each speaker in a wardrobe box stuffed with about 10 bags of peanuts. It takes almost two hours per speaker to achieve this. A kiss for good luck and off we go! Unpacking them is a recycling nightmare. Peanuts and cardboard everywhere.

As it turns out California wasn't the final move either, and about a year and a half later we needed to make an interim move into two separate apartments to transition to our new final home, this time on the dry side of Oregon, near Bend. Same process with each move. But it turns out this last move wasn't the last either and our new final home is pretty close to where we started - in Colorado. However this time I have had enough, and bought new speaker boxes with the styrofoam inserts from Bowers and Wilkins which themselves cost about $700 including delivery. Yes, $700 for boxes I should never have thrown away to begin with. But now instead of 1.5-2 hours per speaker, it will take about 15 minutes. And they will be safer. We will make this move in about a month. Because I have invested in the convenient boxes, we will likely never move again. Fingers crossed - I am sick of moving.

Well, my story will be short...and maybe not so unusual. When my stereo equipment was in a different room (family room to be exact), I had all my stuff set up so that the sweet spot could be realized fully, with no obstacles, etc. I had gone to Chile for a business trip, and when I came home, my wife had moved "her" furniture around and as a result, she had a lamp placed in a manner that it was blocking the sound (so to speak) from my right front speaker. Which, obviously, compromised the sweet spot.

Well, it took a few glasses of wine (or beer) for me to sort of suggest that the lamp might be blocking my speaker. Needless to say, my wife moved her lamp (cause she's freaking awesome!!) and to this day, my wife loves to tell the story of the rogue lamp to all who will listen.

Well, my story will be short...and maybe not so unusual. When my stereo equipment was in a different room (family room to be exact), I had all my stuff set up so that the sweet spot could be realized fully, with no obstacles, etc. I had gone to Chile for a business trip, and when I came home, my wife had moved "her" furniture around and as a result, she had a lamp placed in a manner that it was blocking the sound (so to speak) from my right front speaker. Which, obviously, compromised the sweet spot.

Well, it took a few glasses of wine (or beer) for me to sort of suggest that the lamp might be blocking my speaker. Needless to say, my wife moved her lamp (cause she's freaking awesome!!) and to this day, my wife loves to tell the story of the rogue lamp to all who will listen.
I had the same problem with a lamp, not a wife.

OK, maybe another funny story.

Back when I was in high school (just got my drivers license).....my dad would let me drive his truck to school. It was like a 1974 Ford F-150 or something like that.

Even at 16, I was an audio freak wannabe. No money, but loved music and loved to look in magazines about audio gear that I could not afford.

Anyway, I remember in our school gymnasium, there was one of those single loud speakers (horn type thing) handing above the stage, and it was pretty loud actually. They had taken down the speaker to get a better set of speakers....and I found the speaker in the school dumpster. Of course, from the bleachers, the speaker didn't look very big at all. But once I dumpster dove it to safety, if was actually quite big. You know where this is going... don't you.

That speaker ended up in my dad's truck, and I would point it out the back sliding window and blare whatever was playing on my Craig underdash 8-track player. Yes!!! Hi-Fi!!

Oh don't get me started- YOL, (Yell, Yodel?) Mrs. Pupster considers speakers in the same category as "Appliances-as in unseen is best!" 😣
I've actually considered moving, just to look for another house with a "Man Cave- Surround Specific" room.

This is for humorous stories of the extremes we go to for our gear. I'll start with "gear preservation" but you may have a great story about the same or maybe gear acquisition, lust, envy, etc. Feel free to share your stories of gear extremism!

Beginning about 2016, we moved from Denver, CO to to the Portland, OR area, and to reward me for my general amazingness, my spouse gave the green light to some Bowers and Wilkins CM10-S2 speakers. 4 of them and a matching center channel. Of course a new receiver was needed as well, and a new large screen flat panel TV for movies. Setting up my new man cave also involved getting plastic cable routers to hide the cable because it isn't only my man cave after all. In addition I custom made sound panels which involved some light woodworking as well as (yikes!) a trip to the fabric store where I found some cool Dr. Who and Star Trek themed fabric for the exterior of the panels. Because we weren't planning on moving for 5 or more years, I couldn't see keeping the boxes the speakers came in, so threw them out. Big mistake, as we were moving a year later to our new final destination, California, to escape the months and months of rain in Portland. We were drenched refugees by the time we arrived in the Bay Area.

To protect each speaker for the long distance move required a meticulous application of custom cut (by me) cardboard pieces and finally wrapping the whole speaker in wrapping plastic (like Saran Wrap) and then lovingly placing each speaker in a wardrobe box stuffed with about 10 bags of peanuts. It takes almost two hours per speaker to achieve this. A kiss for good luck and off we go! Unpacking them is a recycling nightmare. Peanuts and cardboard everywhere.

As it turns out California wasn't the final move either, and about a year and a half later we needed to make an interim move into two separate apartments to transition to our new final home, this time on the dry side of Oregon, near Bend. Same process with each move. But it turns out this last move wasn't the last either and our new final home is pretty close to where we started - in Colorado. However this time I have had enough, and bought new speaker boxes with the styrofoam inserts from Bowers and Wilkins which themselves cost about $700 including delivery. Yes, $700 for boxes I should never have thrown away to begin with. But now instead of 1.5-2 hours per speaker, it will take about 15 minutes. And they will be safer. We will make this move in about a month. Because I have invested in the convenient boxes, we will likely never move again. Fingers crossed - I am sick of moving.
Right, I'm definitely keeping my latest speaker boxes. The SVS Ultra Towers weigh a ton and are huge so up in the roof (i.e., "attic") they go.

When I graduated college and moved to Cincinnati for my first job, I arrived with about 80 albums and no sound system. I was payed once a month, so I patiently waited for my first paycheck. When it finally arrived, I immediately hit my local hifi shop and purchased a Sansui receiver, a Sanyo turntable, and a pair of JBL speakers. I had to pinch pennies to survive that next month and did without pretty much everything, but I was happier than a pig in shit!

Right, I'm definitely keeping my latest speaker boxes. The SVS Ultra Towers weigh a ton and are huge so up in the roof (i.e., "attic") they go.
I hadn't heard of your speakers so looked them up and you are right at about 80 lbs they are beefy for sure. If I ever bought speakers that heavy, even with boxes, I would want some sort of signed contract from my spouse that we would never move again. ;)

When I graduated college and moved to Cincinnati for my first job, I arrived with about 80 albums and no sound system. I was payed once a month, so I patiently waited for my first paycheck. When it finally arrived, I immediately hit my local hifi shop and purchased a Sansui receiver, a Sanyo turntable, and a pair of JBL speakers. I had to pinch pennies to survive that next month and did without pretty much everything, but I was happier than a pig in shit!
A month of Top Ramen for a Sound System seems like a fair sacrifice! I forget what a pain it was to move vinyl albums around - they are heavy too!

Mob
A month of Top Ramen for a Sound System seems like a fair sacrifice! I forget what a pain it was to move vinyl albums around - they are heavy too!
Moving day with a big record collection is when you find out who your friends are! I once moved and a friend got frostbite on his lower back when unloading my crates in December pretending to be Mr. Phil McCracken.

Probably should have called Ben Dover....
Yes, as I have aged, I have developed "Plumbers' Butt" too so I can really feel his pain now! Thankfully he didn't complain when helping me though. He took the truck unloading and me and two more good friends did the grunting up the 3 flights of stairs to my walk up apartment! When I left that apartment I gave 2/3rds of it away so I didn't have to haul it again. The local thrift store got over 800 LPs that weekend!

Yes, as I have aged, I have developed "Plumbers' Butt" too so I can really feel his pain now! Thankfully he didn't complain when helping me though. He took the truck unloading and me and two more good friends did the grunting up the 3 flights of stairs to my walk up apartment! When I left that apartment I gave 2/3rds of it away so I didn't have to haul it again. The local thrift store got over 800 LPs that weekend!
Although I haven’t purchased any new vinyl in almost 30 years, I’ve kept all of my LPs with me through all my moves. Those original 80 grew to a sizable 1500 over time.

Dammit, fat finger miscue y’all - I meant to type 1150, not 1500 :mad:!
:LOL: I suffer from phat phinger syndrome too! Especially on my "smart" phone. My last move left over 20,000 discs behind as I could not afford the move. That included about 5,000 shellac discs and 3,000 7" discs. I miss them but not the hassle of moving or storing them. I have a largish collection now but more manageable at 3,00 ish LPs.

Uh, still! A big number

The records or the "digit"?

:LOL: I suffer from phat phinger syndrome too! Especially on my "smart" phone. My last move left over 20,000 discs behind as I could not afford the move. That included about 5,000 shellac discs and 3,000 7" discs. I miss them but not the hassle of moving or storing them. I have a largish collection now but more manageable at 3,00 ish LPs.
😲 WOW!!!

Back