What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr AIX has got a survey up right now to test your listening prowess. See the details here.

thanks for that! 👍
possibly not the best time to do it right now (its Tanqueray o'clock chez moi) but still.. 😇

edit: just regarding the bit you omitted to mention, fwiw I don't view CD as lossy (and so inferior) to HD audio, whereas DD & DTS are lossy compared to lossless BD-A/DVD-A/SACD and so I feel maybe there's greater potential for something to sound different in the latter comparison than CD vs Hi-Res. maybe. 😊

Last edited:
REALLY wonder what Steve Wilson would do for Layla? I only have the hybrid SACD and have always been 'somewhat' satisfied with it. I WAS turned off by the DTS option on the boxset [and the inclusion of VINYL] as I always feel Elliot Scheiner's remixes should ALWAYS be hi res!

An unlikely gift from UMG would be to someday release a stand alone BD~A [or equivalent] of LAYLA* honoring Elliot Scheiner's remix IN ALL ITS GLORY!:SG

Until then, hoping Clint enjoys his newest acquisition.:)

*IMO, it was EXCLUSIONS like Layla in 5.1 which doomed Universal's PURE BLU~RAY AUDIO Launch!

Ralphie...you buy CDs but pass up an ES Mixed DVD...oh boy:whistle:

Dr AIX has got a survey up right now to test your listening prowess. See the details here.

Forgot to mention, once you get to the FTP site, the file you want is "_Hi-Res_vs_Redbook CD Survey June 2018"

BTW, IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS, Dr. AIX hates, despises DSD. He's always been a [PCM] DVD~Audio MAN!

The important element, Adam, is NOT what your 'untrained' friend's think [in a so called blind experiment] but what YOU and I think. In the last few months I've actually heard some VERY credible Dolby Digital 5.1 remixes to stunning effect but still secretly pine for them in FULL kilobuck HI RES.

As a VIDEO freak......I welcomed the transition from DVD to BD~V and now from BD~V to NATIVE 4K....the REAL DEAL! Yeah, the majors are still trying to fool us with UPSCALED 4K videos but I'm ON TO THEM.

Whenever possible, ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES. LOCK 'n LOAD:love:
LOCK AND LOAD huh...never figured you would buy this one

Ralphie...you buy CDs but pass up an ES Mixed DVD...oh boy:whistle:

Because RBCDs are readily available and contain music which will [most probably] never be released in other formats [save for pricey downloads in questionable resolutions]. Besides [and I know NOBODY wants to hear THIS], My TREATED, DAMPERED, DEMAGNETIZED Layla SACD sounds rather exquisite ON MY SYSTEM! You'd be SHOCKED!o_O

LOCK AND LOAD huh...never figured you would buy this one

HA! Clint.......You know very well I sprung for the less locked and not so loaded edition from ImportCD for $114! No need for the fancy custom wooden case with all those 'sock' drawers! For that, I'll go to IKEA!:eek:mainly for their delightful Swedish Meatballs!

Last edited:
The important element, Adam, is NOT what your 'untrained' friend's think [in a so called blind experiment] but what YOU and I think. In the last few months I've actually heard some VERY credible Dolby Digital 5.1 remixes to stunning effect but still secretly pine for them in FULL kilobuck HI RES.

As a VIDEO freak......I welcomed the transition from DVD to BD~V and now from BD~V to NATIVE 4K. Yeah, the majors are still trying to fool us with UPSCALED 4K videos but I'm ON TO THEM.

Whenever possible, ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES. LOCK 'n LOAD:love:

well who doesn't secretly crave an upgrade.. i mean, i had a big mac after a rather well-lubricated night in the pub last night and blow me down if i didn't really wish i'd taken up my mate Martin's suggestion of a juicy steak in Balans instead, as i chomped on the processed patties and various other bits of hastily thrown together stuff, some of which embarrassingly ended up on the table/floor (oh how hand/eye coordination diminishes after a few bevvies..) I can't lie I was thinking "i wish this sad excuse for a burger would turn into a fillet!) but would it have made any difference, especially in that situation? hmm.. kinda doubtful.. maybe a fast food 5.1 burger's good enough for me over a Hi-res haute cuisine morsel. have i got golden ears? no. have i got an audiophile system? no. ohh.. fudge it, all this talk of meat.. now i'm peckish! 😋

ohh.. i can't tell the difference between BD-Video and DVD-Video, its this bloody blindfold I'm wearing for the blind A/B listening test! one moment and I'll get the gimp to remove it. 😊

well who doesn't secretly crave an upgrade.. i mean, i had a big mac after a rather well-lubricated night in the pub last night and blow me down if i didn't really wish i'd taken up my mate Martin's suggestion of a juicy steak in Balans instead, as i chomped on the processed patties and various other bits of hastily thrown together stuff, some of which embarrassingly ended up on the table/floor (oh how hand/eye coordination diminishes after a few bevvies..) I can't lie I was thinking "i wish this sad excuse for a burger would turn into a fillet!) but would it have made any difference, especially in that situation? hmm.. kinda doubtful.. maybe a fast food 5.1 burger's good enough for me over a Hi-res haute cuisine morsel. have i got golden ears? no. have i got an audiophile system? no. ohh.. fudge it, all this talk of meat.. now i'm peckish! 😋

ohh.. i can't tell the difference between BD-Video and DVD-Video, its this bloody blindfold I'm wearing for the blind A/B listening test! one moment and I'll get the gimp to remove it. 😊

IMO, Adam, you should have smoked a BIG FAT DOOBIE [NOT brother] and gone to the Steak House for a juicy, expensive Black Angus filet mignon with melted gorgonzola cheese on top instead of opting for a Dolby Digital 5.1 processed cow manure overcooked patty on a ten day old heated bun!:eek:BARF!

Last edited:
Because RBCDs are readily available and contain music which will [most probably] never be released in other formats [save for pricey downloads in questionable resolutions]. Besides [and I know NOBODY wants to hear THIS], My TREATED, DAMPERED, DEMAGNETIZED Layla SACD sounds rather exquisite ON MY SYSTEM! You'd be SHOCKED!o_O

Yes but Ralphie....you could you use your magic oil on the DVDs too...just saying:geek:

Yes but Ralphie....you could you use your magic oil on the DVDs too...just saying:geek:

I do, and 'usually' with GREAT success but MORE VINYL and RBCDs which I'll never play. As least I do play my individually acquired RBCDs and I thought YOU were the one who is running out of space and trying to cut down 'on the clutter.'* Truthfully, my fine sounding Layla LOSSLESS multichannel SACD will suffice for now.

I do look forward to Appetite for Destruction as it DOES contain a LOSSLESS ES 5.1 remix and NO vinyl....which is sold SEPARATELY.....as it should be!

* I know.........nag, nag, NAG! I sound like a 'desperate housewife!' And we all know Clinty's 'dust mites' crave the companionship of their polycarbonate/vinyl compatriots!:QQlove

Last edited:
I do, and 'usually' with GREAT success but MORE VINYL and RBCDs which I'll never play. As least I do play my individually acquired RBCDs and I thought YOU were the one who is running out of space and trying to cut down 'on the clutter.'* Truthfully, my fine sounding Layla LOSSLESS multichannel SACD will suffice for now.

I do look forward to Appetite for Destruction as it DOES contain a LOSSLESS ES 5.1 remix and NO vinyl....which is sold SEPARATELY.....as it should be!

* I know.........nag, nag, NAG! I sound like a 'desperate housewife!' And we all know Clinty's 'dust mites' crave the companionship of their polycarbonate/vinyl compatriots!:QQlove
I'm in the process now of going to an external drive...but it's going to take awhile...and I wouldn't be buying more of these CD sets if you didn't keep finding them for me:D

I'm in the process now of going to an external drive...but it's going to take awhile...and I wouldn't be buying more of these CD sets if you didn't keep finding them for me:D

Well, at least those 4 RBCD sets for a few bucks don't take up box sized space. And they do contain USEFUL music unlike those endless RBCD outtakes, cutting room floor excesses which infiltrate those pricey box sets. That 10 RBCD Blue Note Set which DID contain 21 albums was indeed a coup and when you do set up your external hard drive, you can put them all for sale on eBay.* I do load most of my RBCDs onto my Meridian SooLoos but just be aware, none of these devices are foolproof or a guarantee the music will be there in 5 or 10 years.........but then NONE of us are guaranteed anything.....in life. Enjoy it while you [we] can!

*But I do think it wise to retain those RBCDs which you CHERISH....just in case!

Last edited:
Well, at least those 4 RBCD sets for a few bucks don't take up box sized space. And they do contain USEFUL music unlike those endless RBCD outtakes, cutting room floor excesses which infiltrate those pricey box sets. That 10 RBCD Blue Note Set which DID contain 21 albums was indeed a coup and when you do set up your external hard drive, you can put them all for sale on eBay.* I do load most of my RBCDs onto my Meridian SooLoos but just be aware, none of these devices are foolproof or a
Well, at least those 4 RBCD sets for a few bucks don't take up box sized space. And they do contain USEFUL music unlike those endless RBCD outtakes, cutting room floor excesses which infiltrate those pricey box sets. That 10 RBCD Blue Note Set which DID contain 21 albums was indeed a coup and when you do set up your external hard drive, you can put them all for sale on eBay.* I do load most of my RBCDs onto my Meridian SooLoos but just be aware, none of these devices are foolproof or a guarantee the music will be there in 5 or 10 years.........but then NONE of us are guaranteed anything.....in life. Enjoy it while you [we] can!

*But I do think it wise to retain those RBCDs which you CHERISH....just in case!

........but then NONE of us are guaranteed anything.....in life. Enjoy it while you [we] can!

Ralphie...there is no guarantee I'll be here in 5 or 10 years....just saying....I hate all those outtakes and versions of the same songs over and over...BUT...it's the price you have to pay to get the prize(the surround mix)...

Here are some CD's for you...FREE SHIPPING TOO HERE

Thanks to a custody agreement worked out with leevitalone, these three brilliant discs have migrated across the continent, from upstate New York to upstate California, where they will spend their peaceful retirement:

IMG_20180616_124606201.jpg

So glad to have retail copies of these at last--after making do with (am I allowed to utter these words, even sotto voce?) bootleg DVD-Rs for the past few years. Especially great to have Fagen's witty liner notes for The Nightfly.

Here are some CD's for you...FREE SHIPPING TOO HERE

Thanks, but No thanks, Clinty. The price is certainly ridiculously cheap but a random batch of 100 CDs of unknown origin hardly floats my boat. (n) I have enough useless polycarbonate coasters in my collection!

And YOU WILL BE HERE in 5~10 years because QQ would NEVER be quite the same, without you!:SB:LB:hi:SG:dance:QQlove:51QQ

Last edited:
Thanks to a custody agreement worked out with leevitalone, these three brilliant discs have migrated across the continent, from upstate New York to upstate California, where they will spend their peaceful retirement:

View attachment 33283

So glad to have retail copies of these at last--after making do with (am I allowed to utter these words, even sotto voce?) bootleg DVD-Rs for the past few years. Especially great to have Fagen's witty liner notes for The Nightfly.

I don't think Nightfly gets nearly enough credit...it belongs up there with the best of the best...it's the best surround title that nobody ever talks about(y)

I don't think Nightfly gets nearly enough credit...it belongs up there with the best of the best...it's the best surround title that nobody ever talks about(y)

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH and it was an early DDD recording but shines ever so brightly MOST especially in SURROUND! A BRILLIANT Elliot Scheiner remix! An 11.

I have BOTH the MLP DVD~A and the Imported Japanese multichannel SACD.:LB

Last edited:
Got my D-V haul THIS WEEK...(I just need a receiver and 5 speakers to enjoy them!...but , it's a beginning.. ;) )
Rick Derringer, The Guess Who, Hues Corporation, Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Stravinski's "Petrouska", Kostelanetz's "Villa-Lobos" and Ray Conniff's "Laughter in the rain".. I must say great value for the contents.. the only letdown was that we don't get the LP's full artwork nor lyrics...

Back