What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us know what you think 🤔 of this one Freddie; I’ve never opened mine:whistle: Always read it was either mono or double stereo, save me oh Freddie-Wan from being the guinea pup again🤭

well i had a brief gander at the 6-ch waveforms for about 8-10 of the compilation's 31 tracks (some from the first 18 or however many songs it was said to be mixed from multitracks, the rest were those "mixed" from mono) and tbh they were pretty much a load of bollocks.

ok, i'm being a bit harsh.. there were some cool things going on in the Rears on several tracks.. but too often the Centre channel was silent or virtually so (at least once or twice we could've maybe had The King - that voice - isolated hard in the Centre!?) and the Fronts were overloud and had way too much going on in them. i'll have a further play around with it all sometime but tbh i'm not encouraged by what i heard, in "5"-"6" territory.

Let us know what you think 🤔 of this one Freddie; I’ve never opened mine:whistle: Always read it was either mono or double stereo, save me oh Freddie-Wan from being the guinea pup again🤭

oh fudge... i already rated it (and therefore already owned it.. :rolleyes:

------------------------------------------

0AB252C8-E279-46F3-B3C8-426744BE7E21.jpeg

-------------------------------------------

..and having given it a "6" on QQ 7 years ago, at least you can't say i'm not consistent in rating and hating..!!! :ROFLMAO:

well i had a brief gander at the 6-ch waveforms for about 8-10 of the compilation's 31 tracks (some from the first 18 or however many songs it was said to be mixed from multitracks, the rest were those "mixed" from mono) and tbh they were pretty much a load of bollocks.

ok, i'm being a bit harsh.. there were some cool things going on in the Rears on several tracks.. but too often the Centre channel was silent or virtually so (at least once or twice we could've maybe had The King - that voice - isolated hard in the Centre!?) and the Fronts were overloud and had way too much going on in them. i'll have a further play around with it all sometime but tbh i'm not encouraged by what i heard, in "5"-"6" territory.
Well how ‘bout all those Elvis Quads from back in the day, you got those?

This is just from memory (there may still be a news article out there somewhere) because I don't own the disc, but I believe for all the early mono and stereo tracks on that Elvis #1s disc they played the original tapes back in the studio and used mics to pick up the reverb/ambient sound in the room, and then created 5.1 mixes using the original tracks + this captured sound. I think this is why they sequenced the disc in reverse chronological order (a weird choice IMO), to basically front-load the album with all the later material that was actually remixed from the multitracks. Having said that it wouldn't surprise me if the real 5.1 mixes are tame so that they don't sound entirely different from the upmixed mono and stereo tracks.

oh fudge... i already rated it (and therefore already owned it.. :rolleyes:

------------------------------------------

View attachment 41441

-------------------------------------------

..and having given it a "6" on QQ 7 years ago, at least you can't say i'm not consistent in rating and hating..!!! :ROFLMAO:
Probably where I got my opinion from :LOL:

This is just from memory (there may still be a news article out there somewhere) because I don't own the disc, but I believe for all the early mono and stereo tracks on that Elvis #1s disc they played the original tapes back in the studio and used mics to pick up the reverb/ambient sound in the room, and then created 5.1 mixes using the original tracks + this captured sound. I think this is why they sequenced the disc in reverse chronological order (a weird choice IMO), to basically front-load the album with all the later material that was actually remixed from the multitracks. Having said that it wouldn't surprise me if the real 5.1 mixes are tame so that they don't sound entirely different from the upmixed mono and stereo tracks.
Yup, and that my friends is why I never bothered to open mine- as usual you da man steelydave 🤩

oh! hello Dave :hi
well.. idk what they did with Elvis by 5.1-ising him.. but i now know "whodunnit"!
turns out it was that Ray Bardani chappy who did the Cassandra Wilson 5.1.. hmm.. hmm.. 🤔 🧐 etc.:LOL:

Yup, and that my friends is why I never bothered to open mine- as usual you da man steelydave 🤩

bah staleydeev gets all his worst ideas from me! ;)
basically i bought all this crap, hated it first time round and am now so bored out of my numskull waiting for the next DV batch of greatness i'm buying the same old forgettable shit all over again! time to hand in my badge...🤷‍♂️

bah staleydeev gets all his worst ideas from me! ;)
basically i bought all this crap, hated it first time round and am now so bored out of my numskull waiting for the next DV batch of greatness i'm buying the same old forgettable shit all over again! time to hand in my badge...🤷‍♂️

Badges, Badges, you ain't gotta show us no stinkin' Badges!!! BTW, don't we need a studio surround version of E.C. s Badge?

here's the article;

https://www.lightsoundjournal.com/2003/02/22/soundfield-masters-elvis/

Back