What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea what to listen to first…

IMG_3292.jpeg

what an array of beauties 🥰

Earth, Wind & Fire gets my vote! 🌎🌬️🔥🙋🏻‍♀️
Holy smokes the Earth, Wind & Fire knocked my socks off!!!!!!!! Definitely one of those mixes where you think to yourself, there’s nothing I would change about this.

Never heard these albums in stereo or otherwise, liking the music as well!!!

Holy smokes the Earth, Wind & Fire knocked my socks off!!!!!!!! Definitely one of those mixes where you think to yourself, there’s nothing I would change about this.

Never heard these albums in stereo or otherwise, liking the music as well!!!
yeaaaaaayyyyy!!!! 🥳💘
i'm so happy to hear you loved it!! 🤩
which one will you try out next? 🙏😋

My DV order just came a day late
The Ojays Isley Brothers and Ted Nugent
Ted came with a crack across the case so California continues to follow Gos's law.

Got the quad of quadios a couple of days ago.

Today the Atmos of DSOTM showed up with an intriguing Scandanavian classical “In the Light of Air” composed by Anna Thorvaldsdottir and performed by Ice. Gotta hear that one tonight.

The Thorvaldsdottir was, shall we say, unusual. ICE is a small classical combo, so the instruments were normal, but that’s as far as normal goes on that piece. Classical bowed string instruments don’t have frets, so they aren’t limited to playing the 12 notes we get in an octave, and this piece certainly didn’t try to fit on a standard scale. Lots of glissando at varying speeds, and almost every bowed “note” was a chord, and none of it fit what any of us would find familiar.

My wife walked in the room and said “That’s horrible.” It might take some getting used to, but I definitely didn’t feel it was horrible at all. If you like Toru Takemitsu, this might not seem like all that much of a stretch. It’s foreign, to be sure, but in the right time and place, it could be just right.

This will get more plays.

The Thorvaldsdottir was, shall we say, unusual. ICE is a small classical combo, so the instruments were normal, but that’s as far as normal goes on that piece. Classical bowed string instruments don’t have frets, so they aren’t limited to playing the 12 notes we get in an octave, and this piece certainly didn’t try to fit on a standard scale. Lots of glissando at varying speeds, and almost every bowed “note” was a chord, and none of it fit what any of us would find familiar.

My wife walked in the room and said “That’s horrible.” It might take some getting used to, but I definitely didn’t feel it was horrible at all. If you like Toru Takemitsu, this might not seem like all that much of a stretch. It’s foreign, to be sure, but in the right time and place, it could be just right.

This will get more plays.
Glad to hear about another Thorvaldsdottir fan! You may have discovered already that Sono Luminus has recorded lots of her work.

Last edited:
The three quad releases of Santana, Abraxas and III are excellent I hope Columbia keeps up this trend. I would love to know if there is a list of all the albums in the 70s that were released in quad. They could make a lot of money.

The three quad releases of Santana, Abraxas and III are excellent I hope Columbia keeps up this trend. I would love to know if there is a list of all the albums in the 70s that were released in quad. They could make a lot of money.
You left out Caravanserai. Also, you should check out Mark Anderson’s list of quads on this site. I’m on my phone so I can’t post the link but I’m sure that somebody will.

Back