What's your "perfect pop album" ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I am a huge Toto fan as well (as were Jellyfish in their formative years).

Well......we're just under 4 weeks away from solo releases from Steve Lukather & Joseph Williams, on the same day. ( Feb 26th. ) What a mega music day that will be !!

Yes, can see the influences....

Me either bro.

Emmit Rhodes put out a few on Dunhill and one on A&M back in the early 70’s as well as one fronting The Merry Go Round in the late 60’s, a fair bit of Beatles influence but a solid songwriter and a great singer. His Merry Go Round songs were covered to much greater visibility when early Fairport Convention covered “Time Will Show The Wiser” and The Bangles covered “Live” on their more jangly first album, “All Over The Place”. He also had a song placed in The Royal Tennanbaums called “Lullabye”. Good records all, I didn’t personally care for his 2016 (or thereabouts) comeback album but the originals have had a wide influence on power pop and baroque pop artists. He’s likely all over YouTube.

He got himself in a predicament and signed one of those ridiculous American recording contracts of the era, like Badfinger, Three Dog Night and other pop artists, basically he was in breach if he didn’t deliver two full “release ready” albums every year. Since he recorded everything at home, and quite meticulously, he breached the contract, got sued and left music for 40+ years.

Oh yes, both Jellyfish albums, two of the best ever produced. ( & Roger Joseph Manning Jnr. solo stuff is just as good. )

Also, The Grays album on (I think) Epic, “Ro Sham Bo”, not promoted and not around for long but a wonderful pop album from the league of guitarists and great songwriters from Jellyfish who were never allowed to write songs for Jellyfish records. The duo of Jon Brion and Jason Faulkner.

Any of The Monkees Rhino Handmade Box Sets does it for me...bubble gum music or not
AA31D839-0A41-4D90-AB75-9CEDBE42C230.jpeg

I am more of a "Time" instead of an OOTB fan; to me , the latter drags on for a bit too long..."Time" is concise and to the point...
R-9370339-1479523754-6172.jpeg.jpg

I LOVE me some Al Green! He had quite a run of stellar albums in the early to mid 70s, and i would say Gets Next to You, Let's Stay Together, I'm Still in Love With You, and Call Me are damn near perfect pop masterpieces. If i had to choose one . . .
1612229698255.png

a beautiful blending of the secular and the sacred--truly transcendent!

Last edited:
I LOVE me some Al Green! He had quite a run of stellar albums in the early to mid 70s, and i would say Gets Next to You, Let's Stay Together, I'm Still in Love With You, and Call Me are damn near perfect pop masterpieces. If i had to choose one . . .

And some amazing quad mixes on some of his Hi Records releases (seemingly all reel and 8-track editions). I have not heard the multichannel best of DVD, but want to find a copy someday.

The Bears, Car Caught Fire

I never heard The Bears album after the two on IRS/Primitive Man Records but I will seek that one and more out. I did have an unbelievable honor with The Bears while touring with a band from the Bay Area. We landed in Champaign and had a day off so Adrian invited us all to go hang out and watch The Bears rehearse as they prepared their first album. They played us “Raining”, which blew us all away, such a wonderful group of guys.

Back