Why isn't surround sound more popular with Audiophiles?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, that's perfect form "audiophile" there! One of the tropes of the "audiophile" is to be adamant that HD sample rates are about preserving data above the range of hearing. THAT is where their sound comes from! (But only if you're also using ceramic speaker wire stands.)

Mention to them that their speakers don't reproduce any of those frequencies (not even covering the full range of hearing up to 20k) and see what they say next! :D

As jimfisheye says there is a lot of BS out there about the use of higher sampling rates. When you sample you are actually frequency mixing (multiplying together) your analogue signal with the sampling signal. The reason for oversampling is to (a) simplify the low pass filter required, the roll-off doesn't have to be so harsh, and the filter order so high (requires good/expensive components), (b) it spreads the sampling quantisation noise over a larger bandwidth, and (c) 'magically' does allow for the resolution to be increased after by decimation (which is 'largely' how/why DSD works, though with noise shaping - DSD is the most digital of all the methods). Bit depth gives you increased dynamic range and resolution.

Today in 2021, I believe that if you have any kind of audio system that is not a function of a cell phone, iPod (remember those?), or a device that you "ask" to play a song and it plays through the same device that will also give you news and weather, then you are an audiophile.

Think about it.
OK Jon, Going where the orange sun has never died, I am an audiophile.
TORONTO AUDIOPHILE 2 | Five Amazing High End Audio Products For The Discerning Ear

Red alert! :LOL: Fancy Colours by Chicago playing! A on red next. (crazy audiophile, agree)
Are-Audio.jpg

Yeah well, speakers may not be able to reproduce those super sonic frequencies but they FEEL them and pass those feelings onto the listener.

Doug

Of course.

But for that to work, they have to be covered by an alloy of titanium, aluminium and platinum, which, at room temperature, has been found to emit photon-platinum radiation, which is a type of energy that contributes to the mental relaxation, due to the biological reactions induced in our corporal ionic fluids.
That was discovered after several years of work of the Japanese researcher Dr. Komuro.

I'm not joking. You can find all this information in internet.

I still use a VHS HiFi VCR daily, the HiFi is good enough to work with Dolby Surround (encoded TV shows from OTA digital TV). :)

The Rad VCR is a Funai VCR/DVD recorder, I'm now considering buying it.

In the early 1980s, there were some articles in the monthly Audio related mags about an easy way to decode DS w/DynaQuad, too bad this idea wasn't promoted more, it could have (re)introduced Surround Sound to the general public via movies.

Kirk Bayne

Paul McGowan is no dummy, but I disagree with many of his points. Sure, surround sound is more expensive and takes a different setup than stereo (which can be with earbuds and a phone these days), but there's little doubt that it's a niche market - one that I'm fully a member of (although there are plenty of people who are far and away more involved than I am). I have purchased some gear from his company, and the "Copper" on-line magazine is usually full of interesting articles, mostly about music, including surround.

I don't know if I fit anyone's definition of "audiophile," and I don't really care if you or my neighbor considers me one. From the time my dad built a hi-fi in the early 1960s, though, I've loved being in the middle of the music. I adopted quad (at least SQ) when it first came out in the early 1970s, and have always bought what I consider to be good equipment. I'm not one of those with more bucks than brains, so those $1,000 power cables won't find their way into my system - ever. I'm in the process of building a home theater (I doubt if the process will ever be done, although I have some definite goals) where the emphasis is far more on the sound than the picture. I have 5.1 right now with Emotiva Pro Stealth 8 studio monitors across the front (but at this point I'm severely disappointed in their product support). I have installed ceiling speakers for eventual Atmos, and I have a decent collection of surround music discs and downloads. My avatar shows my vinyl collection, with a hundred or so quad LPs (and one EP).

So the real reason so few people are into surround music is that it's simply not all that appealing to the vast majority of people who listen to music. Everyone gets to like what they like, and nobody needs an excuse for it.

I have 5.1 right now with Emotiva Pro Stealth 8 studio monitors across the front (but at this point I'm severely disappointed in their product support). I have installed ceiling speakers for eventual Atmos, and I have a decent collection of surround music discs and downloads.
Im an Emotiva fanboy, but I also had customer service issues. Not bad, but not necessary either. I like the gear though. What were your experiences? Do you have thier Atmos in ceiling speakers as well?

Back