Widex Moment hearing aids

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
while reading the latest Tape Op magazine , which, BTW , is really good and I think all of the QQers should subscribe to, I found out about these hearing aids on the Steve Lukather interview...

https://www.widex.com/en-us/hearing-aids/moment/
they are quite steep ($3-4K) but I guess you get what you pay for . He was describing that he has had tinnitus for more than 30 years and that these are a life saver. They are supposed to work with your tinnitus frequencies. He says his are 4K and 8K.. and I was always wondering why my mixes sounded wonky...I guess my tinnitus was interfering cause I remember I had quite the ear back in college and later, after a Living Colour concert in Madrid in 1991 which left me with my ears ringing for 3 days (and SINCE THEN) it has never been the same...

This public service announcement has been brought to you by the makers of SLUDGE (I just got the BluRays of the first Marx Bros Movies which are quite good except for Horse Feathers)...

kap'n you will forgive me if I am a little skeptical. There is nothing new nor revolutionary in hearing aids. Only incremental improvements.
Their advertising looks to me alot like audiophile "snake oil" lots of descriptive adverbs and adjectives.

The sad fact is that if you have nerve damage in your cochlea all the AI in the world isn't going to change that. It's a blockage that can't really be gotten around , short of a cochlear implant. Those keep getting better and better.

I have taken part in studies for cochlear implants at Washington University's Central Institute for the Deaf. They stuck me in a fMRI scanner with long tube earpieces leading to outside of the mri magnetic field. They then played things like backwards speech and the proverbial noisy party test and didn't even ask me to report what I had heard because they could watch my vestigial brain lighting up. They were looking to improve the software used in cochlear implants.

A good part about it was that they gave me a very thorough hearing exam before and I did pretty well (2015) I am looking for a repetition to see how I am holding up. As of then I was good on the right and a dip at 3K on the left.

Several family members of mine have had "old man hearing loss" and tried hearing aids and initially said they were great and then all stopped using them.
I think they do help some people but that was not the experience with my father , uncle and brother in law.
All that said, I would definitely try them if I needed them. But I would be ferociously cheap to start out and continue my skepticism until and unless someone could demonstrate something wonderful. I hope I never need them.

Last edited:
kap'n you will forgive me if I am a little skeptical. There is nothing new nor revolutionary in hearing aids. Only incremental improvements.
Their advertising looks to me alot like audiophile "snake oil" lots of descriptive adverbs and adjectives.

The sad fact is that if you have nerve damage in your cochlea all the AI in the world isn't going to change that. It's a blockage that can't really be gotten around , short of a cochlear implant. Those keep getting better and better.

I have taken part in studies for cochlear implants at Washington University's Central Institute for the Deaf. They stuck me in a fMRI scanner with long tube earpieces leading to outside of the mri magnetic field. They then played things like backwards speech and the proverbial noisy party test and didn't even ask me to report what I had heard because they could watch my vestigial brain lighting up. They were looking to improve the software used in cochlear implants.

A good part about it was that they gave me a very thorough hearing exam before and I did pretty well (2015) I am looking for a repetition to see how I am holding up. As of then I was good on the right and a dip at 3K on the left.

Several family members of mine have had "old man hearing loss" and tried hearing aids and initially said they were great and then all stopped using them.
I think they do help some people but that was not the experience with my father , uncle and brother in law.
All that said, I would definitely try them if I needed them. But I would be ferociously cheap to start out and continue my skepticism until and unless someone could demonstrate something wonderful. I hope I never need them.
Sorry to hear that...
I am not very hopeful either and am aware that it's basically our brain producing the noise..
Anyway, I thought that if Steve Lukather (and Brad Whitford) swear by them, there must be at least SOME help...and yes , the co$t is definitely up there and with no money back guarantee, at least none that I saw...if I had to make a livelihood out of my hearing I would definitely try them at least...but since I don't anymore, I do not have $3K lying around...

Beethoven was depicted using an ear trumpet. I did go to a lot of rock shows back in the day and even then worried about my hearing. Sometimes you would walk out with your ears ringing. I didn't like that.

The founder of Etymotic Research which make some well known IEMs was hearing impaired and wrote a lot of the book on hearing assistive devices.
I once sold, for a while some related equipment, and had the occasion to meet him. Circa 1991 or so. If you google Mead Killion you will run across all sorts of academic stuff. MeadShare | The Works of Mead Killion

Back