Would you be interested in Seals & Crofts Quadio's?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be interested in Seals & Crofts Quadio Discs?

• Total voters
I support this stuff getting released, but I'm not particularly interested, nor do I think there's much interest from the under-55 cohort generally.
Under 55 cohort...I wonder what demographic that represents of the surround sound community. I'll bet it's a large percentage.

Changing my train of thought... I bought many an SACD and DVD-A for $19 circa 2005 for just one song, so $20 per disc for the bundle isn't bad.

Diamond Girl came in quad first; it seemed good but I didn't bite right away. Summer Breeze I snapped up immediately; I became really fascinated with Say as an incredible piece of music by any measure. I bought Unborn Child and liked it, but I had tip-toed to the broke teenager end of the parking lot before I would've bought I'll Play For You. Sad day when I sold my Q8 tapes.

Last edited:
Well, the records are well produced, I mean look at the credits on the album, chock full of total pros with no expense spared. These will sound fine in quad. And I have no problem with purchasing the two main albums when they get reissued in quad.

However, I think much of the material has not aged that well. "Humming Bird don't fly away, fly away, dun, dun, dun, dun" does not compel me to hit replay. Summer Breeze was a fantasy that never came true for me either. I should say that the Diamond Girl album seems a bit more accomplished and enduring to me.

So I just hope we get some of the real stunners way before those two albums. Bette Midler, Randy Newman, Gord, ZZ. Jackson. Joni, America, Bread, Purple, MJQ, AWB, are all more urgent to me than S&C.

So yeah, let's have them, but not for the next 12 more Quadios.

Last edited:
As I go through the list of possible quads we might get, I’d be in more for S&C than just about anything else.

I’ve been thrilled with the Doobie Brothers, Chicago and, most recently, Black Sabbath. With FR’s tip that there are separate plans for Deep Purple (in some format) in the future, there’s not a ton left that feels realistic that I’m overly excited about.

Doesn’t mean I won’t order any others, just that there’s not much else I’m thinking, “Oh please oh please oh please...”.

If there was an S&C box (or the individual albums) I wouldn’t hesitate to order.

I wouldn’t recommend any more big boxes for Rhino. Just because there are a few titles by certain individual artists that happened to mixed to quad back in the day doesn’t mean there’s a big market for a boxed set. I’m more likely to buy the Carly Simon titles individually when it’s “what the hell. It’s 20 bucks” rather than shell out $70-80 all at once for a set of albums none of which I’m all that excited about.

And I bet Rhino understands this which is why they are now doing this “release 4 titles at a time” thing.

Just for the sake of posterity, if nothing else, I hope EVERY old quad mix sees a digital release. And I’ll buy as many as I can as long as it’s still just disposable income for me.

I support this stuff getting released, but I'm not particularly interested, nor do I think there's much interest from the under-55 cohort generally.
I firmly believe, ubertrout, that great music transcends generations and at the time these QUAD albums were recorded and mixed represents a very fertile time for rock pop and jazz music. And even though they may have been played to death on the radio or in our listening spaces, to hear them anew from the 15/30 ips masters on a state of the art format is at least for me a sensory experience.

And even the under 50 crowd can appreciate the craftsmanship of tunesmiths from another era who blended melody with clever lyrics, awesome hooks some of which are still sampled to this day and memorable riffs which have withstood the test of time!

That music is the universal language is no cliche! And RHINO/WEA are now reigniting, at least for me, a passion for the music I grew up with in the 70's unlike I never heard it before.

Bring It ON ..... all of it. And remember, we can all pick 'n choose our favorites. I want them ALL!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
This is just a question for me. FR has not asked me to do this. I was just wondering how Seals & Crofts stuff has fared over the years with the listening public.

Would you be interested in S&C Quadio's or would you rather see other titles come out first.

As for me, although I liked a few of their tunes back in the day, I don't think I would listen to them at all today
If they came out I would buy them however I will buy any titles that come out. I listen to 70s on 7 SiriusXM all the time and Summer Breeze and Diamond Girl are played pretty often. The Diamond Girl album is pretty good I think.

This is just a question for me. FR has not asked me to do this. I was just wondering how Seals & Crofts stuff has fared over the years with the listening public.

Would you be interested in S&C Quadio's or would you rather see other titles come out first.

As for me, although I liked a few of their tunes back in the day, I don't think I would listen to them at all today
I'd definitely be interested in S&C in Quadio.

Would love to see S&C Quadios!!

I have bought a bunch of music I never heard or not interested enough to buy, but if it’s released in multichannel, all of a sudden I’m interested and invariably find a nugget. My tastes have expanded thanks to these releases. Gimme my wimpy Seals and Crofts….they put on a good show in the day.

I firmly believe, ubertrout, that great music transcends generations and at the time these QUAD albums were recorded and mixed represents a very fertile time for rock pop and jazz music. And even though they may have been played to death on the radio or in our listening spaces, to hear them anew from the 15/30 ips masters on a state of the art format is at least for me a sensory experience.

And even the under 50 crowd can appreciate the craftsmanship of tunesmiths from another era who blended melody with clever lyrics, awesome hooks some of which are still sampled to this day and memorable riffs which have withstood the test of time!

That music is the universal language is no cliche! And RHINO/WEA are now reigniting, at least for me, a passion for the music I grew up with in the 70's unlike I never heard it before.

Bring It ON ..... all of it. And remember, we can all pick 'n choose our favorites. I want them ALL!!!!!!!!
I don't fully agree. I'm a pretty big fan of classical for instance, and the "Romantic Piano Concerto" series from Hyperion is fascinating (sadly, we only got one in multichannel - HRAudio.net - Scharwenka: Romantic Piano Concerto 38 - Hamelin/Stern). It's a pretty massive compilation of popular piano concerti from the 19th century that for one reason or another just didn't live on. They're well-crafted, interesting pieces, and deserve attention, but they capture the zeitgeist of their time a little too well and don't speak more broadly.

I feel the same way about a lot of 70s soft rock. It just seems too anchored in its specific time. Yes, Summer Breeze is a good song, but I can't recall ever seeking it out, let alone their deeper catalog. Maybe I'm wrong, and when in doubt my impulse is to release it, leavened only by a concern about diminished sales preventing us from getting other stuff which would sell better. But the question is whether I would be interested, and implicitly my feelings about commercial viability.

I have all of the seals and crofts on Q4's and luv em all. I would absolutely replace them with quadios. Diamond girl was the first Q4 I purchased and of course, I was blown away with it. There's not one song on Unborn Child I don't like. Remember, there's a limited number of original quads available and most are not available in the quality of the original 7/1/2 ips Q4 reel tape! WE NEED ALL OF THEM!!!

Last edited:
Back