Your first stereo/multichannel movie?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atrocity

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The recent discussion about "2001" got me nostalgic/curious about the old days of magnetic four-track 35mm and six-track 70mm.

I'll probably never know what the first movie I ever saw in stereo was, though it may have been the initial release of "Mary Poppins". I learned in hindsight that theaters I'd been to were equipped for magnetic stereo and/or 70mm, but when I was a kid that either wasn't promoted much in Sacramento or I just wasn't aware of it.

I kinda think I might have noticed stereo happening in "Hello Dolly!" circa 1970 (I know the theater was properly equipped) but the memory is very dim. What I do remember a few years later in the same theater was seeing "That's Entertainment" and suddenly having a voice come from the back of the theater saying something totally appropriate like "I'm back here!" (I haven't seen the movie since, I assume anyone more familiar with it knows what I'm talking about). That's definitely my first memory of a surround effect.

I can remember one revival showing of "2001" explicitly advertised as having four-track mag sound and I remember listening for it when I went to the show. In fact, that's probably the first time I knew exactly what I was going to hear before walking in. I don't have any further memories of advance notice of the audio format until "Tommy" came along with its very hyped ZacharyQuintophonic mix.

When "The Song Remains the Same" was new it was initially shown in 4-track at one of the local theaters. By the time I finally made it there, it had been moved into a mono auditorium and paired with a mono print of "Pink Floyd at Pompeii", which even as a huge fan I'd never managed to see before...probably because I wasn't yet a fan when it first came around.

Some time during my high school years Dolby Stereo was introduced and the move away from magnetic stereo to optical stereo began. There was a period where a very nice local theater would get second and third run features with low ticket prices. It had a great sound system but it had been in place since the 1960s and was only equipped for magnetic stereo...so the new stuff coming out with fancy Dolby tracks would run on a big, beautiful curved screen but only with mono sound. I've heard that even into the 1980s there were some bigger films printed with both optical Dolby and magnetic soundtracks, but I never encountered the magnetic versions.

This being the pre-video age, occasionally the older theaters would revive a magnetic title, so I was finally able to see both the Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd films in four-track. I can also remember "Tommy" getting a midnight showing, though I can't imagine it was anything other than standard LCRS. Also got to see "Yessongs" a few times in multichannel, though apparently that had a genuine quad mix that didn't work too well with the standard three-in-front + mono surround layout.

Enough rambling. Just curious how many others were more aware of this stuff as kids than I was. I kinda feel like I really missed out on something I probably would have enjoyed.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1 [L]

Last edited:
"Apocalypse Now", in a nearly empty Cinerama theater. Ride of the Valkyries, indeed!

Ahhhh...this brings back the memories..I didn't go to the movies much and don't remember any" blown away" Hi-Fi movie experiences, but I'll never forget hearing my first stereo movie and being totally "blown away". I was with my brother in a Radio Shack. The salesman put a tape in a Beta Hi Fi VCR which was hooked up to one of their big hi-fi systems. We heard excerpts from Dragonslayer and Star Trek- Wrath of Khan. WOW, but dang, those Beta Hi Fi VCR'S were expensive (along with the movies). By the way I have 3 superbeta VCRS right now and recorded several Star Trek original TV series blue rays on beta tape. The quality of the recordings is impressive. It takes me back to a simpler time when you put a movie in a VCR and you start watching it (I dont like going through menu's and previews).

I don't remember my first movie experience with a stereo soundtrack. However I definitely remember my first movie experience with a Dolby surround soundtrack, it was Star Wars at the Loews Times Square, New York, in 1977. The ticket line was incredibly long and me and my friends barely got in. We were seated in the 2nd or 3rd row and there were large speakers/subwoofers lined up under the screen. It was followed later that year by Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It was an awesome experience. A few years later I was in a AV store and saw a Pioneer Laserdisc demo of Close Encounters, purchased a LD player a few months later along with the Laserdisc of Close Encounters, and hooked it up to my Pioneer QX-8000 Quad receiver and 25" Zenith TV. I added a Super-Beta Hi-Fi VCR to the system when they became available. My front speakers were Empire octagon shaped three way with 15" down firing woofers (I forget the model number). It was like having two subwoofers. The early beginning of surround sound home theater.

Star Wars was the first modern film to be Dolby surround, that was essentially quad. the front 3 channels were all discreet, L- was L center was the quad R, and L was the quad R rear, and the rear was a matrix of the left rear. Early VHS were all done this way and a VCR with Hi-Fi stereo could decode it with capable amp-(avr).
The actual 1st movie in surround was "Fantasia" by Disney.
I remember going bonkers at first with VHS surround. Had no clue as to what and everything else, there was no internet to learn from. It was the music VHS that really got me going.Can't remember the 1st, if Fantasia counts it was that.

A 70mm print of the reissue cut was the first time I remember noticing split surrounds.

I also saw the Special Edition of Close Encounters in 70mm 6 track Dolby stereo. However, I believe it was Superman (1978) in 70mm 6 track where I first noticed stereo surrounds.

Funnily enough I don't remember the first movie I saw in the theater in Stereo..
BUT I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER "EARTHQUAKE" IN SENSURROUND!!!!!!
Man those HUGE SUBWOOFERS were really something...I'm amazed that no theaters COLLAPSED from those REALLY LOW RUMBLES!!!!

I saw Earthquake, Midway and Rollercoaster in the theater in sensurround. I can't tell you my first surround movie. Star Wars??? I don't know. Remember seeing Apocalypse Now in the theater and was blown away. It was one of the first dvds I purchased.

Funnily enough I don't remember the first movie I saw in the theater in Stereo..
Man those HUGE SUBWOOFERS were really something...I'm amazed that no theaters COLLAPSED from those REALLY LOW RUMBLES!!!!
I saw (heard) it in sensurround as well. At the Ziegfeld theatre in N.Y. I thought a subway was going underneath then realized there was no subway nearby. Incredible.

Funny you should mention this. I saw Earthquake at the old Madison Theater in downtown Mansfield OH. The theater, long gone now, closed in the late 70's, was in need of repair at the time. During the movie, when the Sensurround speakers kicked in, the plaster started falling off the ceiling in big chunks. I thought "Man.... these special effects just keep getting better and better!" :D

However, I believe it was Superman (1978) in 70mm 6 track where I first noticed stereo surrounds.

I think "Superman" was the first movie since "How the West Was Won" to use stereo surrounds. HTWWW was able to do it because it was the last "real" Cinerama feature and used separate fullcoat 35mm magnetic for the sound.

My first multichannel 5.1 movie was "A Bug's Life" dvd in Dolby Digital played on a Mitsubishi 46" TV. The experience was absolutely glorious. I had an Infinity SSW-212 sealed servo sub which was more than up to the task. "Terminator 2" VHS tape played in Dolby Pro Logic was also reference material. In fact, the bass in that VHS tape is better than the DVD and blu-ray that have since replaced the tape.

My fondest memories in "surround sound" go back to the days of VHS tapes and Dolby Pro Logic Surround and will never be forgotten. Those were good times for sure.

My first multichannel 5.1 movie was "A Bug's Life" dvd in Dolby Digital played on a Mitsubishi 46" TV. The experience was absolutely glorious. I had an Infinity SSW-212 sealed servo sub which was more than up to the task. "Terminator 2" VHS tape played in Dolby Pro Logic was also reference material. In fact, the bass in that VHS tape is better than the DVD and blu-ray that have since replaced the tape.

My fondest memories in "surround sound" go back to the days of VHS tapes and Dolby Pro Logic Surround and will never be forgotten. Those were good times for sure.

One VHS that got me was "Fried Green Tomatoes" the scene where the train is coming in, you could swear one was in the room.
And I still will get up to answer the door when no one is there, due to sound effects!

Although mostly immersed in the visual aspect of movies back then (duh!), I remember seeing How the West Was Won in Cinerama and Fantasia at a very posh theater back in the day. The first that struck me for the surround effects was a special Midnight pre-release showing of Star Wars.

Although mostly immersed in the visual aspect of movies back then (duh!), I remember seeing How the West Was Won in Cinerama and Fantasia at a very posh theater back in the day. The first that struck me for the surround effects was a special Midnight pre-release showing of Star Wars.

Like I said, Fantasia was the 1st movies in 4 channel sound. Star Wars was the 1st film in Dolby Surround. You obviously got a treat many other were denied due to equipment placed in certain venues. ($$)

My first memory of a multichannel movie was a laserdisc demonstration of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in the 80s. I was shown the cafe scene and was so tickled to hear the ambient crowd chatter and tinkling of glasses, etc all around while the dialogue remained centered. That experience led me to buy a LD player and my first surround system a few years later.

I can't recall the first movie I saw in stereo or surround sound. But I do recall my first experience when I set up a dolby pro logic system at home. Terminator 2 laserdisc was amazing.

Back