YouTube 5.1 - anyone who tried?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll check out my Apple TV 4K later with tvOS 14.7; but what content has some 5.1 in it to try?

How to tell per Mike's article link above:

YouTube TV says, “The list of supported devices is not yet available. To know if your device supports 5.1 audio, go to “stats for nerds” from the player controls menu. You’ll see ac-3 (381) as audio codec when outputting 5.1 audio.”

I'll check out my Apple TV 4K later with tvOS 14.7; but what content has some 5.1 in it to try?

How to tell per Mike's article link above:

YouTube TV says, “The list of supported devices is not yet available. To know if your device supports 5.1 audio, go to “stats for nerds” from the player controls menu. You’ll see ac-3 (381) as audio codec when outputting 5.1 audio.”

I’ve seen some test videos for 5.1. But only for Premium customers, which is why I can’t get it…

Interesting...I know that users can no longer upload/playback 5.1 audio content on YouTube. That's really weird.
I'm pretty sure it's intended only for premium PPV content (films and television shows). If you aren't a studio/distributor, you can't use it. This may change as immersive audio seems to be going more mainstream. Can't be long till Google jumps on the Atmos train with YouTube Music.

I'm pretty sure it's intended only for premium PPV content (films and television shows). If you aren't a studio/distributor, you can't use it. This may change as immersive audio seems to be going more mainstream. Can't be long till Google jumps on the Atmos train with YouTube Music.
It was intended, but users could upload 5.1 a couple years ago. All non-professional user-created 5.1 content has been downgraded to stereo as of 2018-ish.

Back