Maybe Oldfield Five Miles Out and Crises in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got a response from the label releasing these:

"We are sorry you are not happy with the quality of the Mike Oldfield re-masters - the releases are approved by the artist and every effort is made to ensure the highest quality at prices that offer value for money for all fans.

Universal is always investing in new audio technology and have indeed released a range of Blu-Ray HD quality products in Europe and the UK. At the moment this is a limited range and there are no plans currently to release the Mike Oldfield catalogue on this format, but we value the feedback given by fans and will pass onto Mike's label for consideration"

Boo!! Time to start begging Mike on his FB page to get this sorted.

Finally got a response from the label releasing these:

"We are sorry you are not happy with the quality of the Mike Oldfield re-masters - the releases are approved by the artist and every effort is made to ensure the highest quality at prices that offer value for money for all fans.

Universal is always investing in new audio technology and have indeed released a range of Blu-Ray HD quality products in Europe and the UK. At the moment this is a limited range and there are no plans currently to release the Mike Oldfield catalogue on this format, but we value the feedback given by fans and will pass onto Mike's label for consideration"

Boo!! Time to start begging Mike on his FB page to get this sorted.

even "just" adding DTS (even better DTS 96/24) to the Mike Oldfield Deluxe Ed DVD's would be a major boon!!

even "just" adding DTS (even better DTS 96/24) to the Mike Oldfield Deluxe Ed DVD's would be a major boon!!

"Even 'just'" offering all of the 5.1 mixes as high-res FLAC downloads would be a worthwhile thing for Mike and surround fans alike!
The Tubular Bells download is great! :)

Crisis and Five Miles Out are available at Amazon.de for pre-order. Shipping date in Germany is 13. September 2013.

Just pre-ordered my copies.

Markus

Lizardking,

Im form Chile and i could buy from B&W. I used my chilean credit card with a USA address and it worked. and I have to say, I love it. I never heard Tubular Bells before, so I could listen to it with a clean mind, and its a great album, and the mix is ver good, I cant compare it to another mix, so its better for me so I love the one I have :D

ink

I have both the 5.1 FLACs and the quad SACD of Tubular Bells and I much prefer the quad mix. It's not just the mix that's different, there's a ton of reverb added in the new mix to hide things that I assume Mike thought didn't sound too good. It would have been better to just put the quad out on multi channel FLACs. Sometimes musicians are not the best judge of their own music, look at Saint-Sans who wouldn't allow Carnival Of The Animals to be published im his lifetime because he thought it wasn't serious enough and would ruin is reputation.

just a short notice: my Crises super-duper-deluxe edition came in a few minutes ago and the dvd has dolby 5.1 and dts 5.1 96/24

just a short notice: my Crises super-duper-deluxe edition came in a few minutes ago and the dvd has dolby 5.1 and dts 5.1 96/24

That's good news.

Mine is stuck in the parcel service. I get 98% of my Amazon express orders next day... but if I eager for something DHL shelf my parcel for a day without reason... arghhhhhhhhh

Markus

power dvd says 1509 Kbps

Excellent! 24/96 and 1509, can't ask for much more on a DVD-Video release. Hopefully we get a 24/96 flac download from Bowers & Wilkins sometime in 2015, lol.

I'm mad I didn't pre-order this at 33 pounds from Amazon UK when I had the chance, it's much more expensive at most other places now, just pre-ordered from Amazon Canada for $62. :(

Pre-ordered Five Miles Out from Amazon UK, still cheaper even after transatlantic shipping. Thanks for checking.

The logic of 24/96 with a lossy codec escapes me. Surely the bits would be better spent improving the parts of the spectrum we can actually hear, rather than wasting them on the addition of stuff that our amps can't amplify, our speakers can't reproduce and our ears can't hear.

Even if you believe in 24/96 and claim you can hear it, surely a better rendition of the core 16/48 is prefferable given the fixed bit rate.

Well, I just managed to place an order with SpinCDs- I have no idea though whether they will actually get any in stock. Worth a shot though!

The logic of 24/96 with a lossy codec escapes me. Surely the bits would be better spent improving the parts of the spectrum we can actually hear, rather than wasting them on the addition of stuff that our amps can't amplify, our speakers can't reproduce and our ears can't hear.

Even if you believe in 24/96 and claim you can hear it, surely a better rendition of the core 16/48 is prefferable given the fixed bit rate.

Is there anything better they could give the 24/48 core? As you've noted 1509 is the maximum bit-rate for dts whether you're sending dts 5.1 or dts 2496 5.1, there is just additional metadata in the codec that could also be reserved for a 7th channel (dts:es 6.1) or for the 96kHz sampling data. Is there such a thing as 16/48 dts?

Why I'm excited about the fact it's 24/96 is mainly because it means there's a chance Mike has listened to people's complaints about the DD 5.1 on the previous releases and perhaps further down the road we might get a full lossless Blu-ray or .flac download.

Is there anything better they could give the 24/48 core? As you've noted 1509 is the maximum bit-rate for dts whether you're sending dts 5.1 or dts 2496 5.1, there is just additional metadata in the codec that could also be reserved for a 7th channel (dts:es 6.1) or for the 96kHz sampling data. Is there such a thing as 16/48 dts?

Why I'm excited about the fact it's 24/96 is mainly because it means there's a chance Mike has listened to people's complaints about the DD 5.1 on the previous releases and perhaps further down the road we might get a full lossless Blu-ray or .flac download.

Well DTS is a lossy codec, so it seems clear to me that the more bits you give to the core the better it sounds. Bits used for 24/96 extension mean there are less bits for the core. You are correct that DTS does not have 16/48, even DTS CDs were 20/44.1. I was wrong to mention 16/48.

Now you've stated it explicity I understand why you are excited by the DTS 24/96. It should indeed mean there is a 24/96 master and as you say it may mean Mike Oldfield has listened to complaints about the DD 5.1 only previous releases. I would have been pretty peeved about DD 5.1 too.

Back