Maybe Oldfield Five Miles Out and Crises in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just happy to see the man, himself, on our forum. When the artists whose music we all love are here to hear our thoughts and opinions on their offerings, especially where surround sound is concerned, it shows us they care about their fans. Mike, again, thanks for your contributions to our "addiction", and it's nice to see you share our enthusiasm.

Is that right about Mike O. being on this forum?
If yes, I would hope that he could take into account that there are some lost sales by not doing Dvd Audio layer any more on his releases, having some of his titles in Dolby Digital only is a real shame, I didn't buy those releases as a result and I am sure there are many others that haven't as well.

peter

I love the mixes on Hergest Ridge & Ommadawn - pity they were only Dolby Digital and weren't true hi-rez... Didn't buy Tubular Bells... I'd love to hear the Hi-rez verison of Tubular Bells in 5.1...:( But you can't get it here...

Lizardking,

Im form Chile and i could buy from B&W. I used my chilean credit card with a USA address and it worked. and I have to say, I love it. I never heard Tubular Bells before, so I could listen to it with a clean mind, and its a great album, and the mix is ver good, I cant compare it to another mix, so its better for me so I love the one I have :D

ink

I love the mixes on Hergest Ridge & Ommadawn - pity they were only Dolby Digital and weren't true hi-rez... Didn't buy Tubular Bells... I'd love to hear the Hi-rez verison of Tubular Bells in 5.1...:( But you can't get it here...

I'd love to hear them in Hi-Res 5.1. Its a shame the others, Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, & Ommadawn were released in DD but I wanted the 5.1 so I bought them. I've the 5.1 SACD of Tubular Bells, & Tubular Bells 2003 (5.1 DVD-Audio), along with the Boxed set of SQ vinyl from my student days which drew me into Quad!

That B&W hi res 5.1 flac is superb. I'm really surprised that format of download is so rare; the only other one I know of right now is Burning Shed's download edition of Anathema's "Weather Systems." I for one hope we see more bands embracing the hi-res 5.1 flac download format.

From the Super Deluxe Edition Facebook page
1045032_515562758517313_2058091580_n.jpg
...just need to decide if I really need five discs worth of this.

The Crises set interests me as the extra content (especially the live stuff) looks pretty decent...but the price is pretty steep I think. I'm going to wait and see how far it drops and what the format of the 5.1 mix is before I commit.

The Crises set interests me as the extra content (especially the live stuff) looks pretty decent...but the price is pretty steep I think. I'm going to wait and see how far it drops and what the format of the 5.1 mix is before I commit.

I agree, Like Mike but not that much, universal packages have been qute reasonable recently so hopefully this will change

Agreed. Amazon usually takes care of lowering the cost or refunding you the difference if the price goes down between the time you order and when it's shipped. I've gotten notifications that they've refunded money back to my card after the fact if they found the item at a lower price. Good on 'em.

Well, the detailed track listings are out!
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/mike-oldfield-crises-and-five-miles-out-reissue-buying-guide

My takeaways:

• Woot! The amazing 12" version of "Moonlight Shadow" is included. I have it on the 1993 CD single but that sounds pretty thin and since the "Platinum Collection" from 2006, which contained it, had too many lame tracks for my tastes, I look forward to the remaster on this set.
  • Very nice to see all the other bonus tracks, some tasty stuff.
  • Sucks that "Rite of Man" is absent. Makes no sense.
  • Still no info on the 5.1 sound quality. I have to assume that means DD again. Sad, but, well, I'll still buy.
  • Meh: Crises 5.1 is stuck in the box. I'll get the 2-CD version and copy the 5.1 from a friend. There, I said it. Hopefully B&W will release the other 5.1 mixes in hi-res at some point.

Which configurations are you guys gonna buy?

Back