Yes - Close to the Edge 5.1 DVD-A/BluRay in October

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How could your poor old eyes missed that? Mine are struggling to read the lyrics in the booklet, doh!

I have had a good listen to the 5.1 mix on Close To The Edge, I like it but........

The Stereo original mix 96/24 kHz sounds amazing.

I don't know why but the stereo image just sounds better to my ears on this occasion. The drum sound in 5.1 sounds a bit weird. The busy drum sound is a highlight for me on the original album. The vocals are also very different in 5.1

Hey, did anybody check already the studio outtakes? I love the raw sound of the bass and drums of siberia!

Happy new year, all!

Here's a bit of news I picked up on this Yesfan website regarding the upcoming SW remixes: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnyesm.htm

The Yes Album will be next, in the first half of 2014, followed by Going for the One later in the year.

If this is true, that makes me very happy! Throw in "Relayer" this year too, and we will really have it made! :)

Happy new year, all!

Here's a bit of news I picked up on this Yesfan website regarding the upcoming SW remixes: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnyesm.htm

If this is true, that makes me very happy! Throw in "Relayer" this year too, and we will really have it made! :)

Ah- good ol' Henry; he's well-connected, so that's almost certainly true.

Not what I would have chosen, but very exciting nonetheless.

It seems I cannot edit my previous reply.

Did a few tests and it seems that my BD player doesn't route the LFE channel to the main speakers even if I set it up as with no subwoofer present. That makes sense regarding movies but not for music!.

Come to think of it, the real issue is that the LFE channel should not be used for music. It's like undefeatable factory bass management that forces you to use bass management even if you own USD 100,000 main speakers (not my case, mind you).

So I don't think I will be getting CttE in multichannel (not BD nor DVD-A), even if it is one of my favorite albums.

It seems I cannot edit my previous reply.

Did a few tests and it seems that my BD player doesn't route the LFE channel to the main speakers even if I set it up as with no subwoofer present. That makes sense regarding movies but not for music!.

Come to think of it, the real issue is that the LFE channel should not be used for music. It's like undefeatable factory bass management that forces you to use bass management even if you own USD 100,000 main speakers (not my case, mind you).

So I don't think I will be getting CttE in multichannel (not BD nor DVD-A), even if it is one of my favorite albums.

Don't let that stop you. I have found that the LFE channel is redundant on most music 5.1 disks and I believe it is for CTTE. By redundant I mean the front L/R speakers carry the full spectrum of sound that is filtered for the LFE. I usually make a copy of my 5.1 music disks (for backup and car playing) and turn them into 5.0 disks by dropping the LFE channel. I haven't noticed a problem yet.

Don't let that stop you. I have found that the LFE channel is redundant on most music 5.1 disks and I believe it is for CTTE. By redundant I mean the front L/R speakers carry the full spectrum of sound that is filtered for the LFE. I usually make a copy of my 5.1 music disks (for backup and car playing) and turn them into 5.0 disks by dropping the LFE channel. I haven't noticed a problem yet.
Thanks, sukothai.

That is interesting. It may explain why my player can be set up for no subwoofer but the only thing that that does is that the output is disabled (I think).

Looks like SW had already begun remixing "Tales from Topographic Oceans" too!
Boy, if we can get that one in the fall, along with "The Yes Album" in the Spring and "Going for the One" in the Summer, what a great year it will be indeed! :)

Boy, if we can get that one in the fall, along with "The Yes Album" in the Spring and "Going for the One" in the Summer, what a great year it will be indeed! :)

Tales From... along with Relayer are my must haves, and I wasn't even that keen on TFTO when it came out.

Tales From... along with Relayer are my must haves, and I wasn't even that keen on TFTO when it came out.

Like you, I found Tales disappointing until I saw them perform it live at the Montreal Forum and was utterly blown away. I have loved it since and it's a goto fave on my iPhone. (Track 3 is still my least fave tho.) This album could be spectacular in surround. I hope Steve can take the time required to make it so. There's a lot of music and elements in there. Maybe I'm going to learn to love track 3!

RT, my lad, you can't drop a bombshell like that and not provide a bit more detail. How do we know this?

@all my German friends here:

"Yes....have been working towards a new album and start recording it in Jan 2014... The new album is expected prior to the summer... 2014 will also see The Yes Album and then Going for the One re-released with remixes by Steven Wilson and bonus material." - Henry

Sounds like we may finally see some "10s" from you lot in the voting for these gems, yes??? How can you resist "Awaken" in 5.1???

:banana: (y) :cool: :sun :phones :smokin

RT, my lad, you can't drop a bombshell like that and not provide a bit more detail. How do we know this?

@all my German friends here:

"Yes....have been working towards a new album and start recording it in Jan 2014... The new album is expected prior to the summer... 2014 will also see The Yes Album and then Going for the One re-released with remixes by Steven Wilson and bonus material." - Henry

Sounds like we may finally see some "10s" from you lot in the voting for these gems, yes??? How can you resist "Awaken" in 5.1???

:banana: (y) :cool: :sun :phones :smokin

hmmm. You are right. All YES releases SHOULD get a 10!
But we are germans, so who knows what will drive us crazy......:yikes
Awaken in stereo is an 11! That is, what I can say right now. :)

I thought what drove the Germans on here crazy was people voting based on their opinion of the music, rather than just on the sound quality :mad:@:!!!

GREAT! Glad to have you all finally on board! :)

As far as what drives you Germans crazy, I have quite a few German friends and they have already told me, though I can't repeat it here...

I literally can't wait for Awaken, Parallels, etc in 5.1.

:banana: :sun :phones (y) :D

Wein.jpg

Back