Keane - Hopes and Fears 20 (SDE BluRay #21 w/David Kosten Atmos Mix May 20th, 2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered, I love this album! It is hard to love the shopping costs to The Netherlands just as much.

I asked about it for PSB mentioning it would be easier to swallow the shipping costs if we could order a couple titles at the same time, Paul told me on X they’d never do that and then chastised me lumping me in with a blanket statement about people always having something to bitch about. I’ve spent several hundred Canadian on the SDE series and twice have saved money on windows of titles overlapping including ordering Suede with Dylan and another time ordering Eno with Shakespeares Sister, seems odd to treat good customers that way. I posted my order history to show I’ve been supporting the series for a long time (with order numbers scratched out) and he blocked me. I didn’t curse or insult him. Unusual behaviour. Nevertheless I’m compelled to order Keane and notice that Wham is still available so I could have saved shipping costs there, but the window was advertised as closing back in Feb. I am not rolling in money, just ordering two titles together saves almost CDN$10.
Yeah, definitely a poor reaction on his part. This is why it's important to have calm social media habits and customer service teams. I imagine he browsed Twitter a little too much and needs to log off, honestly. I'm in no way affiliated with SDE, but I'm sorry that happened to you.

At home playing this half way thru. Very nice songs reading the lyrics describes a certain mood.
My son came in during the first song he liked it...

Ok the dualdisc is very cheap out there no reason not to have a copy.

And this is sparse music.
Honestly the 5.1 mix on this sounds fine to me I don't have golden ears.
What was wrong with it?
I'll play it again as time permits maybe there is a big defect I'm not noticing...

I fell in love with this album right away when it came out.
Spent a bit on Keane over the years as for the first album have the sacd,dual disk(dvd audio) and bought 3 of the cd's and gave to my kids for Christmas present and they all loved it as well and starting buying their next albums in triplicate as well so big Keane fan's in our household and Tom Chaplin's vocals are fantastic. As I could just borrow the Keane cd's from kids didn't buy myself copies so perfect timing to get the rest of the Keane albums in Atmos,:).
All 6 of their albums are good in my books and also picked up Tom Chaplin's solo Christmas album and he has 2 other solo albums that are pretty good as well, I would rate Keane albums higher but with that voice I still enjoyed his solo albums.

Now I see the David Kosten connection as he worked on 2019(6th album) Cause and Effect and he worked on Tom Chaplin solo stuff as well. I hope he gets to do more with Keane in Atmos.

Last edited:
Playing the SACD now for only the 2nd time. Though there are some clunkers IMO, in general I like it more than that first spin years ago.
Has it been determined if the 2 channel mix is new or rehash of a previous mastering, and if the latter, which one.
If the stereo presentation on Bluray improves on this SACD then I might go for it.

Playing the SACD now for only the 2nd time. Though there are some clunkers IMO, in general I like it more than that first spin years ago.
Has it been determined if the 2 channel mix is new or rehash of a previous mastering, and if the latter, which one.
If the stereo presentation on Bluray improves on this SACD then I might go for it.
I haven't heard anything about new stereo mixes being made. I talk about dynamics and whatnot in this earlier post, but I haven't compared EQing or anything. The mastering will likely be the same as the upcoming set remaster, which will likely be rather loud.

I have the 5.1 Dual disc. I don't typically double dip on surround releases unless it's a major upgrade or something I really like. It's only happened twice so far. DSOTM and Moondance. Animals is also in the plan. I'm not convinced this is an upgrade, and it's not one I really like. But I hope you all do.

Honestly, I don't know how many US folks know this album very well. I stumbled upon it, by chance. It was early 2005 and I had taken my oldest son to the local Mall, he wanted to go to Abercrombie/Fitch to look at some shorts. I was in the back with him, and a song was playing across their speaker system and it stopped me in my tracks. For me, it was a style I'd never heard and I was instantly dying to know what it was. I went and asked an employee what was playing, they went back and checked....it was Keane, Everybody's Changing. I was hooked....went to Best Buy and actually found it and I've been a huge fan since.
From one extreme to another, as I’ve never heard of Keane or know who they are.

I asked about it for PSB mentioning it would be easier to swallow the shipping costs if we could order a couple titles at the same time, Paul told me on X they’d never do that and then chastised me lumping me in with a blanket statement about people always having something to bitch about. I’ve spent several hundred Canadian on the SDE series and twice have saved money on windows of titles overlapping including ordering Suede with Dylan and another time ordering Eno with Shakespeares Sister, seems odd to treat good customers that way. I posted my order history to show I’ve been supporting the series for a long time (with order numbers scratched out) and he blocked me. I didn’t curse or insult him. Unusual behaviour. Nevertheless I’m compelled to order Keane and notice that Wham is still available so I could have saved shipping costs there, but the window was advertised as closing back in Feb. I am not rolling in money, just ordering two titles together saves almost CDN$10.
I’ve reached out to Paul and SDE multiple times requesting the numbered slipcover to the Soft Cell release and… crickets. Your experience seems to reinforce that customer service doesn’t appear to be Paul’s forte.

Oof... To me, the U.S. track listing is pretty much a perfect album: all killer, no filler. I don't think any subsequent Keane album has topped it. I love the juxtaposition of happy music with bleak lyrics.
This should be up my alley based on your description, since I am a huge fan of The Smiths…

This is an instant buy for me. :SB

The album is immense, and was the soundtrack of my life for the year or so after it first came out. I tracked down the SACD several years ago, but the multi-channel always sounded "broken" to me - like someone had messed up the channel placement and/or phase in some way... (I'm going to dig it out and give it another listen, just to see if it's as bad as I remeber it being...)

I'm stoked that this looks like it's going to be a new surround mix. Hopefully it'll be done right this time. :)

Back