Keane - Hopes and Fears 20 (SDE BluRay #21 w/David Kosten Atmos Mix May 20th, 2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keane were quite huge here in Europe back then. I like this album very much as well and will likely buy it - despite the rather prohibitive p&p involved.
I too decided to buy it, but I am finding the overall cost of $42 USD (including the postage) a bit steep, not that there is much that can be done about it. I really wish that SDE would start to offer combined shipments so that we could all save money on the postage....after all, this doesn't affect SDE's bottom line.

If you're looking for a dynamic mastering of Keane in stereo on the Blu-Ray, you're likely not going to find it here. There are a few tracks from the Hopes and Fears 20 set that have already been released for download, and their 24-bit, 96kHz versions still seem to be mastered rather loudly, seemingly identically to their 16-bit, 44.1kHz versions. There are a number of digital masterings of the album out there, including...
  • The original CD release (Ted Jenson)
    • Same between the US and UK releases (though the latter has a resequenced track listing and a bonus track)
    • I believe the same mastering is present on the 2009 deluxe edition
  • The high-rez version on the dualdisc DVD side
    • Slightly more dynamic than the original CD (likely an alternate master by Ted Jenson)
  • The SACD-layer of the SACD (Doug Sax)
    • The most dynamic version
    • Not sure if the same mastering is on the CD layer of the release
Here's a visual comparison of the CD and the DVD-A masterings. Again, it's slight.
1711468663197.png

Keane, and this album in particular, did quite well in Canada at the time. I have fond memories of listening to this album. There were definitely hints of Coldplay, whom were also making it big here around the same era. British bands generally do well here in Canada.

I too decided to buy it, but I am finding the overall cost of $42 USD (including the postage) a bit steep, not that there is much that can be done about it. I really wish that SDE would start to offer combined shipments so that we could all save money on the postage....after all, this doesn't affect SDE's bottom line.
I asked about it for PSB mentioning it would be easier to swallow the shipping costs if we could order a couple titles at the same time, Paul told me on X they’d never do that and then chastised me lumping me in with a blanket statement about people always having something to bitch about. I’ve spent several hundred Canadian on the SDE series and twice have saved money on windows of titles overlapping including ordering Suede with Dylan and another time ordering Eno with Shakespeares Sister, seems odd to treat good customers that way. I posted my order history to show I’ve been supporting the series for a long time (with order numbers scratched out) and he blocked me. I didn’t curse or insult him. Unusual behaviour. Nevertheless I’m compelled to order Keane and notice that Wham is still available so I could have saved shipping costs there, but the window was advertised as closing back in Feb. I am not rolling in money, just ordering two titles together saves almost CDN$10.

Keane, and this album in particular, did quite well in Canada at the time. I have fond memories of listening to this album. There were definitely hints of Coldplay, whom were also making it big here around the same era. British bands generally do well here in Canada.
Thankful we’ve seen a few good gigs here over the last ten years or so. I saw Chapterhouse at Lee’s Palace in 2010, The Verve did one of their 5 NA ‘09 shows in Toronto, Jesus Jones are playing this Saturday and always put on a good live show, James did gigs in ‘08, ‘10 and ‘19, Ride and Charlatans both come through regularly…wish we could see more of them, I’d be all over a Ned’s show, PWEI, etc

Another of my favorites from this album. It's all about the lyrics, the lead singer battles alcoholism, well documented. This song addresses it a bit. Sad.

I found the SACD on ebay for a reasonable price just last month, so I got it, thinking that since there was no trace of a physical hires/multichannel release after the official 20th anniversary boxset was announced, there wouldn't be one. Well I was wrong... Pre-ordered that one on the spot. And may sell the SACD off...

If you're looking for a dynamic mastering of Keane in stereo on the Blu-Ray, you're likely not going to find it here. There are a few tracks from the Hopes and Fears 20 set that have already been released for download, and their 24-bit, 96kHz versions still seem to be mastered rather loudly
There is a reason for that; the album is not part of the much-bandied "loudness wars," as some have complained. The album was intentionally mastered loudly because Keane didn't use guitars on the album; it's mostly just drums and piano. To give the sound a harder edge and more energy, the band/producer deliberately mastered at a louder volume to make up for the lack of guitars. I remember this fact every time "Somewhere Only We Know" comes up in a random-shuffle playlist. ;) It's one of my favorite albums.

Thanks for posting a couple of songs gorgeous sounding a counterplay to sad lyrics I guess.
I have the dualdisc. Did not remember it has videos or how the mix sounded. Been a while since I played it. I will try to put it thru a quick spin to verify I want to order the new version.
Yes compared to DV and rhino these SDEs are expensive. An unfriendly comment from Paul regarding group purchases to save on postage. I can always choose not to spend my money at his site......

Thanks for posting a couple of songs gorgeous sounding a counterplay to sad lyrics I guess.
I have the dualdisc. Did not remember it has videos or how the mix sounded. Been a while since I played it. I will try to put it thru a quick spin to verify I want to order the new version.
Yes compared to DV and rhino these SDEs are expensive. An unfriendly comment from Paul regarding group purchases to save on postage. I can always choose not to spend my money at his site......
Buy it my man. I honestly don't think 2500 units will last very long. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. It's actually more impactful if you watch the videos as they are pretty dramatic.

Must be 10/15 years since I last heard the album, so played it today & this is much much better than I remembered, it's as good a classy Pop album there is ever in this genre, probably oversatuation at the time didn't help but this one for sure will sell out in a week or two.

Instant order for me. I’ve known this band since the release of this album The local college station used to play select cuts. Bought the CD when it came out. Then the DualDisc. I missed the SACD.

Reactions: GOS
Back