Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes...developed after the DTS music discs and are referred to as being Hi-Resolution or "Hi-Rez" discs, DVD-A also supports a limited amount of visual content on the music discs which SACDs do not. If you look at the Polls, you will see what has been released, and in which format in recent years.

and an oher question are those SACD have the true 5.1 surround, becasue I had order as it was listed the blood, Sweat & Tears hi rez with the 4.0 mix is that the original quad mix that was in the 70's? I am not to familar with the SACD disc I did see them at our local best buy back in the early 90's all columbia artists, I do have a creedence Clearwater Revival the concert and it said on the case hybrid stereo super audio CD plays on ALL SACD and cd players, so I played it on my 7.2 yamha 7.2 and all of the music just came from the center and front and left what is the story on that. I thought the sound was supose to come out of all 4 speakers.
huggy

Hello to Huggy, you just prompted me to dig around to see if the site has a one-stop all-inclusive faq that would include surround format specs- if there is one, I didn't find it. You might do better with Google search rather than continue asking off topic questions here, or post questions here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-QuadraphonicQuad-General-Discussions

unless someone has a better thread to suggest.

The short answer to your question is Yes, SACD have the true 5.1 surround, but not all SACDs are multichannel- sounds to me like your Creedence concert is stereo only (but has both CD and SACD layers, hence the 'hybrid'.) If it's stereo-only, your Yamaha's doing the right thing by having nothing in the surrounds. There may be settings to synthesize surround from stereo, but sometimes these aren't available for higher-res digital audio formats like SACD and DVDa. Just because a multichannel layer can have 5.1 channels doesn't mean it always does- many times there's no '.1' (subwoofer) channel and your system has to be correctly set up to direct LF to your subwoofer for it to have an effect. Some SACDs are 4.0, even 3.0- my receivers will display the active channel count, check that before you spend too much time troubleshooting silent channels.

SACDs come in various flavors; an SACD can be stereo, multichannel, or both, and can include a CD layer or not. The SACD layers on a hybrid disc can only be heard when you have an analog connection between player->receiver or an HDMI connection to a receiver that supports hi-res audio via HDMI; this excludes older digital connections (optical toslink and SPDIF) which weren't fast enough, and/or secure enough from piracy, for carrying higher-res audio. Some players can send the SACD's 'native format', DSD, over HDMI, and some receivers and DACs can decode it; otherwise the player should be set to convert the SACD output to PCM format (usually 88.2/24, sometimes 176.4/24) and send that over HDMI. Either way the result is a very high resolution discrete (stereo or 5.1) digital signal to feed your speakers; the DVD audio spec likewise gives very high res discrete surround results.

Hope that helped with your questions, good luck.

Love Vanishing Point...great song...IMO that song is as good as Lido Shuffle and Lowdown(his hits)...and of course King of El Paso...I'd love a good surround treatment of the Silk Degrees album...he did that DIG album in 2001 when most people had written his career off...with the exception of that noise on Sarah(the second song)...an outstanding disc..

Isn't that an effect/part of the production on the track "Sarah" (iirc it's present in the stereo too)..?

Boz Scaggs - DIG

Any chance this album in 5.1 would be released on SACD from AF?

Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase (Blu-ray, deluxe edition, 5.1 mix)

large4938.jpg

Back