Listening to Now in MONO. Blasphemy!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pandemonium Shadow Show - Nilsson mono CD (from RCA Albums collection)
19506422_o3.jpg

Aerial Ballet - Nilsson mono CD (from RCA Albums collection)
harry_nilsson-aerial_ballet-front.jpg

005eca06515a2aec71cb8cd4b60ecbe8.jpg

Complete Recordings Vol 5 - Bessie Smith mono 2 CD
c87039gen92.jpg
Twenty-five cents? Ha! No! No! I wouldn't pay twenty-five cents to go in nowhere 'cause listen here: "Up in Harlem every Saturday Night... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH7t4HM4DmY

Although this track is from one of her later "jazz sessions," she was and likely forever will be the World's Greatest Female Blues Singer.

Prior to this being released, Chris Albertson, a client of mine, said it had some surprises. An interview with Ruby, Bessie's Niece by marriage was one of them.

"Gimme a reefer and a gang of gin, slay me 'cause I'm in my sin..."

If you drew up a list of those who were influenced by or directly borrowed from her style, it would be very long indeed. Every artist of note should get such archival treatment.

BTW, is that the Chris Albertson who used to write for Stereo Review?

ED :)

Absolutely! Chris is THE EXPERT on Bessie Smith. Both the 2 LP series in the early '70's and 2 CD series from the '90's have extensive notes from Chris. He won a Grammy for his notes on the '70's Bessie Smith series. He also wrote the definitive Biography of Bessie. Wiki article on Chris: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Albertson
220px-Chris_Albertson_2006.JPG
View attachment 13319

If you drew up a list of those who were influenced by or directly borrowed from her style, it would be very long indeed. Every artist of note should get such archival treatment.

BTW, is that the Chris Albertson who used to write for Stereo Review?

A timeless jewel: Coltrane's A LOVE SUPREME, Impulse! A-77. Though I prefer the stereo version, this one, with the volume cranked, has a 'closer to God' (and Trane) feel....total immersion.

Magical Mystery Tour - Beatles US Mono Promo LP
View attachment 12511

Moby Grape LP
View attachment 12512

Big Bill Blues - Big Bill Broonzy French CD
View attachment 12514

That beatles MMT promo is usually at a great price online. Is that the 45 copy?

any differences worth picking it up for?

and

how good could a mono moby grape album be? I have listened to so little of theirs, i thought it was all about their jams, does it even make a difference form stereo vs mono for them.

The MMT is a '67 Capitol US mono promo LP at 33 1/3, which I got new from a DJ friend in '67.

Actually, the Moby Grape LP was mixed with some very wide separation in 2 ch, which is my favorite way to listen to it, my favorite album. I prefer the extended endings and intros on the 2ch 2 CD Vintage, which includes the entire album.When the album was released, DJ's found that playing the 2ch LP caused things to disappear when reproduced on AM or mono FM. So, it is a bit different mix.

I often will buy favorite albums/CD's on mono pressings for a slightly different experience. Back in the day, I would always pay the extra $1 for a stereo copy of anything. I've had stereo since 1962.

That beatles MMT promo is usually at a great price online. Is that the 45 copy?

any differences worth picking it up for?

and

how good could a mono moby grape album be? I have listened to so little of theirs, i thought it was all about their jams, does it even make a difference form stereo vs mono for them.

Unknown-1.jpeg
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5, and Carpenter: Sea Drift-Leonard Bernstein/NY Philharmonic from 1945, along with Gershwin: An American in Paris - Bernstein/RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra from 1947. UK CD

QL: From your July posting, I never knew that Sally Fields was such a multi-dimensional entertainer...a Top 40 hit in her Flying Nun days? I don't recall that one though most of the others, even if I was only 7 years old a the time thanks to WGLI, Long Island's Top 40 Boss Jock station. John

WLS, the BIG 89 seemed to do their own thing as far as what did or didn't make their Silver Dollar Survey (Top 40.) At that point in time, I listened for a few hours every day. Still, I truly don't remember them playing Sally Field. Heavy rotation? In a word, NO. In light of the Monkees' incredible success, Columbia Pictures would want to market her as a singer.
Felicidad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsDZg3iSRPg&spfreload=10
There is a Flying Nun lyrical tie in: ..."swimming in the sea or flying through the air..."

My Top 40 listening would end a year after the date of that Silver Dollar Survey (11/67.) In late '67, underground radio in Chicago began on FM , first very late at night. Soon, there were many more FM rock options.

Very few other 13 year olds had FM stereo, and a 7" reel deck. My LP collection already topped 100 titles at that point.

It was amusing that both Sally and Hendrix had their names mangled on that survey: "Sally Fields and Jimmy Hendrix." Few people knew who they were at that point.

When I first heard Purple Haze, I ran out and bought the 45. It was life-changing. I've owned 8 copies of Are You Experienced since then. In keeping with this thread, I'm going to spin my German mono CD of Are You Experienced, with the green cover, same as the UK issue.

QL: From your July posting, I never knew that Sally Fields was such a multi-dimensional entertainer...a Top 40 hit in her Flying Nun days? I don't recall that one though most of the others, even if I was only 7 years old a the time thanks to WGLI, Long Island's Top 40 Boss Jock station. John

WLS!!! yes...the big 89! Such a huge part of my childhood.....back in the day. Boogy check.....

I could even hear that station in Ohio...along with WABC in New York...2 powerhouse stations...as a kid I was fascinated with those stations...I could even pick up WKMOX in St Louis for sports...really amazing when you think of the reach of those stations...triggers lots of childhood memories...

image.jpg

These 1953 recordings taken from an Italian radio broadcast do sound their age. But...the remastering these SACDs received has made them quite listenable.

As for the performance, the Italians play their hearts out for Furtwängler... as do the excellent singers.

One of the greatest Ring cycles ever!

Last edited:
Unknown.jpeg
Viper Mad Blues - Various Artists 1927 - 1940 CD

Kickin' the gong around (3:25) Cab Calloway & his Cotton Club Orchestra: Calloway (vcl) directing: Doc Cheatham, Edwin Swayzee, Lamar Wright (tp); DePriest Wheeler, Harry White (tb); Eddie Barefield, Andrew Brown, Arvile Harris, Walter Thomas (reeds); Benny Paine (p); Roy Smeck (g); Al Morgan (b); Leroy Maxie (d); 1933.

Dope head blues (3:14) victoria spivey(vcl); and lonnie johnson (g); 1927.

Cocaine habit blues (1:48) the memphis jug band: Will Slade (hca, g, vcl); Ben Ramey (kazoo, vcl); Charlie Burse (g); Hambone Lewis (jug); unknown banjo; Charlie Nickerson (vcl); 1930.

Pipe dream blues (3:10) hazel meyers (vcl); accompanied by Howard Scott (cor); Fletcher Henderson (p).

Smoking reefers (3:04) larry adler (hca vcl); 1938.

Take a Whiff On me (1:58) leadbelly: (Huddie Ledbetter) (vcl, g); 1934.

Killin' jive (2:51) the cats & the fiddle: Austin Powell, Jimmy Henderson (g); Ernie Price (uke); Chuck Barksdale (b); 1939.

You'se a viper (3:14) stuff smith & his onyx Club boys: Smith (vcl,vln) directing: Jonah Jones (tp); James Sherman (p); Bobby Bennett (g); Cozy Cole (d); 1936.

The stuff is here and it's mellow (1:43) Cleo brown (p, vcl) accompanied by Perry Botkin, Sr. (g); Artie Bernstein (b); Gene Krupa (d); 1935.

Reefer man (1:40) baron lee & the blue rhythm band: Shelton Hemphill, Ed Anderson, Wardell Jones (tp); Henry Hicks, George Washington (tb); Joe Garland, Gene Mikell, Crawford Wethington (reeds); Edgar Hayes (p); Benny James (g); Hayes Alvis (b); O'Neil Spencer (d); Chick Bullock and members of the ensemble (vcl); 1932.

The Onyx hop (1:46) frankie newton & his uptown serenaders: Newton (tp, vcl) directing: Edmond Hall (cl); Pete Brown ( as, vcl); Gene Johnson (as); Cecil Scott (ts); Don Frye (p); Frank Rice (g); O'Neil Spencer (d); Leon LaFell (vcl); 1937.

knockin' myself out (2:58) Lil green accompanied by Simon Henry (p); Big Bill Broonzy (g); Ramson Knowling (b); 1941.

Junker's blues (2:41) champion jack dupree (p, vcl) with Wilson Swain (b); 1940.

Reefer hound blues (2:44) curtis Jones (p, vcl) accompanied by unknown electric guitar and drums; 1938.

The reefer song (2:52) fats waller (p, vcl); 1943.

I'm Feelin' High and Happy (2:42) (The Do-Do Bird's Theme from "Porky In Wackyland") gene krupa & his orchestra: Krupa (d) directing: Tom DiCarlo, Tom Gonsoulin, Dave Schultze (tp); Charles McCamish, Bruce Squires (tb); Murray Williams, George Siravo, Vido Musso, Carl Biesacker (reeds); Milton Raskin (p); Ray Biondi (g); Horace Rollins (b); Helen Ward (vcl); 1938.

When I get low, I get High (2:26) Ella fitzgerald with chick webb & his orchestra: Chick Webb (d) directing: Mario Bauza, Bobby Stark, Taft Jordan (tp); Sandy Williams, Claude Jones (tb); Pete Clark, Edgar Sampson. Elmer Williams, Wayman Carver (reeds); Joe Steele (p); John Truehart (g); Bill Thomas (b); April 1936.

Ol' man river (smoke a little tea) (1:48) cootie Williams & his rug cutters: Cootie Williams (tp); Joe Nanton (tb); Barney Bigard, Johnny Hodges, Harry Carney (reeds); Duke Ellington (p); Billy Taylor (b); Sonny Greer (d); Jerry Kruger (vcl); April 1938.

blue reefer blues (2:55) richard m. Jones & his jazz wizards: Eddie McLaughlin, Jimmy McLeary, Luther Henderson (tp); Edward Saint (tb); John Davis, John McCullin, ?? Heard (reeds); George Reynolds (p); Huey Long (g); Bob Frazier (b); Eddie Green (d); 1935.
Cocaine (3:01) dick justice (vcl).

reefer head woman (3:00) jazz gillum & his jazz boys: Big Bill Broonzy (g); George Barnes (elec g); unknown (b); Washboard Sam (wbd); 1938.

Willie the Weeper (l:10) frankie "half-pint" jaxon accompanied by Blanche Smith Walton (p); 1927.

Cocaine blues (3:12) luke jordan; 1927.

Blue Drag (3:00) freddy taylor & his swing men from harlem: Freddy Taylor (tp, vcl) directing: Charlie Johnson (tp); Chester Lanier, Fletcher Allen (reeds); John Ferrier (p); Oscar Aleman (g); Eugene d'Hellemmes or Joe Riesta (b); William Diemer (d); Paris, March 1935.

A Viper's Moan (3:13) Willie bryant & his orchestra: Robert Cheek, Richard Clark, Edgar Battle (tp); John Haughton, Robert Horton, George Matthews (tb); Glyn Paque, Stanley Payne, Johnny Russell (reeds); Teddy Wilson (p); Arnold Adams (g); Louis Thompson (b); Cozy Cole (d); Willie Bryant (vcl); January 4, 1935.

Neil Sedaka.jpg
After listening to Yes - Relayer loud, then accidentally listening to Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory louder than I should have :upthumb, I need to come down with an old love of mine. I used to have it in stereo a few apartments ago, but I re-found it recently in glorious mono on a U.S. pressing in sweet shape at Value Village and couldn't say no. I can say that the mono has all the fullness of sound the stereo had, just less filling.;)

Back