Listening to Now in MONO. Blasphemy!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ram (mono CD) - Paul McCartney from the Ram deluxe box.

Man, I could smell your breath a mile away, smile away, smile away...

!cid_image001.jpg

The Traffic album is a must-have for collectors, since it has hits not found on the UK MR. FANTASY Lp, mono or stereo.

Every so often I've just gotta pull out a TJB album to play, and it's usually the punchier mono mix. For today:

Herb.jpg

Alpert and the gang were so hot by this time (Spring '66) that although they had a hit with the title track, they could afford not to use the singles-ready likes of "So What's New?" and "Brasilia," which would have been sure-fire Top 40 entries (and Horst Jankowski did get a minor one with the former).

ED :)

Does having a large collection of [very] early single side cut records and the Victrola to play them on count here?

Last time I checked, they were mono. Very cool. Do you have a picture of your Victrola? A Victrola and an Edison cylinder machine are the equipment I'm missing. They would provide a nice contrast to my main system, which has four hard drives.

spikejones324367.jpg

Does having a large collection of [very] early single side cut records and the Victrola to play them on count here?

Some mono vinyl. I color coded them green, blue, and red to highlight which one's sound good, better, best, but they transferred black only. Anyone know how to get a cut and paste to hold the original colors?

Cannonball Adderley Quintet In San Francisco
Apple An Apple a Day
Art Supernatural Fairytales
Bartok Concerto for Orchestra RCA, Music for Strings Percussion & Celeste RCA
Beach Boys All Summer Long S1

Beatles Please Please Me, With The Beatles, For Sale S1, Hard Days Night, Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper S1 S2, MMT US, White Album, Yellow Submarine

Jeff Beck Truth, Cosa Nostra
Bee Gees 1st
Harry Belafonte At Carnegie Hall
Big Brother & The Holding Co. Cheap Thrills
Bizet The Carmen Ballet VIC
Dave Brubeck Time Out
Buffalo Springfield Again
Donald Byrd All Night Long
Byrds Mr. Tambourine Man & UK, Turn, Turn Turn, Fifth Dimension UK, Sweethearts of The Rodeo

Caravan S/T
Leonard Cohen Songs of
Country Joe & The Fish Electric Music for The Mind & Body
Cream Fresh, Disraeli Gears, Wheels of Fire
Miles Davis Kind of Blue, Someday My Prince Will Come
Debussy Images RCA
Doors S/T, Strange Days, Waiting for The Sun UK
Dylan The Times They Are A-Changin’, The Free Wheelin’ Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde

Duke Ellington Bal Masque
Manuel De Falla The Three Cornered Hat
Family Music In A Doll’s House
George Gershwin Concerto in F RCA
Bennie Green Blows His Horn
Jimi Hendrix Axis
Herd Paradise Lost
Incredible String Band S/T, The 5000 Spirits or The Layers of the Onion, The Hangman’s Beautiful Daughter S1 S2

Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow
July S/T
Kaleidoscope (Mexican) S/T
Michel Legrand Le Grand Jazz
Light House All Stars At Laguna (TNE)
Love Forever Changes, S/T, Da Capo
Mandrake Memorial S/T
John Martyn London Conversation, The Tumbler
John Mayall Plays Klooks Kleek, The Bluesbreakers, Crusade, Blues From Laurel Canyon

Jackie McLean 4, 5 & 6
Mendelssohn A Midsummer Nights Dream London

Moody Blues Days of Future Passed, In Search of The Lost Chord, On The Threshold of a Dream, To Our Children’s Children’s Children

Offenbach Gaite Parisienne
Oscar Peterson West Side Story
Wilson Pickett Best of
Pink Floyd Piper at The Gates of Dawn RI, Saucerful of Secrets
Pretty Things S.F. Sorrow (200 gram)
Procol Harum S/T, Shine On Brightly
Prokofieff Symphonic Suite of Waltzes
Otis Redding Hits
Revelation S/T S1
Rimsky Korsakov Le Coq D’Or Suite (The Golden Cockerel)
Rolling Stones S/T, 12x5, Now, Out of Our Heads, Big Hits (High Tides & Green Grass), Aftermath, Between the Buttons, Beggars Banquet, TSMR, Let it Bleed

Savoy Brown Shakedown, Blue Matter, A Step Further
Schubert Death & the Maiden S2
Schumann Carnaval S1 S2
Sibelius Second Symphony London
Simon & Garfunkel Parsley, Sage Rosemary, and Thyme, Bookends
Frank Sinatra The Voice S1, In The Wee Small Hours, Ring-A-Ding-Ding S1
Small Faces Ogden’s Nut Gone Flake
Spirit The Family That Plays Together S1 S2
Steppenwolf S/T (for the music)
Suppe Overtures
T2 S/T 200 gm.
Duane Tatros Jazz for Moderns
Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto Milstein
Ten Years After S/T, Undead, Stonedhenge, Ssssh, Cricklewood Green
Traffic Mr. Fantasy
Jethro Tull This Was
Various Witches’ Brew, Rock Machine I Love You
Walton Façade
Web Fully Interlocking
West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band Vol. I
The Who Sell Out
Yardbirds For Your Love, Roger The Engineer
Neil Young Time Fades Away
Frank Zappa Freakout S1 S2

How 'bout that. My son has my grandmother's Edison plus about 75 cylinders and it is in operating condition also.

If I could figure out how to post a photo of the Victrola I would. It still Workd too.

Was recently listening to a few CD-R's I'd made of Elvis' hits, from early Sun through 1971 or so. Tracking down the mono for the '60s stuff was daunting, but found all of the ones that mattered. Made these about seven years ago, found them in a box I'd forgotten about, which a lot of other mono comps you can't (heh) find in stores.

We Five's 1967 Lp MAKE SOMEONE HAPPY, mono WLP with the labels reversed. No big deal there. What I can't figure out is why it took so long for the group to follow up their debut Lp from 1965, YOU WERE ON MY MIND; made no sense to sit on the second one, didn't help their career at all.

Why did American Record companies crucify good track running orders ?

That's a very good question indeed and it seems to apply equally across the board.
I have US & UK versions of many albums with vastly different tracklists which is a real shame as it means you colonials never got to hear it as intended.
A great example is the first Clash album. The UK one is a very different record to the "singles & highlights" version released in the US.

Traffic Mr Fantasy Stereo UK and Mono US versions on one CD
Why did American Record companies crucify good track running orders ?

Well, in this instance--and the album in the US was originally packaged and issued as HEAVEN IS IN YOUR MIND, then retitled MR. FANTASY with the same (and different from the UK) cover--the "Paper Sun" 45 played a part in that decision. And made its first stereo appearance anywhere (AFAIK) on this album. One can argue with the way it was done--an early fade of "Paper Sun" opens the album, the rest of the UK single is heard under the title "We're a Fade, You Missed This"--but it's still a fun album for what it is and of course any fan wants the original UK Lp as issued, too (and do check out the mono edition of this one as well).

And as Neil has mentioned The Clash..there is a logic to the US edition as well. Simply put, they were a UK phenomenon that the US label [Columbia/Epic] had no interest in right away. But after the Sex Pistols generated that interest in UK punk, a logical decision was made to include UK single sides for the US release to give a more rounded overview of what the band was about. Since the UK debut Lp was its own great entity, and fans there knew the 45's, it made sense for Epic to do a little fiddling, since they had all these sides available to them but were unsure if there was a fanbase for them here. It turned out there was, and in its way, the US THE CLASH is a nice listen, though it in no way replaces that original UK album. Columbia should also be given credit here for putting out the album at all, given that the group was not generally well known, and many UK 'punk' acts never got a US single (let alone album) release on these shores. I had to travel to Boston to collect all the key UK punk 45's, where that music was popular enough for record stores in that town to stock them regularly. Just FYI.

Back