Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billy Joel-Glass Houses SACD..

How does this sound? I only bought two of MFSL's Billy Joel SACDs. I thought Nylon Curtain had a small improvement over the previous CD version, but then I bought the Piano Man MFSL SACD and thought it sounded awful, very muddy, dull and lifeless. After that I didn't bother to buy any more of them.

There was never a released Surround mix of Glass Houses.

Piano Man, Streetlife Serenade and Turnstyles were released in Quad. Streetlife also had a 4.0 SACD. Stranger & 52nd St. were released on 5.1 SACD's. ALL of which I own and HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

And, yes, An Innocent Man was first released on a single-layer 2ch SACD, and then on a hybrid MoFi 2ch SACD. I've not heard the MoFi An Innocent Man 2ch SACD. I own the single-layer Columbia 2ch SACD. IMHO, it is head and shoulders the best sounding version I've heard.

41qHu547-oL._SX355_.jpg

Although Joel doesn't perform on it, his Fantasies & Delusions (quasi-classical) performed by Richard Joo was also released on a single-layer 2ch SACD. RECOMMENDED for both music (if you like classical piano) and fidelity!!

Unknown-1.jpeg

There was also a 4-song umixit disc included in the Best Buy issue of My Lives box set.

IMHO, several MoFi 2ch SACD titles were disappointing, fidelity-wise. Some Band, Billy Joel and Doobie Brothers titles come to mind. Glass Houses and Piano Man were both disappointments for me.

I wish they'd done this one in 5.1 like the other two. Do you prefer this one to the MFSL SACD?

How does this sound? I only bought two of MFSL's Billy Joel SACDs. I thought Nylon Curtain had a small improvement over the previous CD version, but then I bought the Piano Man MFSL SACD and thought it sounded awful, very muddy, dull and lifeless. After that I didn't bother to buy any more of them.

It's hard for me to be objective because I love most of the Billy Joel catalog...it depends on what priorities you have in your music listening...number one for me is not being compressed...some of the best surround mixes can overcome that...but if its stereo..the compressed sound is something you can't hide...so I can say that Glass Houses is not compressed..as you can see HERE..but it doesn't "wow" you like the surround versions of 52nd street and the stranger..it's not even in the same zip code...it lacks the warmth and depth of those 2...I was warned about Piano Man so I avoided the SACD version of that one...over the years I have had many versions of all the BJ catalog...but I can't honestly give any comparison now with Glass Houses and those other versions...it was too long ago to remember the differences...I'd take Quad Linda's advice on the best version available now...this version of Glass Houses won't wow you but I do like it..in short..it doesn't "pop" but it's not compressed either...so I can crank it up and won't get ear bleed...

Now you've done it.....Sabbath is one of my all time faves...so how does it sound?

Fantastic! Only own 2 SHMs and both are stellar (and a bit pricey). This one holds a special place for me, it was my first ever new vinyl purchase back in the day. (Who is this Tony Iommi and what is this magic he does on that guitar?) :music

P.S. - Entire album recorded in one day - 12 hours. Incredible, that's how you do it (y)

It's raining out...I didn't want to go with Sinatra this time...he's too dark sometimes...I need more upbeat today...a little folk like will do...I don't play this one much..but with every play I like it more...The Best of John Denver Live SACD...here it is

Just took delivery of Stevie Wonder's "Fulfillingess' First Finale" and The Who "The Singles" from CDJapan.
Have Stevie on now and it sounds brilliant. The depth and space on 'They Wont Go When I Go' in particular is beautiful.

Unknown-6.jpeg

I agree. The early tracks sound about as good as they ever had, but still not 2015 fidelity. Since it's chronological, the fidelity gets better as the disc goes on. A MUST for Who fans with SACD capability. Like all SHM-SACD's, it's single layer.

Unknown-7.jpeg
Ultimate Tony Bennett
Great music and proably the best these tracks have ever sounded. All that being said, Boulevard of Broken dreams, Because of You and Stranger in Paradise date back to the early 50's, so you good do you think they sound?

images-3.jpeg
Again, great tracks. Much of the music is heavily processed, synthesized, etc. The fidelity is great for the program material, but nothing like music that isn't run through all kinds of reverb and other tricks.

Frank Sinatra-Where Are You MoFi SACD....great sounding disc...let me take a moment to speak to the Sinatra fans...I recently watched the HBO documentary on Frank...this one..and it was excellent...it's divided into 2 parts...both over 2 hours long...I had planned on just watching 1 of them and ended up watching both...over 4 hours...so you know it's good..on another thread I noticed Simon mentioned the upcoming release of Sinatra covering the period from 1935-55...which includes the early radio days...these radio recordings are taken from the original radio transcription discs!....can you imagine that...I'll be anxious to hear what people think of the quality of those recordings...check this out....here is another good option

This one gets panned often. My thoughts were very much like yours. I've owned this album on a cassette, Q8, MoFi 1/2 speed LP, CD, 2 CD expanded and the SACD. The 1/2 speed LP is the only other one that really sounded great.

Tea for the Tillerman-Cat Stevens SACD....excellent sounding disc...very warm vinyl like sound...

This one gets panned often. My thoughts were very much like yours. I've owned this album on a cassette, Q8, MoFi 1/2 speed LP, CD, 2 CD expanded and the SACD. The 1/2 speed LP is the only other one that really sounded great.

Check out the DSD Downloads - mastered from the Analog Tapes vs. via a PCM converter on the SACD edition.
Nice!

Back