Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does that Who disc sound?....Is it this one

Yes, that's the one. It's not bad, some tracks better than others...particularly with the recording of the drums in the earlier tracks (like 'I Can See For Miles' for instance, boxier sounding than I expected). I've only had a couple of fleeting listens so far, to be honest. The version of 'Won't Get Fooled Again' is the single edit too.

I bought it on sale, as I was going to wait for the 'Hits 50' Blu-ray.

I just received the wonderfully reconstructed and restored original 1975 DGG QUAD SACD of Scott Joplin's 'Ragtime' Opera "Tremonisha."

Joplin, widely known for his series of rags extensively used in "The Sting" which brought his wonderful music to worldwide prominence, wrote Tremonisha, an opera in three acts, in 1911 and never lived to see it fully realized. Thankfully, due to the loss of the original manuscript, damaged in a flood, conductor Gunther Schuller reconstructed Joplin's brisk score and together with the Houston Grand Opera, recorded this fascinating 2~disc set commissioned by Germany's DGG which was recorded in DISCRETE Quadraphonic sound by recording engineer Thomas Mowrey.

Pentatone's exquisite hardbound Digibook which houses the two discs and complete libretto has been instrumental in releasing what I consider to be the cream of the crop of Philips and now DGG original Quad recordings of the 70's which have been painfully neglected and some of which have never been released Quadraphonically until now.

I just received the wonderfully reconstructed and restored original 1975 DGG QUAD SACD of Scott Joplin's 'Ragtime' Opera "Tremonisha."

Joplin, widely known for his series of rags extensively used in "The Sting" which brought his wonderful music to worldwide prominence, wrote Tremonisha, an opera in three acts, in 1911 and never lived to see it fully realized. Thankfully, due to the loss of the original manuscript, damaged in a flood, conductor Gunther Schuller reconstructed Joplin's brisk score and together with the Houston Grand Opera, recorded this fascinating 2~disc set commissioned by Germany's DGG which was recorded in DISCRETE Quadraphonic sound by recording engineer Thomas Mowrey.

Pentatone's exquisite hardbound Digibook which houses the two discs and complete libretto has been instrumental in releasing what I consider to be the cream of the crop of Philips and now DGG original Quad recordings of the 70's which have been painfully neglected and some of which have never been released Quadraphonically until now.

Wow, thanks for posting this! I'm very fond of this score but was unaware of this recording. What other titles in the series would you recommend? I seem to recall Lute recommending some Pentatone quad titles as well. Calling all Lutes...

image.jpeg

Chicago Transit Authority

Whoa! I keep forgetting you are on a VERY different schedule!! Happy New Year Lute!

Great album! :upthumb

About 30 minutes ago, it turned January 1, 2016 here in Japan, so...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :party :party :wave :party :party

Same here! HAPPY NEW YEAR LUTE (and all the others overthere :)), I have 7 hours to wait :cool:

Back